With "No right to resist" how do you handle this scenario?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Here's the way I see it.

Just keep your nose clean. Follow the law, don't get in trouble. Hopefully, by doing that, you'll never have LEO busting thru your door.

If someone IS busting thru your door, shoot and defend yourself and family. Do not hesitate.

IF it turns out to be LEO, they got the wrong address, just be glad you had the intention of protecting your family. And get a good lawyer.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Having been a LEO for thirty years I have to say that the ones I still know think this ruling is as scary as we do.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, hopefully something will happen about this.

This has actually been one of my number one worries...somebody trying to break into the house while shouting "police."

Best case scenario...jeeez, I dunno, thats hard to tell. I'm not sure if it would be better to not open fire and get robbed OR not kill a cop, or if it would be better to turn the hopes dreams and aspirations of a robber OR a LEO into a mushy red paste on my walls...

This is something I hope I never have to deal with; another reason to live out in the country with lots of land and a big house with really solid doors....if they can't get in, you've got time to try to identify a car, or at least collect your wits.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    From today's South Bend Tribune... "2nd Home Invasion in Three Days"--
    Armed gangbangers kick in the door to a home shouting "Police, police" several times with guns drawn.

2nd home invasion in three days - southbendtribune.com

Does the new "no right to resist" law set the stage where the bg's have the upper hand, knowing that a homeowner will not fire instinctively upon illegal entry if the homeowner has to first process, "Are these guys really the police?".

In my opinion this gives thugs the upper hand if they plan ahead a little bit & order some clothing to impersonate police, swat, dea, etc.

My guess... we'll see more of this in the near future until the court ammends/broadens its ruling.

thats ****in scary.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    From today's South Bend Tribune... "2nd Home Invasion in Three Days"--
    Armed gangbangers kick in the door to a home shouting "Police, police" several times with guns drawn.

2nd home invasion in three days - southbendtribune.com
    I'd say that everyone now has a sound reason to believe that such a scenario is not the police; unless (and until) I.D. has been verified and a proper warrant served...

An excellent argument against "no-knock" warrants.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    You have waaay too much trust in the competence of the authorities.:dunno:
    I know most if not all, would stand in the line of fire for ya when they're called on to. They go on late night calls in high risk areas for peanuts. Like semperfi said, I don't worry about them kicking my doors in.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Yeah, this topic has been brought up before. It is a huge gamble, and we have come with a strategy here.

If someone is trying to kick in the door, and it is just myself and my dad at home, we move far back in the room, level our rifles, and call 911. If it is the police, hopefully they wont shoot us, and we wont shoot them. If it is a home invader, we shoot, and 911 is already called.

If my mother and sister are home, we clear them out of the immediate area, and if we have the slightest feeling that it is not police, we shoot through the door. If it is the police, yes they will shoot the two of us, and we will have two witnesses alive to tell the story. If it is invaders, they have had no chance to harm us.

Similar situation with my fiance and myself, except we will have a designated safe area, which we will attempt to get to before hand. If I feel she is in danger, I will shoot.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I don't know how much this has made the rounds on the forums, but I like to reference it and make sure people have seen it at least once: Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Maybe our state will start filling up with little flags because of this ruling. The map should also include fake police raids put on by criminals...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Unless there are reds-n-blues flashing in the driveway (we have multiple cameras), and uniformed officers clearly announcing themselves (they all have audio), I'm assuming they are up to no good.

This thread (and others) has got me thinking. My wife has wanted a fancy house number to hang. I might just get a couple of nice name/address signs, hang them by the two doors (front door, and the "friends and family" door by the garage), and make sure they are well lit. At least then I know they have the right address!

I also like the sign idea someone posted in another thread: "Unlawful entry will be resisted with force". If it REALLY is LE, then they might pause and re-think their strategy, even if serving a no-knock. They might fall back to the good old "You are surrounded! Come out with your hands up!". <----- What ever happened to that, anyway?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess I will have to throw the wife at them. Depending on what they do with her, I will either surrender or come out firing :D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This thread (and others) has got me thinking. My wife has wanted a fancy house number to hang. I might just get a couple of nice name/address signs, hang them by the two doors (front door, and the "friends and family" door by the garage), and make sure they are well lit. At least then I know they have the right address!

The officers may have the right address. Unless there is a typo on the warrant, which has happened. So they have the right wrong address.

For my home, if I'm in my bedroom, they better be screaming police all the way through the house. From two of the doors, there is no way I would hear them in the bedroom. From the other probably not. I have two solid wood interior doors between the one entrance and my bedroom, from the other doors, there is only the one door on my bedroom, but with the layout of the house, there is no way I would hear them if they only announced on entry, heck the one door I might not be able to hear them kicking it down, but I have my mutt for that.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The Indiana Supreme Court...

Has put the law abiding citizenry and the LEO community in an inpossible situation. Any homeowner that has anyone breaking down their door has absolutely no choice other than to protect themselves and their family. No other choice as far as I can see, anyway.

I would have to take action. There is no way to first ascertain if this is a LE action. You can't assume anything other than an intrusion and a life and death situation. The intrusion will be met with deadly force and then it will be sorted out after its's over.

This ruling as as stupid as anythiing I have ever seen. I am immensely concerned for our bravest, the LEOs that protect and serve.. They are the ones who should be most worried over this ruling because they will be dealing with it on an almost daily basis.

The odds of it happening to us law abiding people are quite low, but not for them.

I pray for their safety as well.

Stupidity is so frustrating.

:dunno:

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    No matter what, it's really pretty simple in Indiana courts.

Jury nullification is written into our state Constitution. We have the right to judge the facts of the case as well as the laws being used to prosecute our citizens.

So if I'm on a jury, and I have ANY reason to believe that a citizen blew away 3 cops with good cause, I'm voting "Not Guilty".

Might start teaching our fine LEOs to stop using scumbag informants, double-check facts and get their jobs done right.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    You know what, I or my family do nothing illegal, so there would be no reason for a SWAT team to be doing a no knock warrant on my home. I'll take my chances. Even if i hear "police", I would go for the weapon, I would only drop my weapon if I saw and actually confirmed they were police.

Also, we wouldn't have situations like this if No Knock war-rents were illegal. And I think they should be. Hell, if they feel threatened, have the guy with the shield go knock or announce at the door.

Top Bottom