• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, not trying to argue but I just don't see that happening very often if at all. Law enforcement barely has the resources to do their every day tasks. I seriously doubt much time is going to be allocated to pulling over scooters without plates or to catching them on camera to mail citations later. Eventually, one of us is going to be proven right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Like I said, I may end up finding out first hand. My scooter will never have a plate on it.

Good luck sir! It'll probably work for a little while...:dunno:
    Please report back when you've had some road time.

Agreed. I want to know how that works out for you.

Supposedly, here in FtW they were impounding 150's without plates.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On/after Jan. 1, in Indiana, mopeds will have to be (check all that apply):
    [ ] titled
    [X] plated
    [ ] insured

After Jan. 1st, as word gets, I bet we see a lot of mopeds go up for sale.

The FtW JG reported there were many posted for sale because owners erroneously thought they would have to get full driver's licenses. There will be a fair amount of confusion for quite a while. I read through the full law, it's a little confusing as it sets up two classes of "motor driven cycles" (formerly "mopeds"); I can only conclude that one is under 50cc and one is over.

I'm glad mine is a full motorcycle, titled and insured.

Now here's one for INGO: Why does the new plates include a line item payment for anti-terrorism? (go look it up)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't see how registration does anything to promote safety. It just provides more politicians with tax dollars. I am not for moped registration any more than I am for firearm registration. The same folks who are annoyed by these moped operators complain that these same folks won't work. What is one of the first things that any employer asks? "Do you have reliable transportation?" If the moped operator lost his or her license, I'd much prefer that they use the scooter to get to and from work than a car or truck (which they would be driving illegally). Because some drivers are annoyed at the moped operators, we now have a bigger financial burden for those who can least afford it. All this accomplishes little more than deprive the poor of a means of transport. Of course, that means fewer mopeds on the road. That will make those happy who want to speed on to every traffic light without those annoying scooters to hold them up.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Most of, not all of the people who ride mopeds have proven themselves to be irresponsible. Those are the ones I want taken off the public roadways.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    I don't see how registration does anything to promote safety. It just provides more politicians with tax dollars. I am not for moped registration any more than I am for firearm registration. The same folks who are annoyed by these moped operators complain that these same folks won't work. What is one of the first things that any employer asks? "Do you have reliable transportation?" If the moped operator lost his or her license, I'd much prefer that they use the scooter to get to and from work than a car or truck (which they would be driving illegally). Because some drivers are annoyed at the moped operators, we now have a bigger financial burden for those who can least afford it. All this accomplishes little more than deprive the poor of a means of transport. Of course, that means fewer mopeds on the road. That will make those happy who want to speed on to every traffic light without those annoying scooters to hold them up.

Exactly right.

But I'm not going to be happy until those drunkerds aren't going to be on the street with those damn annoying scooters anymore. They should be plated and insured and require a license to operate. Nevermind the 15 year old that drives one to work everyday after school, the guy that rides one on his paper route, the truly reformed person that just needs to get to and from work since he lost his license to hold an honest job since he quite drinking. No damn them all. As long as I am happy with the law its a good law and to hell with who it hurts because it doesn't hurt me.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Most of, not all of the people who ride mopeds have proven themselves to be irresponsible. Those are the ones I want taken off the public roadways.

You still haven't told me what your plans are for when these irresponsible scooter riders stop riding scooters and move to golf carts and ATVs. Since in Morgan County as of July 1st of last year or maybe even the year before that it was made legal to operate them on public roadways. Its also legal to operate "agricultural equipment" on public roads so how many lawn mowers pulling shopping carts like a trailer do you expect to see when they figure that little tid bit out? How about mobility chairs? I bet some of them are on disability (probably fraudulently mind you) but if they can't ride a scooter I bet they go get taxpayer funded mobility chairs.

Removing scooters from the hands of unlicensed drivers will only lead to more headache in the future as they become more and more creative. Just watch and mark my words.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My favorite part of the new law is that the plates are required as of 1/1 but the BMV couldn't legally start issuing them until 1/2/2015. ISP has said that they will give a 1 month grace period, but local and county agencies have no such requirement. Way to think ahead, state legislature! Stupid politicians.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Drunks can still ride scooters, they just have to register them and get a state ID card.
    Seems that folks are afraid of that identification number required on their back sides?

This is the way laws are supposed to work. The voting public said there was a danger, the new law addresses that.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    This is the way laws are supposed to work. The voting public said there was a danger, the new law addresses that.

No it doesn't. It just provides another hole for those who sit in the big chairs to force the poorest sector of the community to dump money into. It DOES NOTHING to make the drunks more responsible or keep you safer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, you don't have to have a special piece of paper called a title to prove that you own the moped legitimately in order to get it plated, and you don't have to have insurance to get it plated and then drive it on public thoroughfares?
    It's my understanding that most scooters can't be titled due to non-compliance with DOT. No title, typically means no insurance and in most cases, no plates. Here's the difference.

Given the value of a scooter, it seems silly to go through titling. At least now the VIN is tied in the license plate at the BMV. If a stolen scooter is recovered, they know who to contact, same for scooter at robbery scene, impounded, etc.

Unfortunately, low powered scooters and big, impatient cars operate in the same space. The general assy. in their wisdom has determined this is the best solution for everyone - a (un)happy compromise. :shrug:

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    You still haven't told me what your plans are for when these irresponsible scooter riders stop riding scooters and move to golf carts and ATVs.

I don't understand the point you are tying to make, you need a drivers license in Indiana to operate an ORV on the public roadway.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The whiners should really VOTE in someone who will fix this terrible abuse of big govt :rolleyes: for them.
    Actually, I identify the whiners as those who want more restrictive laws in this area. This law will work just as well as gun control does to reduce crime.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Do you have something to back up that statement or is it just your opinion?

I guess you can say it is my opinion, but I would submit that it is also a generally accepted statement to say that most people who are driving mopeds are doing so because they have had their driving privileges taken away from them.

“We find, and I don‘t think it‘s a secret to anybody, that a lot of people operating these vehicles have had their licenses revoked or suspended or have been convicted of driving while intoxicated,” said Capt. Dave Bursten of Indiana State Police.
    The full story can be found at Moped Rules Could Disproportionately Affect DWI Offenders | News - Indiana Public Media

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I guess you can say it is my opinion, but I would submit that it is also a generally accepted statement to say that most people who are driving mopeds are doing so because they have had their driving privileges taken away from them.

The full story can be found at Moped Rules Could Disproportionately Affect DWI Offenders | News - Indiana Public Media
    Actually, I can't make the jump to being irresponsible from being an alcoholic. I've known some alcoholics that were very competent and responsible. Their inability to control their drinking was their downfall. They paid for their alcoholism in one way or the other. Their irresponsible behavior, i.e. driving while intoxicated, eventually cost many of them (justifiably so) greatly. Some of them got help and got control of their problem. I cannot see where these laws will help anyone, and will hurt moped operators.

Top Bottom