• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SW 2206 (SS w/adjustable rear sights 422 variant, no optic)
    2nd Kel-Tec CP33 (no optic, but red rear & front green fiber optics)

SW 2206 (Row 1 & 2) & Kel-Tec CP33 (Row 3 & 4).
    21' both were 95%
    30' both were 70%
    Kel-Tec got four 5/5 in the 1.75" circles.
    SW 2206 got three 5/5 in the 1.75" circles.
    Range 06.18.2024 @21ft wAguila S compare with Kel Tec CP33.jpg

SW 2206 is a unique pistol in that the bottom of the slide is where the barrel is.
    Early/Mid 1990s
    pic left side at range.jpg

Green & red fiber optics make this gun easy to shoot.
    This is my 2nd one that I'm leaving with no optic.
    Love having both to shoot with and w/o an optic.
    pic at range 3.2024.jpg

Attachments

• Range 06.18.2024 HW 45 compare wAir Venturi V10.jpg
      Range 06.18.2024 HW 45 compare wAir Venturi V10.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SW 41 (1980s)
    Federal AutoMatch 1200 FPS LRN
    0/140 issues using this ammo.
    When using CCI SV 1070 FPS, I have had stovepipes.

30' at 1.75" circles.
    Had to fine tune scope a little.
    Loved getting the 2 cloverleafs!
    Range 6.21.2024 1.75in circles @30ft wFederal ATMTCH 1200 FPS SLN.jpg

.75" blue squares on the back of a used target.
    The last 2 rows I was dialing in the rear sights for the AutoMatch ammo.
    Row 1 & 2 came after rows 3 & 4.
    Range 6.21.2024 .75in blue circles @30ft wFederal ATMTCH 1200 FPS SLN.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I will agree with over the last 10 years with auto match it's either one or the other. We have had better luck with the old boxes also.
    After the last non existence rimfire debacle I started ordering two of the auto match 10 box flats a month as to never have that problem again. I've been spending some time with my Cooper 57 trying to find what it likes at 50 yds. I've run about 50 of each Federal Match HV, Auto Match, CCI standard, Aguila rifle so far.
    Nothing better than an inch.
    I read the other night that some are shooting Aguila Pistol Match in rifles and it's doing very well for them. I have two cases that I bought hoping our 41's would like it. It was not to be.
    I will see this week with a few more rounds.
    I bought a lead sled at an auction, it's been interested using it for testing.
    I can't believe you are shooting pistols at 50 yds. :thumbsup:
    I would not even be able to see my red 1.75" circles at 50 yds.
    I can't even see them at 25 yds. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you ever tried Federal Auto Match in your 41, it's what we shoot out of ours a huge percentage of the practice time.
    I used the Federal Auto Match this week out of my SW 41 (1980s) and had no issue in 140-ish rds.
    I was elated. :alright:
    That is twice that has happened now, but don't remember what the other HV brand was I tried with also no issue.
    Can't remember if I've run HV through my other 41 (2021) but I intend to do so using the Fed Auto Match next time I take it out.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Increase your target size so the dot fits within.
    Don't need to see the center or the X, just touch it off when the dot has equal black all around :)
    Most handgun front sights cover a very large area at 50yds, so do MRDS depending on dot size.
    Maybe go with a 4" target circle at 50yds per your suggestion that should fix seeing the target circle with a handgun front sight or MRDS.
    A 1.75 or 2" circle just isn't big at that range with iron or MRDS imo. Great suggestion.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Most handgun front sights cover a very large area at 50yds, so do MRDS depending on dot size.
    Maybe go with a 4" target circle at 50yds per your suggestion that should fix seeing the target circle with a handgun front sight or MRDS.
    A 1.75 or 2" circle just isn't big at that range with iron or MRDS imo. Great suggestion.
    The blackened rings of a NRA 50 yard small bore rifle target is just under 4" at around 3 3/4". A 4" circle at 50 yards would be fairly difficult for most shooters with open sight handgun. Even with a red dot from a standing position.

I use a NRA bullseye target for 50 yard handgun shooting with an 8" black circle containing the 8 , 9 , 10 and X rings and unlike the bullseye shooters I cheat and use two hands most of the time! Used to be able to get a nice sight picture with open sights but these days my target handguns have red dots.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The blackened rings of a NRA 50 yard small bore rifle target is just under 4" at around 3 3/4". A 4" circle at 50 yards would be fairly difficult for most shooters with open sight handgun. Even with a red dot from a standing position.

