25 years ago today the Challenger exploded do you remember where you were?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I was in 2nd grade and I remember the teachers were so excited. They combined both 2nd grade classes. Then rolled the TV in and made sure we were all quiet during lift off. Then I remember I couldn't understand why they were all crying

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4JOjcDFtBE]YouTube - Challenger Disaster Live on CNN[/ame]

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    25 years ago today I was in High School watching along with my classmates as the Challenger Space Shuttle lifted off, and a minute and a half later, exploded.
    I'd been a space fan as long as I can remember. I watched one of the last lunar missions lift off when I was too young to even understand what that was about, but I have it as a vivid memory. When I was 8 I was drawing pictures of rockets. In middle school I remember learning about how the new space shuttles were being tested, flown on the backs of jumbo jets then gliding back to a landing. I remember the first shuttle launch, watching in awe as this immense machine lifted off then a few days later returned safely.
    On that day 25 years ago we went home early and I watched all day as the talking heads updated information as it came in. I remember Reagan's speech to the nation. Many kids have sports figures as heroes. My heroes growing up were always scientists and explorers. Since I've grown up I've had the thrill and honor to make major discoveries and to go places that no person has ever been. I've had the honor to make direct contributions to science and our understanding of the world around us. I've worked hard to become among the best in my field. This was in part because of the inspiration that those folks in Challenger, and all those who came before them, gave me.
    Then one early February day a few years ago, I was sitting in a conference room in a 911 dispatch center in Georgia having our yearly meeting with other SAR folks from around the country, when the regional coordinator from Texas's pager went off. A couple minutes later one of the dispatchers rapped on the glass and pointed to the news screen they had in their part of the center. The shuttle Columbia had disintegrated upon reentry. That page had been his fire department's SAR team being paged out. We sat there stunned watching the news. This time it was a little different for me, a little more personal. While I had no personal connection to those astronauts, in the time since the Challenger I had become in a sense a peer. Those folks were doing work that in a few ways was similar to work I do. Since Challenger, I'd become someone who not only went to the edges of exploration, I'd helped develop protocols and techniques for rescuing people who got in trouble there. I had colleagues die there. Columbia affected me as deeply as Challenger, but for very different reasons.
    To you Seven who sat on top of millions of pounds of explosive material in the most complex machine man had built, knowing that you might never come back, I salute and honor you. Thank you for inspiring me. To you Seven who were coming home from that mission and never made it, I salute and honor you, and I regret We could not do anything to help.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    4 Grade Ms Barrow, Goldsboro, NC
    We were pricking our fingers and looking at blood samples under a microscope when a bunch of other students (in line of course) passed, coming from the library, and they were all crying. The teacher of those students poked her head in the door and said "the space shuttle blew up."

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Watching it live in my elementary grade classroom...and then it was abruptly turned off and everyone started crying. I really didn't know what to make of it until later that night when my father told me what had happened and then tried to explain why it happened.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was in the office of the place I used to work, my brothers wife called and told him about it. About six of us gathered around a little tiny black and white TV and watched the news coverage of it.
    Side note...I feel really old reading this thread.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Driving N. on I75 just north of Tampa between the Zephyrhills and Dade City exit.
    Being from Fla I have seen many launches.
    Saw the large vapor trail and then the trails going all directions.
    Turned to my wife and said "something has gone very wrong".:(

lsitter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was 20 years old serving in South Korea. We were advised of the tragedy the next morning at roll call.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was working my way through college at the local gun shop. We were watching a tv that we had set up the week before when the broadcast was interrupted to announce the shuttle explosion. Sad day for America. :(

Top Bottom