• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I have ran about 85 rounds through my new S&W 629 Classic 5" with Freedom Munitions 240g RNFP. Recoil is no big deal and even my wife shot these rounds without issue.

i picked up some WWB 240g JSP the other day and decided to try these out. I ran 24 rounds through...the recoil was BRUTAL. My thumb was bleeding where the backstrap meets the wood grips.

I was really surprised how different these two rounds operate. Especially considering that they are very close on paper: WWB 1180fps/741ft-lbs, Freedom 1300fps/900ft-lbs.

How is it possible they are so different? The Freedom is tame, really no big deal at all. Those Winchester's are something else....cool though!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Time to get some Hogue rubber grips for the 629. I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44mag with a 2.5in barrel. It comes from the factory with Hogue rubber grips. Makes a huge difference in taming the recoil. I shot PPU 240gr SJHP factory loads, WWB 240gr JSP, and some of my own reloads through it. Cant really tell the difference.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I can't do the rubber grips...those wood grips with S&W medallions are too nice. And anyway, I ain't got time to bleed :) I will just get used to it.

Really though, it's a ballistics question. How does the recoil vary so much when they are so closely rated? I really want to get an understanding of the math and how it affects performance for when I begin to reload these....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Felt recoil is a personal thing. Lots of factors. Grip. Temp. Muzzle flash. State of mind when shooting even ear pro.

And the bullets are also different types. Lead Round nose, and smaller outside diameter with the freedom and larger jacketed bullets in the WWB. Add in the effect of forcing cones and powder burn rates and if the ballistics were measured over same barrel lengths on the boxes. If you have a set of calipers check the bullet OD and I bet the freedom is smaller and has an easier time in the forcing cone thus the recoil difference.

WWB ammo is very consistent in my marlin rifles and even my best hand loads have larger spreads of speed than factory WWB. (Working on this) I call WWB the CCI MIni mags of the 44 mag in a rifle. If they don't feed and get good groups with WWB it is not
    the ammo. My hand loads with SWC 240's group better in my revolver.

I will let you guess how many model 29 pistols I have or family members have bought over the years with 6 bullets missing from a box of WWB ammo. They did not like the recoil of the rounds and I almost bet 6 rounds were shot out of it and put back in safe. Wanting for me to come along and buy it.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I have noticed the same thing in my 629-2, 6"bbl. The WWB rounds always seem to have more recoil than other rounds. My son loves it. I tried pachmyr and hogue and had to stay with the hogue grips.
    I actually have hogue grips on my AR's, AK and all of my S&W J-frames.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    The Freedom's are copper plated.

I have shot Hornady Factory XTP 240g Hollow Points out of it as well that are rated higher than the Freedom Munitions and WWB and the recoil on those wasn't anything compared to the WWB. Hornady's are rated 1350fps/971 ft-lbs.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Felt recoil is a personal thing. Lots of factors. Grip. Temp. Muzzle flash. State of mind when shooting even ear pro.

And the bullets are also different types. Lead Round nose, and smaller outside diameter with the freedom and larger jacketed bullets in the WWB. Add in the effect of forcing cones and powder burn rates and if the ballistics were measured over same barrel lengths on the boxes. If you have a set of calipers check the bullet OD and I bet the freedom is smaller and has an easier time in the forcing cone thus the recoil difference.

Good point here. I will measure the bullet OD on all of them and report back.....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have ran about 85 rounds through my new S&W 629 Classic 5" with Freedom Munitions 240g RNFP. Recoil is no big deal and even my wife shot these rounds without issue.

i picked up some WWB 240g JSP the other day and decided to try these out. I ran 24 rounds through...the recoil was BRUTAL. My thumb was bleeding where the backstrap meets the wood grips.

I was really surprised how different these two rounds operate. Especially considering that they are very close on paper: WWB 1180fps/741ft-lbs, Freedom 1300fps/900ft-lbs.

How is it possible they are so different? The Freedom is tame, really no big deal at all. Those Winchester's are something else....cool though!
    If you didn't chronograph the velocities yourself, you probably have no idea what the muzzle velocity is out of your revolver. Recoil impulse can be different depending on the type of powder used. You have two choices regarding the excessive recoil. You can start reloading or just rub some dirt in it and forge ahead! ;)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The biggest issue (years ago) I had with wooden grips (stock or otherwise) was cracking. After several hundred rounds through the Mdl. 29, the grips would crack somewhere along the routed 90 degree angle cut.

Went to rubber grips years ago (I prefer the covered backstrap), haven't had an issue since, and recoil was noticeably reduced.

Top Bottom