I use a NRA bullseye target for 50 yard handgun shooting with an 8" black circle containing the 8 , 9 , 10 and X rings and unlike the bullseye shooters I cheat and use two hands most of the time! Used to be able to get a nice sight picture with open sights but these days my target handguns have red dots.
    Good to know. I know 2" is out even with a MRDS. Tried it already. Definitely out with my iron sights on my 44mag.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a fondness for the Browning Buck Mark.
    It has proven itself over time and become a favorite brand.

Last year I ended up with 4 or 5 Buck Marks, and trimmed it down to 2, but picked up another one this weekend.

Browning Buck Mark Contour URX Pistol 22LR, 5.5", Single Action, Aluminum, Black Ultragrip RX, Manual, Pro-Target , Matte Black, only 1 mag, cardbox with a Browning soft case, extra beautiful grip,
    Online, these models cost $550-$600 with additional taxes, FFL fees and shipping.

I intend to leave this Buck Mark w/o an optic since my other 2 Buck Marks have an optic on them, but I have a red dot to put on later.

I didn't bother to tighten up the groups by resting the barrel on a rest, only my hands.
    Rows 1-3 were at 21' & row 4 at 30'.
    Using a common box ammo today, I put 160 rounds through it.
    CCI Blazer 36 grain, 1235 FPS, SLN.
    5 rds at each 1.75" circle.
    Range 7.08.2024 1st range day 21ft @1.75in cir 100 & 95% CCI Blazer 40 gr 1235 FPS.jpg

Love the ancillary grips that came with it.
    pic of BB Contour URX Contour bought 7.07.2024.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I haven’t been to the range in over two weeks. You guys are killing me having way too much fun out there!
    I guess I gotta catch up! :ugh:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I have a fondness for the Browning Buck Mark.
    It has proven itself over time and become a favorite brand.

Last year I ended up with 4 or 5 Buck Marks, and trimmed it down to 2, but picked up another one this weekend.

Browning Buck Mark Contour URX Pistol 22LR, 5.5", Single Action, Aluminum, Black Ultragrip RX, Manual, Pro-Target , Matte Black, only 1 mag, cardbox with a Browning soft case, extra beautiful grip,
    Online, these models cost $550-$600 with additional taxes, FFL fees and shipping.

I intend to leave this Buck Mark w/o an optic since my other 2 Buck Marks have an optic on them, but I have a red dot to put on later.

I didn't bother to tighten up the groups by resting the barrel on a rest, only my hands.
    Rows 1-3 were at 21' & row 4 at 30'.
    Using a common box ammo today, I put 160 rounds through it.
    CCI Blazer 36 grain, 1235 FPS, SLN.
    5 rds at each 1.75" circle.
    View attachment 364614

Love the ancillary grips that came with it.
    View attachment 364615
    I'm certainly not an accuracy expert and never shoot from a rest but it's my understanding testing for accuracy with a barrel on a rest is a nono. Maybe with a 22 that has a very stiff barrel it doesn't matter possibly someone with more knowledge that I will chime in.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm certainly not an accuracy expert and never shoot from a rest but it's my understanding testing for accuracy with a barrel on a rest is a nono. Maybe with a 22 that has a very stiff barrel it doesn't matter possibly someone with more knowledge that I will chime in.
    I learned there is another level of tighter groups when I not only put my hands on a rest, but also the barrel on a rest.
    I started doing it with my Ruger Charger 10" barrels, then my 10" Buck Mark, then the
    8" Buck Mark.
    I tried it with my 5.5 & 6" & discovered with my old hands, it helped, haha!
    Can't remember if I've tried with any 4" barrels, haha!
    To your point, perhaps, it does change the POI.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven’t been to the range in over two weeks. You guys are killing me having way too much fun out there!
    I guess I got to catch up! :ugh:
    I hadn't been to the range in over 2 weeks!!!
    I can't remember last time that happened, probably a surgery. :fogey:
    Other family medical issues has distracted me lately from hobby time.
    Not even myself or the wife, but my 39 yr old son.
    You know your getting old when your grown kids are having to go to the ER. :dunno:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I hadn't been to the range in over 2 weeks!!!
    I can't remember last time that happened, probably a surgery. :fogey:
    Other family medical issues has distracted me lately from hobby time.
    Not even myself or the wife, but my 39 yr old son.
    You know your getting old when your grown kids are having to go to the ER. :dunno:
    Sorry to hear about your son’s medical issues and hope all turns out ok! I, too, have had multiple low back surgeries over the past few years that have prevented me from going to the range for extended periods of time. It’s terrible.
    This aging process is not for the light hearted.
    Nevertheless, Carpe Diem ! :wavey:

Top Bottom