• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Let us look at this another way, in this case, WH and senate are same party, the democrats are asking Trump and republicans to give up about 8% of their term. Between now and inauguration there are approximately 15 weeks that Trump is president and they are saying that this should be left to another term. Why should any president give up such a significant part of their term, no matter the party? They are duly elected to fulfill the entire term, not 92% of it...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Let us look at this another way, in this case, WH and senate are same party, the democrats are asking Trump and republicans to give up about 8% of their term. Between now and inauguration there are approximately 15 weeks that Trump is president and they are saying that this should be left to another term. Why should any president give up such a significant part of their term, no matter the party? They are duly elected to fulfill the entire term, not 92% of it...

Yep. It really is as simple as that. Any president in the big chair has the right to execute their duties while in office.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

liam-neeson-helium-movie-lines-watch-what-happens-live-andy-cohen.gif

What else you got?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

That isn't giving up part of his term.

But it is akin to calling for a time out during a fist fight, that you started, when you start to lose.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What more could he possibly need?

Pelosi wants to run another impeachment on a President carrying out his Constitutional duty. You should help advise her on how to proceed.

Like I listen to you for grownup stuff. LOL

I already stated my position.

This is just another analysis/paralysis thread at this point.

Jamil has a lock on that genre. You guys just don't know when to quit.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yep. It really is as simple as that. Any president in the big chair has the right to execute their duties while in office.
    I believe RGB agreed with this at one point despite her supposed death bed wishes. She also said that the Senate has an obligation to do their job. I believe this was all referenced during the time when Obama nominated Garland.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I keep hearing Barbara Lagoa this morning, not very familiar with her. Apparently she says " Judges should say what the law is, not what they want the law to be. That part sounds good.
    She would be a good pick. Hispanic female from Florida. Will check a lot of boxes for the upcoming election. I believe she is not keen on revisiting Roe v Wade as well. May help get some cooperation from some Democrats....maybe, but she is a Christian, so sure that will rile up the Demoncrats.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    She would be a good pick. Hispanic female from Florida. Will check a lot of boxes for the upcoming election. I believe she is not keen on revisiting Roe v Wade as well. May help get some cooperation from some Democrats....maybe, but she is a Christian, so sure that will rile up the Demoncrats.
    Not if she is nominated on any day that ends with a 'y'

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I on this subject can weigh in. It turns out that there is currently law (Judiciary Act of 1869) that sets the the supreme court at 9 members. There were two additional Judiciary Acts passes later, but neither changed this.

Understanding that a law is easier to change than something in the Constitution, how do Democrats think they will pack the SC as they've been threatening to due for years now? Just ignore the law? For that matter, how did FDR think that he could get away with it?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I on this subject can weigh in. It turns out that there is currently law (Judiciary Act of 1869) that sets the the supreme court at 9 members. There were two additional Judiciary Acts passes later, but neither changed this.

Understanding that a law is easier to change than something in the Constitution, how do Democrats think they will pack the SC as they've been threatening to due for years now? Just ignore the law? For that matter, how did FDR think that he could get away with it?

The judiciary acts are just laws passed by congress and can be changed by congress...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Absolutely understood. That's why I mentioned it in my post. It would require control of both branches of congress and the presidency. Also, it would require getting a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. However, I have yet to see any Democrat mention changing a law. Do they recognize that one exists? or care?

The filibuster is itself just an agreement of the senate as to rules of conduct of business. That rule can be changed by a simple majority vote of the senate alone, just as Harry Reid did it change the approval of judges, then McConnell furthered to SCOTUS appointments.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Absolutely understood. That's why I mentioned it in my post. It would require control of both branches of congress and the presidency. Also, it would require getting a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. However, I have yet to see any Democrat mention changing a law. Do they recognize that one exists? or care?

I believe they do, because they generally mention after they win the presidency. They are arrogantly assuming they will win the senate which I do not think they will, and I further believe that the presidential winner will carry the house as well...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The filibuster is itself just an agreement of the senate as to rules of conduct of business. That rule can be changed by a simple majority vote of the senate alone, just as Harry Reid did it change the approval of judges, then McConnell furthered to SCOTUS appointments.

No. That's why I included the link. Filibusters have been effectively removed for approving nominees, but still apply to changing legislation (such as the number of SC members).

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    The smears start: https://t.co/ix2njR38kY?amp=1

UINdqFo.jpg

"Amy Coney Barrett, a leading contender for the Supreme Court seat held by the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, wrote an influential appellate decision last year that made it easier for students accused of sexual assault to challenge universities’ handling of their cases.

Barrett led a three-woman panel of judges that said Purdue University may have discriminated against a male student accused of sexual assault when it suspended him for a year, a punishment that cost him his spot in the Navy ROTC program.

“It is plausible that [university officials] chose to believe Jane because she is a woman and to disbelieve John because he is a man,” Barrett wrote in the case, in which the accuser was identified as Jane Doe and the accused as John Doe."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The smears start: https://t.co/ix2njR38kY?amp=1

UINdqFo.jpg

"Amy Coney Barrett, a leading contender for the Supreme Court seat held by the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, wrote an influential appellate decision last year that made it easier for students accused of sexual assault to challenge universities’ handling of their cases.

Barrett led a three-woman panel of judges that said Purdue University may have discriminated against a male student accused of sexual assault when it suspended him for a year, a punishment that cost him his spot in the Navy ROTC program.

“It is plausible that [university officials] chose to believe Jane because she is a woman and to disbelieve John because he is a man,” Barrett wrote in the case, in which the accuser was identified as Jane Doe and the accused as John Doe."

It took a day...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    With the lefts propensity for eating their own...

I wonder how long it will be before we get the first "hate" article on RBG for allowing Trump this victory?
    "RBG should have stepped down during obama's term etc."
    "RBG gave this to Trump on a silver platter out of her own selfishness."

All of which are true, but still...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom