• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Instead of being a selfish flipper, why don't you do the noble thing and offer some to a kid who's new to the sport at the price you paid? Boyscouts perhaps? Or is that above you? Or are you simply trolling?

If he took all 6 packs and blew them through a tacticool ar22, would he be any less selfish? They'd all be gone forever. At least by flipping, the ammo is still available. Are we so selfish that we wouldn't give up a Texas Roadhouse dinner so our kids can shoot? My kids are worth $20 but not $50.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    If he took all 6 packs and blew them through a tacticool ar22, would he be any less selfish? They'd all be gone forever. At least by flipping, the ammo is still available. Are we so selfish that we wouldn't give up a Texas Roadhouse dinner so our kids can shoot? My kids are worth $20 but not $50.

Capitalism is selfish.

Spread the wealth of 22.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I would like to find some Win M22 sometime soon.

If you had 10K rounds of CCI Subsonics (#0056), I'm sure we could work out a trade. LOL!

Ammo_Stack.jpg

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I found a 50 count box 22 shorts from K-Mart I must have purchased 40 years ago and the price was something like 29 cents. Boy, those were the days!

You must also factor in the wages 40 years ago. I started in the machining trades in 1972 for $3.33 an hour. I presently earn over $30.00. People remember low prices, but they often forget the low wages that accompany them in past history.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You must also factor in the wages 40 years ago. I started in the machining trades in 1972 for $3.33 an hour. I presently earn over $30.00. People remember low prices, but they often forget the low wages that accompany them in past history.

$3.33 in 1972 = $18.82 in 2014. Starting out, that's not bad.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Truth here. To pass on the passion of shooting isn't worth the 30 extra bucks? I was selling a $150 dollar .22 LR youth rifle that I shot when I was a kid for $120 plus a brick of ammo some time ago. A buyer came forward, offered me $100. As I had enough interest at $120, I declined. He said the rifle was for his kid, but he wanted to save some money to buy a six pack on the way home... Our priorities are askew...

I see alot of guys that pitch a fit about .22LR prices, but what little ammo they have, they just blast away in some polymer/Zamak framed weapon that won't last them long. "Cm'here son" they say, letting their child shoot 10 rounds from the Walther P22, before they push the child away so they can keep blasting at 7 yards, their targets looking like a drunk chimpanzee with a submachinegun got to it. Modern US society seems transfixed upon quantity over quality.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Let's assume there are millions of 22LR consumers out there that have a budget for ammunition. For simplicity's sake, let's say that amount is $150.00. If that money is spent on $50.00 a box flipper ammo then 3 boxes of ammo have been consumed for a need/want. If that same amount of money were spent on ammo from the shelf, then approximately 6 boxes of ammo have been consumed.

I don't agree with flipping, but I do believe it results in more ammo on the shelf.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. People get to do that. I may wish that people's happiness were fulfilled in a more responsible and thoughtful way, but short of actual harm, let 'em have at it. If someone wants to blast a whole brick through their "tacticool" AR style 22 on a Sunday afternoon, that's their business.

They have the same right to buy that brick as me, and they have as much right to do what they want with it as me. And if instead of shooting it, or saving it, they want to see if they can find someone willing to pay 3X what they paid for it, all I can say is, good luck with that. I'm not going to pay that much for it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I was 18 and pumping gas for a living back in 1970, it was .34 cents a gallon. I was earning $2.00 an hour doing it.

Just looked at the pumps out front. Gas is $3.65. Using a liitle math a gas station attendant would be making $21.47/hr today.

Lets look at that 29 cent box of ammo that somebody mentioned they bought 40 years ago. Using the same $2/hr then and $21.47/hr now, a box of 22 should cost $3.11 or $31 a brick.

