• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I just want to remind everyone that you cannot be too careful on the range! Always double check a gun before handling it to make sure it is not loaded. Keep that finger off the trigger until in the firing position. Make sure you are shooting at a safe target and no one is in front of the barrel.

I know we all know this, but sometimes we just need a good reminder.

- Assume That Any Gun, at Any Time, is Loaded.

- Always Point a Gun in a Safe Direction.

- Keep Your Finger off the Trigger.

- Know What You're Shooting at.

- Be Familiar With Your Gun.

- Don't Rely Solely on a Safety Mechanism.

- Pay Attention!

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    My 61 year old father was cleaning his Colt 45 Government last weekend and pulled the trigger before disassembling it.

It had a round in it, BOOM, it left a nice dent in our safe and scared the hell out of me.

He was pretty embarrased as he's cleaned that gun 1000's of times before and usually checks it...maybe his mind is starting to go lol :laugh:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    :postpics:

Sorry, I read about the safe and just had to. Glad everyone is okay.

Meh there isn't much to see. He was shooting reloads with lead bullets, it basically shattered and left a tiny dent. Its not noticeable, not sure my camera would even capture it. Safe is some off brand chinese 2000lb'er.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Thank you for that. Is there something in particular that made you post this?

I had an accidental discharge out of a revolver today that hit my foot. I didn't have my finger completely off the trigger. The hammer wasn't cocked, but I still should have had my finger completely off the trigger. Luckily it was a million dollar wound and missed all bone and was just a clean shot. I'm fine and it'll heal fine.

Like I said, we all need a reminder! Mine was just in a rather rude way!! :noway::dunno:

Other than that mishap, I had a great day shooting! :):

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I just spent last November going over with my grandson about firearm safety. Just as with me when my father did this, my grandson looked at me with the strangest look when I explained to him that it is the unloaded gun that kills.

I explained and the light went on. He remembers that well.

Always, safety,,

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I just spent last November going over with my grandson about firearm safety. Just as with me when my father did this, my grandson looked at me with the strangest look when I explained to him that it is the unloaded gun that kills.

I explained and the light went on. He remembers that well.

Always, safety,,

I have gone over and over and over again with the boys everytime we shoot. Hope it sticks with them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I propose a "new law" that no gun should be allowed to be loaded. This way we can prevent these accidents and make us all safe. See I won't take away your 'gun rights' just add some common sense laws to them. :D

On the serious note. Thank goodness you are OK.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Other than that mishap, I had a great day shooting! :):

Glad you are ok, and I hope your wife did not see you do it (my wife is always nearby when I mess up big time - it makes things better that way).

If I might ask, what caliber?

Heal well!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Glad you are ok, and I hope your wife did not see you do it (my wife is always nearby when I mess up big time - it makes things better that way).

If I might ask, what caliber?

Heal well!

He's 18, so IDK if he's married. If so, you are a stronger man than I :):

I'd also know what caliber, I couldn't imagine shooting my foot and not hitting a bone or 20!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I couldn't imagine shooting my foot and not hitting a bone or 20!

Oh, I could. Few months back I remember thinking, "Now this is a great setup to get the knife stuck in the hand." Five minutes later I am washing blood down the drain and putting on a band-aid.

Close the safety envelope and blood can follow...

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Haha, I am not married, but my shooting buddy was there and my brother. I think my shooting friend was more freaked out that I was. My training just kicked in and I grabbed the first aid kit got the boot and sock off and wrapped it. Then we drove to the ER. I bought a powerball ticket today, but I think I used my luck up missing the bones!!! :D

It was with a .38 special S&W revolver. Luckily we were just shooting FMJ and not the hollowpoints we had and were shooting in the .40. I kept the case and dug the bullet out of the brick on the patio.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Ouch man... glad to hear you are somewhat ok.

Straight and off the trigger.. unless you intend to shoot.

Remember that.. always!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glad you are OK!
    Just to be clear here, did the revolver fire when you were holstering?
    Did the hospital have additional paperwork or reporting for a gunshot wound?

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    No, the revolver fired when I was drawing it to fire.

There was no extra paperwork at the hospital and they weren't actually sure if they had to report it. After we got back, we did receive a call that they had to report it. Since we were shooting in the county it's reported with the Sheriffs office, not the City Police.

Top Bottom