• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I rebuilt my screened in porch last year. I looked at many screen systems including screen tight but I finally settled on the Screeneze system mainly because of looks, I like the inside mount method. All of the screens systems are damn expensive but it sure beats the hell out of the old school stapling. Also you can cover much bigger openings while getting the screen nice and tight.

I purchased from Decks Direct which has free shipping when you hit a certain dollar amount.
    Also purchase the super screen. It seems very nice but I don't know how well it will hold up to chickens and such. If you end up near brownsburg I'd show you the Screeneze system and give you a chunk the screen to check out.

Here's a couple links

That stuff looks pretty cool but way out of my budget. It would be over a $1000 just for the track. I'm pretty sure I can do my rescreen, painting and goat/sheep panel install for $1000 or less.

I might buy their screen though. Did you look at the Better Vue screen when you were buying your materials?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    That stuff looks pretty cool but way out of my budget. It would be over a $1000 just for the track. I'm pretty sure I can do my rescreen, painting and goat/sheep panel install for $1000 or less.

I might buy their screen though. Did you look at the Better Vue screen when you were buying your materials?
    Yep it's a little salty! I did it because I figure my kids will tear up the screen and this will make it super easy to replace when that happens. Also it let me install the screen super tight without needing my wife help.

I just looked at my order and I was wrong. I used bettervue and not super screen. The view through the screen is 100% better than the old faded out fiberglass screen that it replaced. We were amazed at how much better we could see through the porch.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep it's a little salty! I did it because I figure my kids will tear up the screen and this will make it super easy to replace when that happens. Also it let me install the screen super tight without needing my wife help.

I just looked at my order and I was wrong. I used bettervue and not super screen. The view through the screen is 100% better than the old faded out fiberglass screen that it replaced. We were amazed at how much better we could see through the porch.
    Great to hear. I'll probably go with the better vue then. There are so many screens out there it's tough to decide. I have large pine trees on one side of my porch and in spring the green (pollen?) dust coats the inside of the porch. They make a screen that supposedly keeps that out but I would imagine it would restrict airflow and make it hotter in there.

I like the idea of being able to get it super tight. Something I won't be able to do with a staple gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I rebuilt my screened in porch last year. I looked at many screen systems including screen tight but I finally settled on the Screeneze system mainly because of looks, I like the inside mount method. All of the screens systems are damn expensive but it sure beats the hell out of the old school stapling. Also you can cover much bigger openings while getting the screen nice and tight.

I purchased from Decks Direct which has free shipping when you hit a certain dollar amount.
    Also purchase the super screen. It seems very nice but I don't know how well it will hold up to chickens and such. If you end up near brownsburg I'd show you the Screeneze system and give you a chunk the screen to check out.

Here's a couple links

I have gone back and am looking at this. Part of my issue is my porch is 10" off the ground which means I'll need scaffold up to be able to reach the top which is 18' off the ground. The thought of pushing all that spline in while standing that high off the ground on my neighbors consumer grade scaffolding is not comforting.

I'm going to call them tomorrow for some assistance on how I should frame out my openings with the Screeneze. Do I go from top to bottom or do I do the top part separate from the bottom part that is below the handrail?

It is expensive, but hopefully it will last as long as I live here.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I believe you should be able to mount the screeneze on the inside of the porch so you don't have to scaffold up.

There is also the screen tight mini track system that would probably work well for doing elevated porches. I almost bought it but I don't like splining and also read some reviews saying the installation was a pain.

I'm not sure what you mean by top to bottom. Screeneze does have a youtube channel with some install vids. https://www.youtube.com/user/SCREENEZE/videos

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I believe you should be able to mount the screeneze on the inside of the porch so you don't have to scaffold up.

There is also the screen tight mini track system that would probably work well for doing elevated porches. I almost bought it but I don't like splining and also read some reviews saying the installation was a pain.

I'm not sure what you mean by top to bottom. Screeneze does have a youtube channel with some install vids. https://www.youtube.com/user/SCREENEZE/videos
    Yeah, it's hard for me to explain. The porch has sections. Each section is approx 37" wide and 80" tall. This is the overall opening. 36" up from the floor is a 2x4 horizontal "rail" so in a way each section has a lower part and an upper part.

What I am thinking is I would frame out the lower portion with the rail/cap and screen it and frame out the upper portion and screen it. If this is correct, I would have to measure each opening to determine the amount of rail/cap I will need.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Figured I'd post an update. Got everything almost wrapped up today. All of the screens are in except for the door and I still have some engineering to do to get it to seal up but I don't think it's gonna be too tough. It was 3 times the work I expected it to be but after being basically a potato since last June I'm not in the best of shape either. The wife is very pleased with it which means I'm pleased with it but I'm not sure if I'm off the hook for the last guitar I bought. :):

ozBaugVh.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have my screen system in the garage waiting. I have a lot of prep work ahead of that process. I have to remove and reinstall the "handrail", drill holes and machine a grove underneath the handrail for rope LED lighting I'll be running, wire up an outlet and overhead light, sand, sand, sand, prime and paint all the wood and do some soffit work. Oh, and sand and paint the floor.

