• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What .22LR gun would you pick for backpacking?

• Ruger 10/22 takedown w/ backpacker stock 4.2 lbs

• Henry AR7 2.5 lbs

• Marlin 70P (Papoose) 3.25 lbs

• Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite 1.562 lbs

• Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 pistol 3.35 lbs

• Ruger Charger takedown .22 pistol 3.2 lbs

• Henry Mare's leg .22 4.45 lbs

• Ruger Wrangler .22 1.875 lbs

• Taurus TX22 .22 pistol 1.081 lbs

• Kel-Tec P17 0.8 lbs

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    If weight / space counts, wouldn't it be better to just pack an extra few rounds for your primary carry firearm? Might be "overkill" for small game, but I suspect that it wouldn't materially impact the amount of meat you'd get from the game.
    I wonder what would be left of a squirrel if you harvested it with 9x19.
    It actually might work in a pinch.
    Great idea and addition to the conversation.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Depends on where I am going and how long I'll be out. If I am going to be out for more than a few days, AR 7 fits the bill for me. And some basic fishing and trapping gear is right in the same category. But my EDC is a must! These days, I am far more concerned about 2 legged varmints than bagging a squirrel, rabbit, or fish.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Despite owning an AR7….. for the task stated I think the 22/45 is the way to go. Smaller, lighter, less obtrusive when you do have to go around other people / society. Plenty accurate on small game.

Just more practical unless you are going out there purposely hunting, then long gun being the way to go.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I wonder what would be left of a squirrel if you harvested it with 9x19.
    It actually might work in a pinch.
    Great idea and addition to the conversation.

We're talking about a low probability event and survival / emergency. I suspect you'd get enough meat for that, even if not the ideal caliber for that use. I like to do full-day hiking trips (not overnight), and even for that I try to really minimize my backpack weight. I'd rather a "not ideal" firearm that'll work in a pinch than have to carry two.

Runngun01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2022
    Pekin, IN
    The TacSol 22 breakdown is an amazing backpack gun also. I know it’s on the high end of the spectrum but the quality and reliability is amazing!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's not a 22LR but it's close. I've been carrying my Keltec PMR30.

I used it at a rimfire run-n-gun a couple years ago and it ran perfectly for me. I think I had it downloaded to 28 rounds in each mag. I carried two mags and shot targets out to 75 yards iirc. 30 rounds in the mag is just way too tight imo.

A couple of the RO's wanted to take a few shots and it did malfuntion on one of them, but I cleared the 5k course without a problem.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In a survival scenario, I would expect to be in a weakened state. I would opt for a long arm that is collapsable and lightweight, because it is easier to shoot accurately. Maybe something like the Chiappa Little Badger at 2.9 lbs., the Henry AR7 or the Marlin 70PSS. A NEF Partner in .410, with a 18" barrel and shortened stock (mindful of the 27" OAL requirement) can be disassembled. It would be a good game getter, with the variety of cartridges available in .410.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thinking back to my TPS M6 Scout comment I decided to weigh it. Here are the results.20220329_215316.jpg
    This is everything inside it broken in half and put on the scale.
    20220329_215624.jpg
    This is the weight with all the ammo and "survival" stuff taken out of the stock and the flashlight taken off the muzzle end. I left the GI type of sling on it.
    20220329_215657.jpg
    This is the weigh with the ammo back in the stock.

At nearly 6 pounds this is a far cry from anything lightweight for backpacking. If I were intentionally going on a multiday backpacking trip there's no way I'd take this as it is. If I were doing a one or two day hiking with hunting then absolutely.

I always find the weights of things interesting and it's fun part of backpacking that's a little game to play.

Attachments

• 20220329_215351.jpg
      20220329_215351.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 2

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In a survival scenario, I would expect to be in a weakened state. I would opt for a long arm that is collapsable and lightweight, because it is easier to shoot accurately. Maybe something like the Chiappa Little Badger at 2.9 lbs., the Henry AR7 or the Marlin 70PSS. A NEF Partner in .410, with a 18" barrel and shortened stock (mindful of the 27" OAL requirement) can be disassembled. It would be a good game getter, with the variety of cartridges available in .410.
    I've owned each of the guns you mentioned, and I can't say enough bad things about the chiappa little badger. It was a gun that I wanted to love, but ultimately it has a unsafe design flaw. I would love it if Henry or someone reputable would make a comparable design and make a quality version of that rifle, but until that happens I'll send my money towards chiappa again.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    An H&R snake tamer in .410 could be useful. Another couple of inches could be taken off the barrel to reduce weight and still remain legal. The .45 Colt cartridge could be used for very close range work. It breaks down into two pieces with the removal of one screw in the forend.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    An H&R snake tamer in .410 could be useful. Another couple of inches could be taken off the barrel to reduce weight and still remain legal. The .45 Colt cartridge could be used for very close range work. It breaks down into two pieces with the removal of one screw in the forend.
    I had one of those once, it failed for both 410 and 45 in accuracy. And being a rifled barrel with a screw in choke makes it more than a home gunsmith chop job

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've thought about getting the Henry AR7 for a raccoon hunting gun. It looks very light. Is it accurate up to 25-30 yards, say 1" groups? I've had to take some shots at the top of some of these mighty Indiana oaks several times.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd recommend a Marlin Papoose (now called the 795) because it has both sights on the barrel. Mine (Papoose) will hold that kind of accuracy. I have a Marble's Bullseye sight on mine.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had one of those once, it failed for both 410 and 45 in accuracy. And being a rifled barrel with a screw in choke makes it more than a home gunsmith chop job
    I thought that the H&R Snake Tamer was a .410 shotgun (smooth bore) chambered for 3" .410 shotgun shells. I was mentioning that .45 Long Colt can be fired in those. It wouldn't be very accurate in .45 LC out of that smoothbore and I would not use any cartridges, except those loaded to low pressures.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I thought that the H&R Snake Tamer was a .410 shotgun (smooth bore) chambered for 3" .410 shotgun shells. I was mentioning that .45 Long Colt can be fired in those. It wouldn't be very accurate in .45 LC out of that smoothbore and I would not use any cartridges, except those loaded to low pressures.
    You may be right.
    I had one many moons ago, I thought it was rifled with a straight rifling choke tube...like a TC contender.
    But I could be wrong

Top Bottom