Woman dies after failing to learn how to fight with a handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    she shot the guy and the gun failed/jammed......it may not be a case of poor training but a poor person (financially). A poor person who could only afford a pot metal lorcin or some other crap variant...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Inducky, I want to come train, with YOU .....

I train by grilling and watching the ice melt in a bourbon and coke....When it seems to be melting so fast that when I take my first sip it will taste watery I draw my firearm and shoot at an 8 inch gong between 10 and 25 yards away (between 25 and 50 times.....) Sometimes one handed, sometimes two handed, sometimes weak handed...Is this the right way to train? Probably not but it is how I do it nearly every Saturday between 5 pm and 7 pm.....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The hardest part is the hesitation, people just aren't hardwired to kill each other. Training can make the shooting more reflexive, it's been done with soldiers for centuries.

Right on
    It's equally true that anyone who can only get as far as brandishing a gun in a truly dire emergency without having the nerve to shoot his attacker is far better off without a gun altogether.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, so looking further into this:

Yarborough has a lengthy criminal record including drug charges and accessory to a murder. In all, he's been arrested for various alleged offenses 89 times.

WTF is this guy out of jail to kill her anyway?

In April, a warrant was issued for his arrest in Johnston County on assault charges after he allegedly bit her and held a knife to her throat while threatening to kill her.

I'd be interested to know what happened with those charges. Did she recant and get the charges dropped, or was he able to bond out? Or was he still out on the warrant and never got picked up?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    REALLY? I cannot fathom anyone carrying a gun that they have NEVER fired. Is that an actual thing? Do you guys know people that have done/do that?
    Yes, many! I'd venture to say that a good number of posters on this site, have never had any type of formal training in FIGHTING WITH A WEAPON, much less a typical gun safety course!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It should be, but it isn't. We see plenty of people right here on INGO who go to a static range, bang away at a paper target, and figure they are prepared. Sadly, they are ahead of the curve.

I think some of the issue is the gun magazines only publish the winners. Susie Homemaker successfully used her .22 short to injure an intruder and he surrendered. They don't talk about women like this, or the woman in Indy who forgot to click her safety off and was subsequently raped or the guy who died reaching for his gun or the woman who caught a bullet trying to get to her off body carry, etc. etc. Success stories are great and are good politics, but you learn just as much, or more, from failures.

Lots of people treat the gun like a talisman or like a teddy bear. Another group is very vocal about 'rights' but oddly silent about 'responsibilities.' And people die trying to resist criminals in higher numbers than they need to because of it.
    Tried to rep you but the rep demon said no!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Would you also require training for the exercise of other Rights?

Perhaps before being able to speak freely you should be required to go through .gov sanctioned "training"? Or maybe before being able to assemble or attend/not attend a church. Or perhaps only "approved" journalists should be able to write articles...OK maybe THAT'S not such a bad idea. :):

Also, I seem to have read about trained police, military and firearm instructors shooting themselves and others even though they were "trained". Only through proper desire and motivation do we achieve excellence in anything, including firearms proficiency.
    Not such a bad idea, just saying?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    how many rounds does it take to qualify for IMPD? What shift and what area does he work?

Ha, more than that. We shoot a couple hundred rounds per in-service, usually. Pistol and pistol/shotgun officers go twice a year, minimum. If you're rifle certified, three times a year minimum.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Tasteless way to word the article. The woman died because of some worthless pos. There's no way the article, written the day after, has a clue of what unfolded. Hell, from a linked story, it indicated that she did indeed take a class.

He said Williams did everything she could to protect herself, including changing her vehicle, taking a concealed carry class, getting a restraining order and notifying police when he contacted her.
    Police chief: 'She was able to get one shot off, and the gun jammed' :: WRAL.com

This woman was presented with a potential threat, and took the right steps in learning to defend herself. What a piece of written drivel. Are we to expect that everyone carrying is tactically sound, or even has the ability to be such?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    how many rounds does it take to qualify for IMPD? What shift and what area does he work?
    He is not a LEO. We "qualify" with 30rds (State Academy requirements to become an officer is only 50rds) but we shoot an average of 500-600rds a year, much of it is NOT static line shooting, lots of "tactical" shooting. We also shoot about 300-500rds with our rifles a year.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Why do you hate the constitution?

Don't give me that BS. I don't hate the constitution and you know it. I so tire of comments like this, regurgitating BS. I am ex military, served in Vietnam as a gunship helicopter pilot. Came home with a purple heart and a Distinguished Flying Cross. Don't tell me I hate the Constitution.

I will tell you what I do hate.

I hate going to the range and having people point guns at me.

I hate it when I hear "It's ok it's not loaded".

I hate hearing about guys having negligent discharges while they say they are protecting our military recruiters.

I particularly did not like being shot in the eye by a ricochet BB when I was young.

I certainly let the guy know I was displeased who was shooting a rifle in my direction when I rode by on my bike.

And I am saddened to hear of anyone being killed because they did not know how to defend themselves.

I was raised around firearms and taught safety from a very young age. In recent years I have taken several handgun courses. I practice firing from the draw when at the range, several times a month.

I believe in training. And I support required training for someone to receive their LTCH. For my safety and theirs.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Tasteless way to word the article. The woman died because of some worthless pos. There's no way the article, written the day after, has a clue of what unfolded. Hell, from a linked story, it indicated that she did indeed take a class.

Police chief: 'She was able to get one shot off, and the gun jammed' :: WRAL.com

This woman was presented with a potential threat, and took the right steps in learning to defend herself. What a piece of written drivel. Are we to expect that everyone carrying is tactically sound, or even has the ability to be such?
    Wait, so this entire thread was a waste of bytes? We got all stirred up over nothing?

Just another day on INGO! Carry on.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I wonder if they had NRA courses back in the 1700s? They must have since required training is constitutional.

Great point. The thing is, guns were a way of life then depended on for many uses and people were trained in their use from a very early age. Not so much today. What was a "well regulated" militia? IMO one that was trained and ready, not one controlled by government.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Great point. The thing is, guns were a way of life then depended on for many uses and people were trained in their use from a very early age. Not so much today. What was a "well regulated" militia? IMO one that was trained and ready, not one controlled by government.
    Exactly. If you want required training then let's just make gun safety and marksmanship part of the school curriculum. Problem solved.

Top Bottom