• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    At boy scout camp we made bottle rocket launchers(tin can and a stick)and had battles on the lake while paddling canoes. My dad was the enabler providing hundreds of rockets lol.

Few minor burns but no one ever complained much. It was just a bunch of early teen boys being boys.
    My Dad, RIP, was a total enabler with this stuff. He taught us how to make slingshots and provided the surgical rubber hose and leather. To give you an idea how much of an enabler, he used to carry a Polish Radom 9mm while watering the lawn. If he saw puddling he’d pop it a few times. His explanation: I’m draining the puddle! God how I miss him! :rockwoot:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My Dad, RIP, was a total enabler with this stuff. He taught us how to make slingshots and provided the surgical rubber hose and leather. To give you an idea how much of an enabler, he used to carry a Polish Radom 9mm while watering the lawn. If he saw puddling he’d pop it a few times. His explanation: I’m draining the puddle! God how I miss him! :rockwoot:
    Awesome!
    I wish I could do that in town here. Maybe I would water the lawn better.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Playing Capture the Flag in the summer after dark with almost every single kid in the neighborhood. Given it was the 60s and we were all baby boomers, there were certainly a ****load of us.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Still like to find the merry-go-around at parks, for both me and the grandkids! In elementary school they had a Maypole with chains hanging down that had three handles. It spun at the top and all the kids swung around in a circle. If you took the chain backwards over the previous chain, it would catapult you even higher. Of course launching off of it was better than the swings. Probably the reason I remember it was if you weren't paying attention and had grounded yourself, those things would crack you in the head as they flew around. Like this one:

88be95b006f738c86043f0fcee36562b.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Still like to find the merry-go-around at parks, for both me and the grandkids! In elementary school they had a Maypole with chains hanging down that had three handles. It spun at the top and all the kids swung around in a circle. If you took the chain backwards over the previous chain, it would catapult you even higher. Of course launching off of it was better than the swings. Probably the reason I remember it was if you weren't paying attention and had grounded yourself, those things would crack you in the head as they flew around. Like this one:

View attachment 261061
    I remember one of those from elementary school. They were fun!
    Tetherball. It was a blood sport at my school(East Columbus Christian). If you could hit your opponent with the ball hard enough to knock them down you won fairly easy.
    Dodge ball and kickball were a normal part of PE.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The thing I miss, man that list could get really long. I will start with growing up in the country. In a area that went the sun went down it was really dark. All you heard at night was nature.

I would but my grandma on that list. She was amazing, Baked the best cookies and bread. I have still not had peanut butter cookies or fried chicken that could even come close to hers. She was a loving person. So many fond memories. Hunting mushrooms in the woods with her was a lot of fun. She past in 1975. 86 year old i think.

I miss my late wife. We have a son together, I can see and hear a of of her in him lol. She pasted away in 2010 of ovarian cancer. She was a nurse that loved her job. And most of the people she worked with lol. She saved my life in 2006, she gave me CPR for nearly 7 minutes until the paramedics got there and were about to shock me and restart my heart. I wish I could have done something to return the favor. But not something I could do. But I took care of her and held her hand at the end. We were really close, but knowing the end is coming gives you time to really appreciate each other. I am great full for that part. So many die suddenly and that is harder I think mentally. Or is for me anyway. I am 61 and have lost so many relatives and friend to so many things. The older you get the more people you loose. The list is way to long to go threw, but I miss them all.

The next thing is my health. I have had heart issues for nearly 2 decades. I have so much arthritis In my back and other places. That seems to be a family thing though.

But I am thankful for every day the good lord lets me wake up, even if this grumpy old SOB feels a few aches and pains.

My health struggles have just started another journey, I am not going to go in to that in this thread. I may do a thread on it. I have a lot of questions on this one. This is not a thread for that.

May we all be blessed with enough days to miss a few things. It is all part of life!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What I miss about the past is the times when you could quit a job that you didn't like and count on getting some kind of job, no matter who you were, if you applied yourself. I miss the times when, if you acted 1/2 way responsibly, you could count on other citizens respecting you and your stuff. When you could count on fellow citizens doing the right thing most of the time. I miss the time when any man in the area would step in and say something if an innocent person was getting threatened.

I remember the race riots and violent protests during the Civil rights years. I remember the gas shortage years. I remember double digit unemployment and double digit inflation including 15% mortgages during jimmy carter. I also remember all of those things coming to an end and getting better. I don't see things getting better these days. I miss things not getting better.

I remember the John Birch Society warning about the UN eroding and destroying our sovereignty. They also warned about the dangers of run away government spending, and the dangers of marxism in our schools. They warned that over applying poor relief would make poor relief a way of life for vast numbers of the population. They were 100% right. I miss the days when people thought the Birch Society was just a bunch of crazy old men that were imagining things.

The political world always had plenty of slimy characters. But they used to act right in public and actually do the right things for the good of the US Citizens. They did their whoring, perversions and thievery secretly in the dark shadows, not mockingly and boastfully in front of TV cameras. I miss those days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What I miss about the past is the times when you could quit a job that you didn't like and count on getting some kind of job, no matter who you were, if you applied yourself. I miss the times when, if you acted 1/2 way responsibly, you could count on other citizens respecting you and your stuff. When you could count on fellow citizens doing the right thing most of the time. I miss the time when any man in the area would step in and say something if an innocent person was getting threatened.

I remember the race riots and violent protests during the Civil rights years. I remember the gas shortage years. I remember double digit unemployment and double digit inflation including 15% mortgages during jimmy carter. I also remember all of those things coming to an end and getting better. I don't see things getting better these days. I miss things not getting better.

I remember the John Birch Society warning about the UN eroding and destroying our sovereignty. They also warned about the dangers of run away government spending, and the dangers of marxism in our schools. They warned that over applying poor relief would make poor relief a way of life for vast numbers of the population. They were 100% right. I miss the days when people thought the Birch Society was just a bunch of crazy old men that were imagining things.

The political world always had plenty of slimy characters. But they used to act right in public and actually do the right things for the good of the US Citizens. They did their whoring, perversions and thievery secretly in the dark shadows, not mockingly and boastfully in front of TV cameras. I miss those days.
    "I'm a faithful follower of brother John Birch, and I belong to the Antioch Baptist Church, and I ain't even got a garage! You can call home and ask my wife!" -- Charlie Daniels

;)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Along the journey I have come across countless intersections where I have to evaluate what is true vs that which may be "popular".

Came across yet another today.

I am thankful I was raised by a great father that taught me the importance of knowing how to use a compass....just one of many lessons that still work even though he is no longer present as a physical creation.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    c5480d6fd6f5f8d4269c8061dd3b4e05.jpg

Top Bottom