Problem is wages are not keeping up with inflation. Somebody mentioned $3.33/hr starting in the machinist trades. Converted to the price of gas I don't make that kind of money now with a graduate degree and 15+ years experience. :): And I get paid a lot more then I did starting out. Funny thing is I would work for half of what I do now if I found something in a totally different industry, but I can not find anything. So now I do as little as posdible at work so people will stop calling me with more work. That is the American way it seems.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    me and some older fellow with his son grabbed the last 6 boxes of federal saturday night at walmart on the eastside. and their were still 36 sleeves of CCI minimags. was gone the next day but the guy stocking the shelves says its there almost everyday but gone the next.

but hey daily shipments!!! i like my chances lol

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    They are whining simply because they disapprove of what someone else is doing. If you feel that way, don't participate in the flippers antics, and let it end there. I think people who pay $75.00 a brick for .22's are nuts. But if that's what they choose to do with their money, they should be allowed to. If that offends someone who thinks it shouldn't be priced more than one third of that, and they're taking advantage of people.... Too bad. Just like if they, (the flippers), choose to stand around Walmart for 2 hours, waiting for ammo to be stocked. Good for them. Don't whine to me because some other early bird got your worm. I don't care what they charge, because I know what I'll pay. But with that said, I will defend their right to charge whatever they think the market will bear.....And yes, that is defending capitalism in it's purest and most simple form. And pi$$ing and moaning about it, is whining in it's simplest form.

Agree 100%, many that are complaining about the availability of 22 ammo purchase Starbucks coffee at 3 ~ 4 times the retail cost of competitors coffee, dine out at fast foods that charge 4 to 5 times the retail cost of food in the supermarket, yet didn't have the foresight to purchase a year or two supply of 22 cal (or other) ammo. My son and I have collected firearms and ammo for many years, have more 22 ammo than we will use for the next 3 to 5 years, didn't nor will buy any more until it has returned to stocked shelves. As ammo / firearm shortages and price hikes have occurred several times in the past due to politicians and media, many here should have known it can and will happen periodically. We (there are several members here like me) did prepare and have adequate stock to let the issue pass before we start purchasing again.

I think many "new" shooters (and many of the previously unprepared shooters) are now purchasing more 22's than ever before. In my opinion that is keeping the shelves somewhat bare. Will we buy more? Certainly when the price drops to less than $25 / brick. As we have over 30K of loaded ammo in stock (and enough supplies to reload almost all of the centerfire brass) and we shoot over 30 different calibers, we normally can find good buys on some bulk ammo either online or at Gun Shows. We will continue to purchase firearms and ammo if / when we find reasonable prices or good sales on bulk. Those that hate "flippers" ~ must hate all used car sales people, Walmart, and basically all retailers as they purchase items cheaper than you do, then raise the price to make a profit. Obviously many items (like antiques) are priced way above their real value due to the fact there is a lot of demand and low supply!

Read a good article about the 22 shortage in (I believe it was Guns and Ammo) a magazine last month. Seems the manufacture's aren't investing in new equipment for rim-fire ammo as it is one of the lower profit items they make and requires a very large investment. They are running at full capacity 24 -7 but won't expand their line soon. Can't blame them as their other lines are more profitable and are also running at full capacity. Unfortunately, although I think the "flipper" purchases have slowed way down, the "average" firearm enthusiast still will purchase way more than they need for the next year, keeping the stock low and "new" shooters will start to accumulate stock. I can't blame anyone for doing this and many should have been doing it for a few years! Had everyone who was a regular shooter kept a couple years of "normal usage" ammo in stock, the shortage either would have been far less or may not have occurred at all.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    my suggestion for those that hate the 22 flippers is to rent a table at a gun show and sell your 22 cal.ammo at pre Obama prices . that will fix the flippers as they won't sell any at their prices .Then You go out and buy some more and sell it at pre prices again . Repeat untill flippers can't take it any longer and bring down their prices . Maybe they will ***** about the people selling at a low price?

vanguard2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Fairmount
    To be honest, I am much more concerned about the shortage of reloading supplies. The 22lr shortage isn't going away for a while but its not my favorite to shoot anyway.

Top Bottom