• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A while back I saw a thread asking what I would do, and after lots of people (including myself) said they would help the cop, the OP then went on to explain that the guy in uniform was a police impersonator and the guy in plain clothes was an off duty cop, and berated everyone for saying they would jump in and help.

So no. Not helping either one. He convinced me with that one thread that I don't ever need to lift a finger to help anyone.

Sorry about that, but that's the way it is.

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I would and have helped an officer in a fight like that, although the time I did it was pretty much a greco-roman wrestling match and no batons involved. The officer was quite small and the other guy pretty damn big and I was really concerned the dude might do something stupid (go for the gun).

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    It would be difficult to stand idly by and witness another person being mercilessly beaten. That said, if someone chooses to not to help his fellows that is his choice. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. If you won't help others, no one will be there when you need help. It is a true and generally wise decision not to meddle in other men's affairs and I would think discretion would be the primary key and deciding factor in getting involved.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Twin felons, how nice...and heck yeah.

Q. Why did you shoot them both?

A. I thought it was the same guy coming back for more.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I would absolutely pull my gun to save a life. Now, the question is, would anyone (myself included) actually be able to pull the trigger if the attack did not stop? I don't know the answer to that question, and probably won't unless I'm ever put into that situation, which I hope to avoid.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    If the attack on the Officer continued, the decision has been made for me. I would do my best to turn attacker's attention toward me. If the attacker turned and started towards me, I would shoot, without a doubt. If the attacker was beating the Officer in such a manner as the incident in question, why would I expect any better treatment?
    If the attack on the Officer continued, I would shoot IF I could shoot without fear of hitting the Officer, or a bystander.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Just a story in an email I received.

You see, this member and his wife were doing a little shopping and were walking to their car in the parking lot when they couldn't help but notice a scuffle happening inside a nearby car...

He looked over to see a man and a woman in the middle of a heated struggle, yelling at one another...

Immediately he got his wife to safety and posted himself in a safe position...

With one hand on his weapon and the other on his cell phone he began to assess the threat...

He quickly realized he didn't have enough information...

...but thinking back to his training what he did know, was that he and his wife were not in immediate danger...

So he did not draw his weapon.

Instead, he dialed 911 and became the best witness he could be, while maintaining a safe distance...

It was then that the woman began driving away, violently dragging the man alongside her car...
    The man eventually let go and the woman drove off...
    Bad guy or not, this man was clearly in need of medical attention...

Well, that's when the man got the surprise of his life...

You see, the man arguing with the woman was an off-duty police officer...

...who was trying to stop the woman who had just robbed the store of $1,000...

(Okay, I don't know about you, but at this point in the story I had some serious goosebumps...)

The police arrived on the scene and took the statement...

The police were not only impressed with the details he was able to give as an eyewitness...

...but the presence of mind he demonstrated...

Knowing when to draw your weapon and when NOT to draw your weapon is a big deal...
    .and may have made a decision that would have haunted him for the rest of his
    life..

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would intervene to help the officer also, but not without trepidation. If the officer managed to call for backup, or in this case if his partner rejoins him, I am standing over the scene holding someone at gunpoint and I am relying a lot on the training and professionalism of any other officer to not get shot myself.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the better question would be "Who would not?".

Instead I feel like a 20+ page onslaught of "I would" and "of course" is going rain down on INGO for one week.

Oh yeah, I would. Isn't that the point of carrying?

Top Bottom