• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I currently have a BCA side charger upper and lower with Timber Creek lightweight furniture and a 16 in Faxon pencil barrel. This rig is SNAPPY and not great groupings, in general, vs a more standard build. My first pass will be to play around with an adjustable buffer weight (easy, inexpensive, not permanent). 1:8 twist is a good range for 69-77 grain decent ammo.

I'm 5'2", in the lower AARP age group, not extremely strong, and don't get to shoot very often. I want a less snappy and improved precision barrel for this rifle for 100-400 yds KD "square" range shooting a few days per year. I'm not competing, per se, but want to do reasonably well amongst more serious shooters on the line. Not willing to put more than $300 into a new barrel for these reasons.

Initial thoughts for a slightly better barrel that increase weight slightly and affordable:
    Faxon 16 in heavy fluted (mid length gas system)
    Faxon 18 in Gunner (rifle length gas system)

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I think there's a reason the run and gun crowd tend use to 18inch barrels. You can use a long/thin barrel with a good brake on the end of it and end up with an accurate rifle. I used to use the JP breaks and they work really well. Though I would caution anyone standing just to your left or your right.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I currently have a BCA side charger upper and lower with Timber Creek lightweight furniture and a 16 in Faxon pencil barrel. This rig is SNAPPY and not great groupings, in general, vs a more standard build. My first pass will be to play around with an adjustable buffer weight (easy, inexpensive, not permanent). 1:8 twist is a good range for 69-77 grain decent ammo.

I'm 5'2", in the lower AARP age group, not extremely strong, and don't get to shoot very often. I want a less snappy and improved precision barrel for this rifle for 100-400 yds KD "square" range shooting a few days per year. I'm not competing, per se, but want to do reasonably well amongst more serious shooters on the line. Not willing to put more than $300 into a new barrel for these reasons.

Initial thoughts for a slightly better barrel that increase weight slightly and affordable:
    Faxon 16 in heavy fluted (mid length gas system)
    Faxon 18 in Gunner (rifle length gas system)
    With a solid budget of $300, I can think of no good reason to avoid a real match grade barrel.

Not mass-produced. A lot of guys here have garages bigger than John's whole shop. Not many garages have won more titles, though.

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    With a solid budget of $300, I can think of no good reason to avoid a real match grade barrel.

Not mass-produced. A lot of guys here have garages bigger than John's whole shop. Not many garages have won more titles, though.
    Which WOA would you recommend?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The standard White Oak branded barrels are made with Wilson blanks.

They fit your usage pattern, budget, and needed precision...generally about 3/4 Minute barrels; they are non-chromed stainless, but you won't be shooting it enough, or hot enough, that you need chrome. NO premium accuracy barrel is chromed.

So, choose the 18" or 20" RIFLE gas barrel (1-7" twist is fine. So are 1-7.5, 1-7.7, and 1-8.0)...

...that fits your weight tolerance, and if you want threads or not.

If it's in stock, you could have it by Thursday or Friday...or just road trip to Carlock yourself.

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Another option in 1.9 lbs 3 Gun WOA MK1.9

"The tapered design will shift weight away from the muzzle and toward the shooter. White Oak custom length gas system provides the best reliability while maintaining the lighter felt recoil characteristics of a rifle-gas 18” barrel."

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    This WOA isn't super heavy, which is a major concern for me (arthritis/FM). It is 1:7 so it might nudge me into heavier ammo, which probably isn't a negative. 69 grain is probably right at the edge of being OK at 400 yds?

White Oak 16" Barrel, 1-7 Twist (Fluted behind gas block)
    69 SMK shoot great in 7 twist barrels. It's actually one of the most BALANCED accuracy bullets made for the .224 caliber. At 400, they will still shoot well, and...

...are the single-handed reason the AR became what it did WHEN it did, for several competition disciplines; that bled back into the military, leading to things like Mk 262, and the Mark 12 to use it.

The 69 Sierra was the first good "heavy" for .224, and it was used magnificently at 600 yards for quite a few years. It led to everything else, and killed the M14.

The 75 Hornady and 77 SMK magazine ammo is, however, a better choice if you can make that decision.

In the wind, any bullet will get beaten up. It's your job to learn to tame that.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I run the Wylde contour in all my ARs where precision is the goal. Right now, I'm having fun with 75gr BTHPs in my 1:8 twist Wylde chamber DMR.

Becki, I know natscott personally. Between him and 55fairlane, they will not steer you wrong.

Top Bottom