• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Hi all, I recently got a Magpul CTR stock, but it is a mil-spec size so none of my DPMS or Bushmaster commercial buffer tubes will fit it. Would like to purchase one or I have a commercial tube I'd trade if you need one. New or Used, it doesn't matter. A CMT, LMT, Stag, VLTOR, or Colt buffer tube would work as they are all mil-spec sizes. Thanks!

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Bravocompanyusa.com has got them for $36.95 now that I look at it again. In stock as well. Best deal I can find though. Looks like I will be ordering from them... Just seems alot as you used to be able to buy a whole 6 position stock with spring, buffer and all for little more than $50...

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    AFpilot,

I wasn't aware of a difference in buffer tubes between commercial and "mil spec". Are you having a problem with the buffer tube length difference between a collapsible stock and a fixed stock?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    AFpilot,

I wasn't aware of a difference in buffer tubes between commercial and "mil spec". Are you having a problem with the buffer tube length difference between a collapsible stock and a fixed stock?

No, the CTR stock is made in 2 versions, one for commercial and one for mil-spec. The reasoning is that the CTR utilizes a friction lock and the stock must fit the buffer tube correctly. Commercial and mil-spec tubes have different diameters.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    No, the CTR stock is made in 2 versions, one for commercial and one for mil-spec. The reasoning is that the CTR utilizes a friction lock and the stock must fit the buffer tube correctly. Commercial and mil-spec tubes have different diameters.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008

+1 on that, a mil-spec buffer tube is 1.148" while the commercial is at 1.168". Even though it is ever so slight a difference, you cannot swap stocks on them. If you use a comm stock + milspec tube = way loose stock and use a mil-spec stock + comm tube = no-go

--A handful of AR manufacturers make the Mil-spec: Colt, LMT, CMT (Stag, S&W, CMMG), VLTOR
    --Commercial: Everyone Else (Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Olympic, etc.)

Top Bottom