• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Has anyone taken this class? I'd like some defensive shotgun training but due to the sizable investment in time (3 days) and money ($675) I'd like to hear some feedback from folks who have taken this class (in Lebanon IN) before committing.

Anyone?

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have many instructors, with their beards, baseball hats pulled low, yelling and tactical yelling; we have few true teachers. Louis Awerbuck is a teacher.

No matter the platform you will be well served with an Awerbuck class. Without hesitation, take the class.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Here are two AAR's that were from the class last year in Lebanon.

AAR from Jackson: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s-academy-yfa-tactical-shotgun-stage-1-a.html

AAR from sjstill https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2-aar-awerbuck-stage-1-shotgun-8-16-18-a.html

I went into this one with very, very little experience with the shotgun. It was eye-opening to say the least.

Have you taken a class with Louis before?

Thanks for these, very helpful! You too, Kirk.

No, I never taken a class with him but it sounds like its worth it.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Thanks for these, very helpful! You too, Kirk.

No, I never taken a class with him but it sounds like its worth it.

It is very much worth it. He has an excellent eye for catching and correcting small things that you are doing (wrong).

Expect to learn a lot, and take plenty of notes!

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Has anyone taken this class? I'd like some defensive shotgun training but due to the sizable investment in time (3 days) and money ($675) I'd like to hear some feedback from folks who have taken this class (in Lebanon IN) before committing.

Anyone?
    Can you post a link to this? Sounds like interesting training that I'd like to look into.
    Thanks,

Stay safe

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Louis is #1.

I'm taking as many classes with him this summer as my schedule will allow, including shotgun. Now that I have my 20 ga, I don't have to worry about my delicate physique being punished by a manly 12 ga.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have not been to Louis's shotgun course but have been to most of his other classes, a few of them more than once. I have learned from all the them. At the end of any of his classes that particular weapon will feel like an extension of your body. Good stuff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have heard sooo much good stuff about Mr. Awerbuck. His IN classes are all on the wrong weekend for me, but I shall see what I can do about that.

I've had the same problem lately. Either the wrong weekend, or during the middle of the week. When I was completing multiple classes with him each summer, my schedule was much more forgiving, so it wasn't an issue. I am not a fan of these adult responsibilities that interfere with my life!

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    See post 2 of this thread. Go to my AAR. Links are in there.

Thank you.
    From the descriptions they all look like good courses. But it seems from the pre-req's, I need the handgun1 before the shotgun.
    Does anyone know what range they use in Lebanon?
    As far as the shotgun course, would it be beneficial to have some kind of ammo carrier (like a chest rig or something) to carry ammo for immediate reloading during the drills

Stay safe

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you.
    From the descriptions they all look like good courses. But it seems from the pre-req's, I need the handgun1 before the shotgun.
    As far as the shotgun course, would it be beneficial to have some kind of ammo carrier (like a chest rig or something) to carry ammo for immediate reloading during the drills

Stay safe

The range is the Sheriff's range behind the Boone County jail.

If you have handgun training from another source, you're probably okay in that regard. Contact them and ask if you are not sure.

Ammo carriers are a personal preference. If you plan to use a shotgun for defense, it would behoove you to train at least part of the time the way you'd actually use it. Probably the simplest is a bag with loose shells, but from experience if you try to load from the bag, it's going to be slow because you're trying to orient the shells in your hand each time. It's especially true when you're trying to load while you're moving. A good compromise would be a couple of shell caddies or some shell loops on your belt for actual reloads, then refill them from your bag as needed.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Thank you.
    If you've had a handgun class before, you'll probably be fine. You can always email Louis about it and ask.

Sheriff Ken Campbell hosts it at the Boone County Sheriff's Department range.

I ran a side saddle, as did most other shooters. In addition, I just filled up one of the cargo pockets on my pants full of shells. I didn't have any issues at all. If I remember right, Jackson used a Maxpedition dump pouch to hold an extra box or so of shells. I wouldn't go out and buy a chest rig or whatever, just for this class. Take it with what you have now. After the class you should have an idea of what you want, and more importantly, what will work.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I forgot about side saddles.

Which is funny since my 1100 and Stoeger can both carry 25 rounds when fully loaded. Hah. My 20ga 870 only has a 4 shell side saddle, though.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Then do Handgun Stage 1, even if you have done a similar course before. Awerbuck is very gifted at diagnosing shooting problems. I have no idea how he sees them, because they are so subtle, but he sees them. Most people can learn something even doing some basic stuff with him.

Gunsite also has a shotgun course at the same range. It's also pretty good.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I used a war belt, multiple pouches and carriers (California Comp, dump pouch, cheapie molle pouch) and side saddle. Got a bit confusing at times. Most guys loaded out of pockets. Couple of them just ran a dump pouch.

If I took the class again, I'd probably use the same setup, though.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I took the class last year and learned a helluva lot. Firstly Louis is quite unique in his approach to things. Firstly, he says to get training elsewhere and everywhere. He repeatedly said that just because he teaches it doesn't mean that it is gospel. He breaks things down to simplistic aspects and then builds them up again. He states when something is FACT and when it's his opinion. He differentiates between battle-tested and theory. I ran a side-saddle and pockets full of shells. Just make sure you know what type of ammo Louis told you to load up and then don't get it mixed up. You will enjoy the class and walk away with a much better understanding of what the shotgun can and cannot do. There is a reason he is a legend in his own time.

One other thing...make sure you have electronic ear protection or pull off your non-electronic because his South African accent coupled with his soft-demeanor makes some thing heard to hear. :)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    One other thing...make sure you have electronic ear protection or pull off your non-electronic because his South African accent coupled with his soft-demeanor makes some thing heard to hear. :)

Some gun misidentify his accent as Boer. I believe it's just South African, adjusted by many years of living in the US. It's not thick at all, and I don't think it's ever been a learning barrier for the vast majority of his students, in case anyone is worried. (I find him easier to understand than some folks from Mississippi.) But he is soft-spoken and surprisingly gentle, so I'd recommend electronic muffs.

Take his classes! I'm a little disappointed to see him offering fewer classes this year, possibly because of the lack of enrollment last summer. Let's convince him annual trips to Indiana are worth his while.

Top Bottom