• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you could hit at 25, you should have been able to hit at 50, the change is not that great there. Make sure you have your rifle solid though, use bags or something of the sorts. Less movement the better, but if you've sighted in a gun before, and I think you said you're a glass not red dot guy then you know this... I just put a strike fire on a rifle I build for my dad last weekend and it would ring a IPSC steel target at 50 before sighting it in, this has been my experience with most vortex stuff right out of the box. But just bore sight or if you irons that you can use to help do so. Even if you did it on another rifle to get it close enough you can then do your final sighting on the rifle you intend to use (I have a friend who did this and it worked well actually after having issues like you).

But your red dot won't be any different than other scopes you are used to when sighting it in... I would go with a zero at 50, or go about an inch and a half high at 50. This is a dead zero at 200 with 556. And you are still going to be center mass or on target just fine at 100. Then your holds for 3, 4, and 5 are very simple too... For me 50 just works, and I really think it is best. I had a bolt action varmint sighted in at 100 and it was sub MOA but then realized that a zero at 100 doesn't do a whole lot of good for other distances in .223. So just a word of advice here but I hope you get it all worked out!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

I hope to get the chance to shoot some on Sunday, so I will work on trying to get a good zero at 25 and then move out.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Where do you have the red dot mounted? Typically I put it on the farthest slot forward on the receiver (never on the rail) without it hanging over. Also, make sure the mount is on tight and hasn't loosened up. That said, I usually mono-pod my rifle off of a 30 round magazine while shooting prone, and do a 25 meter (82 fee) zero. Once zero'd, I take the rifle back 100 meters (328 feet) and reconfirm. The POI (point of impact) will shift slightly, but not much.

I mount my red dots where you do as well. That said, I think that mounting the red dot on some of the newer rail designs (Geissele SMR, BCM KMR, Noveske NSR if "pinned") might not be a problem as far as maintaining zero is concerned. I think I'll try rail mounting a PRO as a test if it doesn't mess with the balance too much...

But I agree that as far forward on the upper is the best place in most situations.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    3" at 25 yds is roughly 4.5" at 50, and 6" at 100

I sighted my AR at 25 to be about an inch low then moved it out to 50. I'm using a TRS 25 with a 3 moa dot. I was able to get a quarter sized group offhand (beginners luck with the optic I'm sure) at 50yds.

However, I have astigmatism, and the dot appears to my eye to be like the number 8 with contacts, and a crisp dot with glasses (no idea why but I get better groups with the figure 8 reticule :) )

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    If you have a helper and can shoot from a bench, just hit the paper while holding the rifle perfectly still, get your buddy to adjust the dot to the hole you just made. Repeat a time or two and you should be GTG.

I have always done this. Works like a charm. takes very few shots to be spot on!!
    I shoot first with the sights, then adjust red dot or scope to the hole. It can be done by yourself as well. Usually two shots and you are only a click or two away.

Top Bottom