• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Click the report abuse button on the answer. There is an option to report the answer as being illegal. That's what I did. If enough of us report it, we can get it removed.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The idiot that got the approved answer cited this site:

What are the Gun Laws in Indiana?

Note that About.com also says that you do not need a permit to possess a handgun in the state. While this is true as long as you're on your own private property, if you transport the firearm anywhere in the State outside of your private property, you need a permit.

We might want to ding About.com too.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Note that About.com also says that you do not need a permit to possess a handgun in the state. While this is true as long as you're on your own private property, if you transport the firearm anywhere in the State outside of your private property, you need a permit.

Let's not get too carried away and start criticizing correct answers, even if they do need more explanation.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Let's not get too carried away and start criticizing correct answers, even if they do need more explanation.
    Let's not criticize incorrect answers that can lead to legal trouble for someone?

Ok, feel free not to be critical. But that wrong answer can get someone into hot water and I personally have made an effort to get it changed. It's the only responsible thing to do.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Oddly enough, the answer references this page:
    which does actually have the statement quoted in the answer, but under the section about children lawfully possessing a firearm.

The idiot that got the approved answer cited this site:

As I said before, the section the submitted answer quoted was taken out of context. The statement was in regards to a child possessing a handgun:
    It is unlawful for an adult to provide a firearm to a child or for a child to possesses a firearm except while the child is:
    Target shooting at a range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by a qualified firearms instructor or adult while at the range.

And then further down the page the site states:
    No person shall carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about his person without a license being in his possession.

Which does accurately answer the question, but the submitted answer didn't read the About.com site completely (or didn't comprehend it accurately). There is no permit required to possess a handgun... only to transport (ie: carry) it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Quote:
    Note that About.com also says that you do not need a permit to possess a handgun in the state. While this is true as long as you're on...
    Ok, feel free not to be critical. But that wrong answer...
    What did I say? How can it be true AND BE the wrong answer. This is what I wrote:

It's not incorrect. You do not need a permit to possess a handgun. You can possess it at home or business without any permit. It needs elaboration, with an explanation that moving it anywhere needs a carry license, but is not incorrect on it's face. Criticizing techically correct answers muddies the water and is not responsible, it's going off half-cocked.

Where on About.com are you talking about? I found this. That information is correct.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    You need to re-read the OPs question. He asked if you needed a permit to transport a firearm. He didn't ask about having one at home or work and he didn't ask about possession. It helps if you read the question.

The only correct answer is "yes" you need a permit to transport a firearm.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I already contacted yahoo. Of course anyone who takes what they read on the internet without researching it first as the whole truth nothing but the truth so help them God, then God be with them.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You need to re-read the OPs question. He asked if you needed a permit to transport a firearm. He didn't ask about having one at home or work and he didn't ask about possession. It helps if you read the question.

The only correct answer is "yes" you need a permit to transport a firearm.
    And that has nothing to do with your criticism of About.com, which is what I referred to. About.com IS correct. We all agree the Yahoo answer is obviously wrong.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    yes it would be nice if about.com gave more information. But they are correct.
    the yahoo answer is flat out wrong..

here is a Q for you guys..
    given the changes to the hunting rules..
    does one need a permit to carry a handgun while hunting on land they own?
    ( i have an aswer but want to see your responses)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Why do people ask for legal advice on an internet site (Any, not just Yahoo Answers) and expect to get right answer? Ask a lawyer! Someone that DOES law for a living, not just someone who thinks they know the answer. I always ask a lawyer, regardless if I know someone that knows the answer by heart and may be true. Too many people wanting instant gratification in their world and these internet legal questions are just an extension of that! :( (Big FROWNY face for legal beagles) I know of armchair commandoes and chairbourne rangers, but now do we have to go to bionic barristers?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    And that has nothing to do with your criticism of About.com, which is what I referred to. About.com IS correct. We all agree the Yahoo answer is obviously wrong.
    Gotcha, my bad. I was getting my hair cut and typing on my iPhone... :D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Why do people ask for legal advice on an internet site (Any, not just Yahoo Answers) and expect to get right answer? Ask a lawyer! Someone that DOES law for a living, not just someone who thinks they know the answer. I always ask a lawyer, regardless if I know someone that knows the answer by heart and may be true. Too many people wanting instant gratification in their world and these internet legal questions are just an extension of that! :( (Big FROWNY face for legal beagles) I know of armchair commandoes and chairbourne rangers, but now do we have to go to bionic barristers?

unfortunately people do goto the internet for quick information, but reguardless of ones veiw of a law , incorrect information about firearms & firearm laws works against those who wish to promote responsible & free ownership...

just because a person seeks information from a bad forum does not mean it is ok to let them risk commiting a crime..
    the guy asking the question might grow up and help support shooting sports & such..
    OR he could get busted and spend a losy weekend in jail, get a record and never care about gun rights....

Top Bottom