• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have not been happy with Accurate #5 for .357. I am not getting complete powder burn, and its so bad that flakes of unburnt powder accumulate under the extractor star. It is burning dirty, as well. I had a jug left over from reloading .40, where it performs quite well, but after tinkering with various weights and never being happy with the results I threw in the towel and tried new powder.

Accurate #7 fills up a lot more of the case. I loaded up 12 with 10.2 grains of #7 and 158 gr LSWC and verified they are burning completely with standard SPP. 12 is tough to judge, but they seem to be much cleaner, and no unburnt powder in the nooks and crannies. No excessive smoke, no soot. I loaded up about 80 to check consistency with the chrono when I get a chance and make sure they are hitting somewhere near POA with my 3" and 4" GP100s.

The 12 I shot definitely felt like a magnum. The increased volume of powder increased recoil. I'm interested to see what kind of velocity I'm getting.

Further updates as events warrant.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have been using the Hodgdon CFE to develop some new loads lately and been quite pleased. It may become my new, all around pistol powder.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Hodgdon, sorry it was late and I was tired. Thanks for catching that for me. :)

I too have had great results with the powder with the 44 and9mm and 40 S&W.
    When I get to that point in my schedule, will try it with 45 Colt Ruger loads and 45ACP as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hercules Blue Dot was a good powder for .357 in 125 or 158 grain bullets. Had same issue of dirt getting under ejector star with IMR 4227. Blue Dot give you some flexibility on power, powders like 296 110 and Lil Gun are best on top power loads.:)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom