• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So we just did our first shoot (for all of us) and my kids did great, and show a lot of interest.

Any tips or pointers for a father getting his kids into shooting sports would be greatly appreciated. Or any good youth shoots / clubs in NWI as far south as Lafayette. Favorite of the oldest was trap, youngest favorite was 22 rifle.

samtoast

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 17, 2021
    Indianapolis
    You may want to check into the Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol club, if you have not done so already.
    They have a variety of very friendly competitions - their calendar will list all events.
    Getting started with falling steel would be great for newbies. Rimfire makes it easier to master, not as loud, not as much of a recoil, and much much cheaper! A steel target makes it obvious when hit, and a reactive target makes it more fun. You can have a variety of handguns as well as rifles.
    Check this site for the announcement of the next falling steel match (it should be on August 7th).

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Newton County 4H does Shooting Sports every spring leading up to the fair. It starts with a Hunter Safety weekend (usually at the Shelby Izaak Walton League) where the kids get to try a variety of guns (22 lr, 12ga, and 20 ga mostly) and bows. Then Sunday afternoons at the fairgrounds range until July. The range is pretty short but there are some pretty small spinners to provide a challenge for more advanced shooters.

It's not year round but it is a good introduction and everything (guns, ammo, equipment, clay pigeons, etc) is provided, though kids are welcome to bring their own guns.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    a good start into handgun/rifle competition would be steel challenge or rimfire challenge. in NWI north porter county in chesterton has steel challenge and outlaw steel matches, wildcat valley in brookston run steel challenge and rimfire falling steel, michigan city rifle club has rimfire challenge, warsaw rifle& pistol has steel challenge, st joe valley in bristol has steel challenge, and plate rack matches.
    rimfire challenge requires both rifle and pistol 2 divisions open (optics & iron sight) steel challenge has 4 rimfire divisions 2 for pistol, 2 for rifle optic and iron. all rimfire divisions start from a low ready, no holsters are required. its best to have (at least) 5 magazines per gun.
    all the matches are on cold ranges, no handling of firearms anywhere on the range except under the RO's supervision.
    i believe issac walton in griffith has trap/skeet matches during the week as well

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    FWIW
    north porter county in chesterton is running steel challenge on saturday july 16th. might be worth checking out. visitors are welcome, eyes and ears are required on the range.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    Hello!

As samtoast mentioned, we have lots of matches at Wildcat (just north of Lafayette). Possibly the best one for your situation is the monthly Rimfire Falling Steel match that I run. I try to promote a very relaxed, family-friendly environment and experience. The attendees have given feedback that they have been having a lot of fun at our matches.

I encourage you to come give us a try! We have our matches on the first Sunday that follows the first Saturday of each month. Next up is indeed August 7th. I will post a thread about a week before - as registration opens.

Hope to see you and your family there some day! Please reach out to me if you have any questions!
    Mick

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    a good start into handgun/rifle competition would be steel challenge or rimfire challenge. in NWI north porter county in chesterton has steel challenge and outlaw steel matches, wildcat valley in brookston run steel challenge and rimfire falling steel, michigan city rifle club has rimfire challenge, warsaw rifle& pistol has steel challenge, st joe valley in bristol has steel challenge, and plate rack matches.
    rimfire challenge requires both rifle and pistol 2 divisions open (optics & iron sight) steel challenge has 4 rimfire divisions 2 for pistol, 2 for rifle optic and iron. all rimfire divisions start from a low ready, no holsters are required. its best to have (at least) 5 magazines per gun.
    all the matches are on cold ranges, no handling of firearms anywhere on the range except under the RO's supervision.
    i believe issac walton in griffith has trap/skeet matches during the week as well
    I agree with everything in this post.

Steel Challenge is great for getting used to the commands and getting into the competition in general.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I agree with everything in this post.

Steel Challenge is great for getting used to the commands and getting into the competition in general.
    ive shot a lot of different matches over the past 30 years. IMO steel challenge is probably the best starting point. it takes the least amount of "gear" to get started. a 22LR pistol or rifle, a secure bag/case/box, 5 magazines and some reliable ammo.
    this is my typical steel challenge match day setup shooting 2 rifles.

Attachments

• DSCF4683.JPG
      DSCF4683.JPG
      552.5 KB · Views: 5
    • 20210502_094313.jpg
      20210502_094313.jpg
      589.2 KB · Views: 5
    Top Bottom