• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The Canik/Tristar guns are quality firearms. I dipped my toe in the clone pool. It was okay. I just prefer the original CZs for the availability of custom parts. I have become so used to a fully customized gun that any stock trigger feels like it's a 15# pull. I've become a trigger snob...and I like it. ;)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    How many 1911 builders are there out there building off the Browning design? Aren't they clones as well?
    As long as it's a quality gun I would trust them.

Last edited:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I love clones! Have many of the SAA clones, Uberti, Pietta, ASM, etc. Also own a 2nd Gen Colt SAA. Have 2 Browning Hi-powers and have shot the FEG'S and FM's. Own 2 Beretta 92's and still love the Taurus 92 also. Clones can be the beater guns that you shoot the hell out of to save wear and tear on the originals. And, yes, I carried the FEG Hi-power for years and trusted it totally!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yup,

I carried a Charles Daly Hi-power for a few years and it never let me down and I never worried about it...I also enjoy my FEG and FM clones.

Like others have said...I put it though its "paces"(500 rounds after the first inital cleaning/lubing)...if it fails...I dont carry it.

Just because its cheaper doesnt mean that it is lesser quality...but that CZ trigger is SOOO smooth.

God bless
    -Shred

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't have any problem trusting a clone, as long as it ran as well as I would expect any personal defense firearm to run. But, hypothetically, if I read review after review of cheap parts in a clone (or original) breaking or wearing prematurely, I don't care how well it was running for me, I wouldn't be able to trust it 100%. That's my way of thinking.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    I'd be willing to bet that some of those close are as close if not closer to the original CZ-75 design as my p-07 is and I'd trust my life to that gun in a heartbeat. Some could even argue that an XD is a (heavily) modified Glock clone, and those are great guns. If the gun is reliable and accurate, I don't care how made it or what design they ripped off.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you buy bottom line, even if it does perform to your standards, you always loose in the end. When a quality brand is holding it's value or maybe even going up in price, the bottom of the barrel gun will be headed the other way, becoming nearly worthless.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Fair question. I do not spend my money on third world, low quality copies of any products that are available quality built. For example, I have no problem with a Springfield or Kimber copy of a COLT government model, but I wouldn't accept a llama "version" as a gift. No Red Chinese 1100 shotguns either.

Take a simple old quality product like a Remington 3200 shotgun. I am talking the plain jane, not any embellished custom shop model. They are still in demand, and well worn ones are drawing higher prices than they cost new. Lately, Remington has taken to selling some low quality break open shotguns. I believe they are made in one of the Soviet satillite states. They have a high warranty claim statistic and are not worth much on the used market. Few gunsmiths are willing to work on them. Pretty much a throw away.

I spent my early years fighting to make low quality junk work, and between the frustration, wasted time, and expense, I would end up spending the same money as a good one and when I wanted to upgrade, they were not worth anything. I currently have nothing in my safe that cannot bring more on the open market than what I paid for it except for a cut down Savage 64 that was bought for the grandsons to learn basic skills.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Buds has cz75's for right under 500$ Buy one before they raise the price. lol

No kidding... Here's a CZ 75 Compact for $494. That's a lot of gun for less than $500: CZ-USA 91190 CZ 75 Compact 14+1 9mm 3.8" $494.00 SHIPS FREE

Then again, here's a similar EAA Witness for $345: EAA 999099 Witness Steel Compact 13+1 9mm 3.6" $345.00 SHIPS FREE

I own a CZ 75B Compact and consider it to be one of the best handguns available today. I also own an EAA Witness (mine is 10mm though) and would not have an issue with trusting it to protect my family. Both are great guns. The EAA does have an improved action, but the CZ has far more aftermarket support. Even though the EAA (both Tanfoglio and Sarsilmaz use the same design) is updated and simplified, the CZ action is tried and true. Aftermarket support can really make a CZ shine and I think you can achieve more with a CZ than you can with an EAA in terms of approaching the perfect trigger. But, with a bit of polishing, either can be made quite nice with no aftermarket parts. If you have no intention of swapping parts, the EAA makes a lot of sense. But, if you want better sights, grips or trigger, the CZ is the way to go. There is so much aftermarket support out there, you can buy 10 and have no two feel the same.

Top Bottom