• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What .22LR gun would you pick for backpacking?

• Ruger 10/22 takedown w/ backpacker stock 4.2 lbs

• Henry AR7 2.5 lbs

• Marlin 70P (Papoose) 3.25 lbs

• Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite 1.562 lbs

• Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 pistol 3.35 lbs

• Ruger Charger takedown .22 pistol 3.2 lbs

• Henry Mare's leg .22 4.45 lbs

• Ruger Wrangler .22 1.875 lbs

• Taurus TX22 .22 pistol 1.081 lbs

• Kel-Tec P17 0.8 lbs

Results are only viewable after voting.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    When you're saying "rat shot" are you talking about CCI shot shells for a 22lr? How far away from a target are able to still get hits as fast as that shot spreads out? I've never used that on game.

The ones I have are Winchester....the front of the case is crimped like a blank, and the shot is tiny, almost like dust. It won't even penetrate drywall from 3 yards. It's effective on small stuff like chipmunks and squirrels out to about 10 feet. If you're trying to plink stuff out of a tree or something like that, you're going to want actual bullets. But for sitting and ambushing small stuff, it makes for easy hits.

I don't love the idea of eating small rodents, but if things have gone badly enough on a backpacking trip that I'm hunting for food, I'll take what I can get.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well since we're hopping off the 22lr subject....
    I'd carry a 10mm in 1911, G20, S&W, XDM, etc, etc...
    Well, see the avatar?
    I wasn’t the first one to mention other calibers, I just didn’t follow up with anything 22lr.
    It technically is .22 btw, just not 22lr. It’s primary centerfire, as the OP mentions, and 22 all in one!

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If I was really intending to hunt, I'd take my Single-Six. Just carrying with the possibility it might be needed, I'd take my High Standard Sentinel, light and still accurate. Most accurate .22 pistol is my Ruger MkII bull barrel but it is a little heavier.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This question is for backpacking where weight counts.
    The gun would be used in a emergency scenario where small game needs to be taken for survival until help arrives or you make it out of the woods.
    If your gun of choice isn't in the poll, list it below.
    This would be in addition to a primary centerfire pistol.
    Based on your requirements, none of the above. If I was taking one of MY rifles, it would be the Stevens Little Scout 14 1/2 model, a single shot .22 rifle.

Here is some good information on it
    Little Scout 14 1/2 by gigantus

The Stevens No. 14 1/2 Little Scout was made between 1910 and 1933. The No. 14 1/2 Little Scout is also a boy’s rifle. However, it is a more sturdy improvement over its predecessor, the No. 14 Little Scout.

The round tapered barrel is 20″ long (a few were made with 18″ barrels). It has a contoured two piece, walnut stock and fore-end. The receiver is a one piece casting machined to accept the internal parts. The finish on the receiver is case hardening colors with a blued barrel. The action is a rolling or swinging block type operated by a thumb lever similar to the No. 14 Little Scout. Although the parts don’t necessarily interchange, the design is almost identical to the No. 14 Little Scout

It was marked in two lines on the barrel:

J. STEVENS A. & T. COMPANY*​
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A.​
    LITTLE SCOUT​
    22-LONG RIFLE​
    PAT. JULY 2- 07​
    14 1/2​
    * J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY after July 1, 1916

For a more modern rifle, I would go with the Chiappa Little Badger, found here. It weighs in at 2.9lbs, folds in half, and comes with a storage bag made for backpacking.

Small, light, emergency use, rifle. That's my choice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No gun! Other than the EDC.

You will trap a lot more food than you will ever hunt and shoot.

A few dozen yards of bank line and 15-30# PowerPro, a variety of hooks, small pack of power wigglers.

Rat trap (maybe trimmed down and or with lightening holes?) Couple deck screws, for screwing to tree or log?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would think a 17hmr would be a better round to use for hunting then a 22LR... I'd be tempted to go that route, otherwise a pistol(caliber depending likely critters you'll come across). Getting trapping stuff like @bwframe suggest is a good idea.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Or the newest sig p322

I'm waiting to see how this plays out, or end up with a typical Sig newly released recall. Once they get the bugs worked out, for a 20 round 22lr pistol I'll jump on that wagon in a heartbeat. Street price is looking around $400 ish so that's not too bad.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I voted for the 10/22 but want to build a backpacking rifle using a Savage Rascal. This one weighs 2 lbs 9 ozs with iron sights.
    IMG_0124_thumb1.jpg

IMG_0102_thumb1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0178_thumb[1].jpg
      IMG_0178_thumb[1].jpg
      31.5 KB · Views: 4

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My 30+ year old 4" Ruger SP101 in .22lr...dang thing is easy to use, comfortable to carry, and is accurate as heck! I'd be comfortable taking small game, squirrels and rabbits, with it. Have considered putting an XS Sights Tritium front sight on it...but just haven't deemed it 'necessary' for the cost! Taught all three (3) of my kiddos how to shoot with it and my wife likes it for a 'warm-up' gun when we go to the range!

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    My thinking is I'm going into the woods for a hike or camp, not to hunt. Lugging around a rifle wouldn't be it for me. I would want the lightest possible 22 that I was comfortable with, as the chances of needing it are extremely slim. If I was going deep into the woods on an extended trip, my pick would be the 10/22. For a weekend romp in the woods, its the TX22 for me.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    If weight / space counts, wouldn't it be better to just pack an extra few rounds for your primary carry firearm? Might be "overkill" for small game, but I suspect that it wouldn't materially impact the amount of meat you'd get from the game.

Top Bottom