• ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Hello everybody,

New member here, and now that I have your attention, I do CC unlicensed. I carry a 1851 .36 caliber cap and ball w/ 7.5" bbl in a leather shoulder rig and as I said, I CC, so far everywhere. If I am dressed I am armed.

I have been considering OC, and I carry copies from Indiana.gov pertinant regs printed out in my wallet for those who are uninformed as to the State laws regarding this type of device.

The reason I have chosen the charcoal burner is that I do not wish to apply for a LTCH and have my Natural Right turned into a Regulated Privilage, while still maintaining my law abiding status.

Since it is COMPLETELY unregulated in regards to State law, and Federal law also does not consider it a firearm, can you think of any restrictions or problems that I might run into? Places I may NOT carry (Such as private property when asked specificaly not to), etc

Or would you have advice as to how to handle any hypothetical circumstances I may be LIKELY to encounter?

Real nice site you all have here, pleasure to meet you all, and I look forward to the discussion.

I'm down here in Scott Co, btw, and since I am asking for opinions and advice:

Ready .... Aim .... :ar15:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That appears to be a firearm and a handgun as per Indiana's definition. Am I mistaken?

Indiana Code 35-47-1
    IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    I know the Feds don't consider black powder a firearm, but Indiana doesn't seem to care about WHAT causes the explosion.

What am I missing?

Oh, and welcome to INGO! :ingo:

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Not sure if it's legal or not, but we've had a lot of posts about how much trouble people have had even legally carrying. I have two thoughts about your post.

1 - I would not personally carry a blackpowder weapon due to limited ability and ammo. If I'm in a life threatening situation, I'm going to want more than one shot.

2 - If you are stopped and questioned by police and they ask for your LTCH and you inform them that you do not need one, I believe there is a large chance that you will run into some problems. Many times, they are not as up to date on firearms laws and do not know the legality. We've had instances here where they don't even know about the legality around open carry.

That's just my :twocents:.

Last edited:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

EDIT TO ADD:

I have 5 shots, I carry on an unloaded cylinder, and I carry a copy of the pertinant regs printed from Idiana.gov in place of the LTCH for those that do not know. ISP Said no permit was needed when we called and spoke to them.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Hello everybody,

New member here, and now that I have your attention, I do CC unlicensed. I carry a 1851 .36 caliber cap and ball w/ 7.5" bbl in a leather shoulder rig and as I said, I CC, so far everywhere. If I am dressed I am armed.

I have been considering OC, and I carry copies from Indiana.gov pertinant regs printed out in my wallet for those who are uninformed as to the State laws regarding this type of device.

The reason I have chosen the charcoal burner is that I do not wish to apply for a LTCH and have my Natural Right turned into a Regulated Privilage, while still maintaining my law abiding status.

Since it is COMPLETELY unregulated in regards to State law, and Federal law also does not consider it a firearm, can you think of any restrictions or problems that I might run into? Places I may NOT carry (Such as private property when asked specificaly not to), etc

Or would you have advice as to how to handle any hypothetical circumstances I may be LIKELY to encounter?

Real nice site you all have here, pleasure to meet you all, and I look forward to the discussion.

I'm down here in Scott Co, btw, and since I am asking for opinions and advice:

Ready .... Aim .... :ar15:

:welcome:

So whats the round capacity of your charcoal burner? Reload time? :)

I think you will get a lot of flack if you OC and ever get questioned by the police. I understand where you are comming from I don't like the requirement of a license either but I likes my G19.:twocents:

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I don't mean to tread on your rights, and I understand where you're coming from. Have you ever had a run in with a LEO where he determined that you were carrying and what? I would be interested in what such an encounter would entail, so if it's happened, please share. Personally, enough of us have negative encounters with their pink slip of paper that I wouldn't want to be caught without one.

I would recommend speaking with a lawyer on this, and (should that lawyer say it's ok) pay him enough to keep him on retainer. Just in case.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.

EDIT TO ADD:

I have 5 shots, I carry on an unloaded cylinder, and I carry a copy of the pertinant regs printed from Idiana.gov in place of the LTCH for those that do not know. ISP Said no permit was needed when we called and spoke to them.
    Huh. Learn something every day! Thanks!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I believe that it is a revolver.
    I seem to remember that one of the famous names in the west (Bill Hikock?) used a BP revolver and won many gunfights simply because he reloaded it every night, preventing the powder from getting damp.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I am asking for opinions and advice:

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine:

I think limiting your ability to defend yourself, by choosing an inferior weapon by modern standards, as a form of political protest is silly.

