• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like crime stats will be going up significantly in NYC, though those will take time to come out. Given the lack of support from de Blasio, the police have withdrawn into a defensive crouch. They have taken steps like requiring two units respond to every call and a virtual elimination of enforcement of lesser code/criminal violations (down 90%+ on some categories). I think it won't take long at all to go back to the situation they had around 1970 where good people were under seige.

Thanks, de Blasio: Crime Wave Sweeps NYC Following Execution of Two Cops | Jammie Wearing Fools

But violent crime is going down.....the Gov. and the Media says so.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    But violent crime is going down.....the Gov. and the Media says so.

Oh. I believe the FBI crime statistics. Overall violent crime has been going down for years. But I will be curious to follow what is going on in NYC in particular for some time. I spent a lot of time in NYC during the bad years and I can appreciate the hard-won improvements since then. NYC has been far safer in recent decades than Chicago. It will be sad if NYC ends up getting dragged back down to that same level.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh. I believe the FBI crime statistics. Overall violent crime has been going down for years. But I will be curious to follow what is going on in NYC in particular for some time. I spent a lot of time in NYC during the bad years and I can appreciate the hard-won improvements since then. NYC has been far safer in recent decades than Chicago. It will be sad if NYC ends up getting dragged back down to that same level.

I have issue with those stats. The crimes being done are ramping up in violence or so it seems.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I have issue with those stats. The crimes being done are ramping up in violence or so it seems.
    Maybe it's fewer crimes, but those that are committed are more savagely violent in nature :dunno: That would certainly account for their being fewer violent crimes but a lingering perception that the nation is getting more violent. Just my thought.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At officer's funeral today, cops turn back again on Mayor

B6hUCCfIcAAu1-D.jpg:large

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    At officer's funeral today, cops turn back again on Mayor

B6hUCCfIcAAu1-D.jpg:large

Not the forum to do that type of thing. It's a funeral, don't make it about a showing up the mayor. This should be about remembering the officer that passed. Turn your back on him some other time, because this act will be used by the media to overshadow the real reason for being there.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    That is an absolutely fantastic way to mend some fences with the NYPD. I cannot see how this could possibly backfire

For someone from the Che Guevara school of public policy it makes sense. Show the cops who's boss, and that you don't give a damn how many feathers you ruffle...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Not the forum to do that type of thing. It's a funeral, don't make it about a showing up the mayor. This should be about remembering the officer that passed. Turn your back on him some other time, because this act will be used by the media to overshadow the real reason for being there.

Who isn't clearly reading both messages?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You may or may not be familiar with the police culture out there but their solidarity is unbreakable. Add that with the fact that these officers are NEW YORKERS!!! Not afraid to speak their mind. This is an entirely different culture out there, personally and professionally. I have ZERO doubts that those brothers/sisters in blue all feel the pain of losing one of their own. Their sense of family out there is incredible. Hell, I've been treated like family when I visit out there and they find out I'm LEO. In fact, we sent 2 IMPD officers out there for this funeral and without ANY prompting or asking, they sent a van to pick them up and take them to their hotel. What works for them out there does not mean it would work here, different cultures. But if anyone doubts their sincerity in supporting their fallen then you don't know much. I would bet if it were 2 other fallen NYPD officers' funerals, Ramos and Liu would be right there turning their backs.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Have you ever been to a funeral and heard some of the blatantly political statements made by chiefs, Mayors, and Public Safety Directors? Not the forum for that kind of thing, but it happens.

Top Bottom