Then I'll be ready for the screen! :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yikes! That'd take me the better part of a year at my current pace. Fortunately my wife is a fan of primitive and old things so I don't have to worry about having everything perfect. If I did I don't think our marriage would have lasted. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do something I know I can do at least 50% as well myself.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yikes! That'd take me the better part of a year at my current pace. Fortunately my wife is a fan of primitive and old things so I don't have to worry about having everything perfect. If I did I don't think our marriage would have lasted. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do something I know I can do at least 50% as well myself.
    I'm planning on having it done sometime this summer. I'm supposed to be putting in a paver patio also, but we'll see. Weather is a factor on that project so my plan is to do both; patio when it's dry, porch when it's raining.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Figured I'd post an update. Got everything almost wrapped up today. All of the screens are in except for the door and I still have some engineering to do to get it to seal up but I don't think it's gonna be too tough. It was 3 times the work I expected it to be but after being basically a potato since last June I'm not in the best of shape either. The wife is very pleased with it which means I'm pleased with it but I'm not sure if I'm off the hook for the last guitar I bought. :):
    Nicely done!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Update. I am finally done prepping everything for the Screeneze install. I could use any tips you have from those of you who did your own install. I cut a few pieces of the base yesterday and after having my chop saw "grab" two of the pieces and bend then into unusable condition, I decided that I might need to try a different blade.

How did you guys cut your bases?

Also, I ordered the BetterVue screening but I am wondering if the SuperScreen or Tuffscreen(whatever its called) would be a wiser choice. There will be times when a little dog will press her nose against the screen and grandkids will probably touch, poke, play with it. Not too mention the longevity.

Should I return the BetterVue in favor of something more robust? The SuperScreen is 2X the thickness of the BetterVue.

I'm not an average DIY'r but this is going to take me a long time! I have over 100 pieces of base to cut to frame out all my openings. And they are not all square openings. On two ends the openings are at the same pitch as the roof so I'll be cutting miters that are not 45's for each piece.:ugh:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In my limited experience, it has less to do with what kind of blade, and more with speed. At least with thin aluminum or pvc.
    You want the blade turning at full speed, and cut it veeeeeeeeery slowly.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Update. I am finally done prepping everything for the Screeneze install. I could use any tips you have from those of you who did your own install. I cut a few pieces of the base yesterday and after having my chop saw "grab" two of the pieces and bend then into unusable condition, I decided that I might need to try a different blade.

How did you guys cut your bases?

Also, I ordered the BetterVue screening but I am wondering if the SuperScreen or Tuffscreen(whatever its called) would be a wiser choice. There will be times when a little dog will press her nose against the screen and grandkids will probably touch, poke, play with it. Not too mention the longevity.

Should I return the BetterVue in favor of something more robust? The SuperScreen is 2X the thickness of the BetterVue.

I'm not an average DIY'r but this is going to take me a long time! I have over 100 pieces of base to cut to frame out all my openings. And they are not all square openings. On two ends the openings are at the same pitch as the roof so I'll be cutting miters that are not 45's for each piece.:ugh:
    Try putting a backer behind it when you cut if you have some scrap boards it should help

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I would recommend a high tooth count negative hook angle blade, perhaps even one of the metal cutting blades that are now available. A standard general purpose blade can grab thin material too easy, even when going slow. With 100 pieces, meaning 200+ cuts, investing in a proper blade up front will certainly help.
    Forrest Chopmaster is an excellent choice, although expensive.
    Freud also makes a good blade (lu91 series) for less than 1/2 the price, but in my experience doesn't last as long as the Forrest, although I would expect it to last the duration of your project.
    --Rick

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yep, fewer teeth on the blade are NOT what you want for cutting aluminum or pvc. A plywood blade will do it, but it’s better to buy a blade designed to cut metal. I’ve seen a few saws destroyed by using a blade with big carbide tip teeth, and the saw isn’t the only thing at risk. Also, use a wax stick to lube the blade before each cut, you’ll get amazing quality cuts every time. And as said above, full rpms and go through the material slowly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So far the blade is working. I move it so slow its almost imperceptible. I could hacksaw it faster but it wouldn't be as smooth or accurate. Plus I would get a lot more tired. :)

Question for those of you that hired this work out. Can you give me an idea of what it cost? I would not wish this work on anyone. Unless the screens turn out so wonderful I can't stand it, I won't do this system again. I did that math; I have 20 openings which take 1 hour each just to get the framing installed. I will have made over 200 cuts, drilled about 1000 holes and installed about 1000 screws.

If I'm saving $500 doing it myself I'm a worse dummy than I thought!

Top Bottom