Work to change the laws if you feel they are inappropriate or unconstitutional. Don't limit your abilities to defend yourselves and your loved ones because you can't get over the mental hurdle of buying a license.

Welcome to INGO. :ingo:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Until I pop down the money for an 1858 remmy for the switch, sloooooooooow reload time. I make my own paper cartridges for faster reload times, but that is simply so I get more shots during "range time". With an 1858 cylinder can be switched as fast as a modern wheel gun with a speed loader.

I run with 5 cylinders loaded, min 15 grains for target practice, 26 grains for SD.

I have had NO bad experiances in the last year that I have had it, and no LEO has seen me carry, as I said I CC.... so far.

Thanks for the welcome also!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter

EDIT TO ADD:

I'd get one of the newer models with the notch milled between the cylinders so you can carry a full 6 loaded.

Other than that you are good to go.

Treat any neg comments like you would comments from the ignorant. Just stare at them a moment like they have a third eye and then ignore them like you can't even hear it.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Interesting.

RAE0U.jpg

6zhFh.jpg

Not my photos. If I went this route I'd have to pick a 44, and as for reloads...another 44. :D

That said, good LUCK if you ever have to use it, or police notice and ask..I'd fully expect harassment or arrest, because
    Personally, enough of us have negative encounters with their pink slip of paper that I wouldn't want to be caught without one.
    What he said.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    That is a good point that I have put MUCH thought into youngda9.

I am not an officer, agent, or soldier anymore. My sole purpose is SD, not offensive actins, so I do not feel the need to carry my more modern pieces, that were designed for Law Enforcement/Millitary purposes. The 1911 is for home defense only at this time.

I also do not see a circumstance where I would be confronted with more than 2-3 BGs under normal circumstances and feel that the Fire/Smoke/Boom and their buddy dropping would be sufficint to dissuade the remaining ones.

So I do feel competent with it for SD purposes, under the circumstances that I am likely to encounter.

I live in a rural setting, dislike larger towns and try to avoid when I can do to the "city mentality" of folks there.

And yes, as Wild Bill set the example, every so often (Once a week when I can) I unload for practice, clean and reload fresh for reliability. Quart oil containers and soda cans FEAR me out to about 50 yards, lol.

Thanks for the replies and keep em coming!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The Ace Hardware in Scottsburg is one of my favorite gunshops. I doubt you're going to get much police harassment down in Scott Co. It's completely legal to carry it without a license as long and unless you've not been convicted of certain and specific violent crimes, which I'm sure does not apply to you.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Um... on this.

I'm all for you carrying, and especially in a legal way.

But... haven't you only switched one regulation for another?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Until I pop down the money for an 1858 remmy for the switch, sloooooooooow reload time. I make my own paper cartridges for faster reload times, but that is simply so I get more shots during "range time". With an 1858 cylinder can be switched as fast as a modern wheel gun with a speed loader.

I run with 5 cylinders loaded, min 15 grains for target practice, 26 grains for SD.
    Maybe. It takes me more time to change out my 1863 Remington cylinder. The pawl gets stuck and I have to rotate it CW to get it out. Getting the new one in also requires the same rotation. And it does not always line up perfectly to get the center pin back in - takes a little fussing. Remingtons are bigger, heavier (and stronger) than your 1851 Navy. And those spare cylinders (loaded) are heavy also.

Great idea to have the hammer rest on an unloaded chamber. 1851s have no safe hammer slot like the Remingtons do.

An advantage is that you can get bored-through cartridge cylinders for these if you ever get a LTCH.

Just make sure your caps are on good and tight. Research shows that most chainfires start at the cap end of the cylinder, not the muzzle end.

Last edited:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Roundball.

From the reading I have done, it seems that a roundball transmits a far greater amount of energy into the target.

I have never seen such a comparison quantified and have yet to take game to make my own physical comparisons, but would be curious to see a chart comparing terminal energy/wound channels of pure lead roundalls to various alloyed lead/copper jacketed modern SD rounds.

I know ballistically they are inferior, but for SD over a certain distance I would remove myself hastily or take cover depending.

Top Bottom