• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Glocks are great guns too. Contrary to their faithful following they're not infallible. They're machines.
    I wouldn't trust a new Glock out of the box to carry any more than I would a 1911. They have to be proven before carried.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    All I can say is, Saint John Moses Browning made mistakes that were closer to "perfection" than Gaston Glock has ever dreamt of being.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

QFT
    SA1911OriginalTrigger_zpsddad6100.jpg

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    My first handgun was a 1911, at least sort of. It was a Llama. I was really young, and traded it off.

The wife is a 45 Auto fan and has had a 1911 for a while (Kimber Pro Covert II). I liked shooting it, but just haven't enough to get good with it. Within the last year, I have picked up two 1911's, a Ruger SR1911 commander and more recently a Dan Wesson Razorback (10mm Auto). So contrary to my razzing in a Hi Point thread (sorry CM), I do like the platform, and would like to train into carrying the SR1911 at some point.

I currently carry a Glock, or SP101, but wouldn't feel under gunned carrying a 8+1 1911.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I always get a laugh out of the reliability criticism. I like 1911s and I like Glocks. I've bought 13 1911s in the last 7 years along with 7 Glocks. Of those 20 guns, guess which type has had the most failures? I shoot 1911s twice as much as I do Glocks, yet I've had more Glock failures than I have had 1911 failures. My Glock 19 was so bad out of the box that it could not string 3 rounds together without a failure. It only calmed down after the 50 round mark. My Glock 29 had reset issues and would not drop mags free. I've had more stove pipes with my Glock 20 than I have had with my Delta Elite (score there is 3 to 2 over about 500 rounds). Even a lowly RIA 1911 has had fewer failures than I got with that Glock 19.

Most of the Glocks eventually worked themselves in and ran solid afterwards. Overall though, my 1911s run pretty well. Maybe it's because I maintain them or maybe I'm just lucky. But, sitting here late at night, it's a 1911 that's on my hip and there's another on my nightstand waiting upstairs. I love my Glocks too, but I shoot 1911s a bit better, so they are what gets carried right now.

Why so much hate for 1911s out there? I think it's basically the type of people that buy each of them. I think more 1911 buyers are the type to live and let live. More of the Glock buyers are prone to feel the need to defend their choice for some reason. Maybe it's an age thing too. Some younger Glock buyers might resent the old school notion of a 1911. Who knows why folks tend to hate the 1911 platform. I really do feel bad for them for they are missing one of the great opportunities to own and run a truly great piece of hardware.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always get a laugh out of the reliability criticism. I like 1911s and I like Glocks. I've bought 13 1911s in the last 7 years along with 7 Glocks. Of those 20 guns, guess which type has had the most failures? I shoot 1911s twice as much as I do Glocks, yet I've had more Glock failures than I have had 1911 failures. My Glock 19 was so bad out of the box that it could not string 3 rounds together without a failure. It only calmed down after the 50 round mark. My Glock 29 had reset issues and would not drop mags free. I've had more stove pipes with my Glock 20 than I have had with my Delta Elite (score there is 3 to 2 over about 500 rounds). Even a lowly RIA 1911 has had fewer failures than I got with that Glock 19.

Most of the Glocks eventually worked themselves in and ran solid afterwards. Overall though, my 1911s run pretty well. Maybe it's because I maintain them or maybe I'm just lucky. But, sitting here late at night, it's a 1911 that's on my hip and there's another on my nightstand waiting upstairs. I love my Glocks too, but I shoot 1911s a bit better, so they are what gets carried right now.

Why so much hate for 1911s out there? I think it's basically the type of people that buy each of them. I think more 1911 buyers are the type to live and let live. More of the Glock buyers are prone to feel the need to defend their choice for some reason. Maybe it's an age thing too. Some younger Glock buyers might resent the old school notion of a 1911. Who knows why folks tend to hate the 1911 platform. I really do feel bad for them for they are missing one of the great opportunities to own and run a truly great piece of hardware.

Having seen you shoot on more than 1 occasion I am sure it is the gun and not the operator. The only pistol failure I remember was, yup, a Glock.
    Of the hundreds of rounds fired from those outdated steel guns no failures.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I love me some 1911's I have several and will buy several more. I shoot the 1911 more accurately than any of my Glocks, S&W, Beretta and Ruger's. As far as EDC I'm faster and plenty accurate enough with my Shield and Glock's in combat situations.

During a recent training class I was in the failures were from a 1911 and M&P's. The three Glocks and three XDS pistols were trouble free.

Was it the shooter or the equipment? Not sure but facts are facts.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have 2 1911s currently, but no gun I shoot better and feels more comfortable than a 1911... and thats having 7 glocks and now 2 sigs.... :)

I'm in the same boat. My two big gun passions right now are 1911's and CZ's. I've had a Glock since I started shooting, but I shoot 1911's better than anything else I've picked up. Just inherently more accurate for me than any other platform. I have three currently and I'll have more eventually.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love me some 1911's I have several and will buy several more. I shoot the 1911 more accurately than any of my Glocks, S&W, Beretta and Ruger's. As far as EDC I'm faster and plenty accurate enough with my Shield and Glock's in combat situations.

During a recent training class I was in the failures were from a 1911 and M&P's. The three Glocks and three XDS pistols were trouble free.

Was it the shooter or the equipment? Not sure but facts are facts.

Not sure whhere you were going but think we are on the same page but Facts are facts is EVERY type of gun has or will malfunction at one time or another.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also even if your 1911 is 100% reliable it's still inadequate compared to a modern high capacity gun like a GLOCK as a combat handgun. I like 1911's for range shooting though.

Top Bottom