• ...and so much more!
  • fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I guess I'm missing it ... what work?

Nothing needs modified on the case (that's why the cheap dies work), just cutting the neck down to 1.62".

Neal,

You are absolutely correct, "nothing" needs to be modified on the case.

The chamber, however, is a different story.

The 357 Herrett case is 1.765" long.

The "SAAMI" 357 Herrett chamber is nominally 1.780" long.

The 357 Herrett chamber case neck diameter is nominally .385".

A 357 Herrett reamer is going to give you .155" of freebore, on top of the throat that is built into the reamer(usually .075"), that is .028" larger than a .358 projectile at a case length of 1.625".

Using a 180g Hornady SS/SP, loaded to the cannelure - you'll have +/- .200" of grossly oversized freebore/jump to the rifling.

If one is satisifed with shotgun like patterns - using a standard .357 Herrett reamer and an A&B barrel would be the way to get it done.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    First off, let me say thanks for the replies! I think with the industry going nuts over pre-fit Savage and AR barrels, there is a lot of potential to hunt with this in Indiana. I'm just trying to build a rifle for myself.

You are correct on the freebore! Using a standard Herrett reamer will result in an excessive freebore length. However, have you actually tried to see the results?

Going from what other info I can gather, every 357 Mag/Max SAAMI chambered rifle out there has over .400" freebore. So, shortening the Herrett brass to 1.62" in a standard chamber would actually be an improvement (less) freebore? I'm quite happy with the "shotgun" patterns I get from my Max.

I'm just curious ... have you actually seen a difference in group sizes with a shortened reamer?

Thanks again! Neal

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I used 1.62" case length 357 Herrett loads with 200gr Hornady's seated at 2.45" OAL in my rechamber on a 16" 357 Max Contender barrel last fall. We used the standard Herrett reamer and I was able to fire 1-1.5" groups consistently which I think is more than accurate enough for the ranges this is good for. The loads were running in the high 1700's and expansion was enough that the deer was down within 50 yards. It's nice to come up with something new and exciting, but sometimes what you have will get the job done just as well.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Hey Bill ... how's that powder coming? I didn't realize you had rechambered a Max to Herrett. That was actually my original intent, was to see about rechambering my 21"Max to a Herrett chamber. I'm happy with the Max velocity, just would like a little easier extraction ... and I fealt the taper'd case Herrett might do that.

Just recently I've learned of forming Herrett's with SPC brass though ... didn't realize how the SPC brass was related to 30/30, until I started reading. With 6.8SPC brass, you can form the same Herrett dimensions, in a rimless cartridge.

A rimless cartridge then opens the world up to bolt and auto guns! A far step from what I thought I was researching to rechamber my TC Contender. In the last few months I've been researching what cost would be to rechamber either a Savage Mod#16 or my AR15. Honestly, both are pretty easy ... and with Shilen pre-fit Savage barrels in .358, it looks very promising to rebarrel a Savage between $200-300.

Thanks, Neal

Top Bottom