• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I am a bit new to reloading and wanted to ask a few questions about Winchester Super Field (WSF) powder if anyone has experience with it. I have used W231 so far and it is clean and measures very accurately in a dillon 550 and makes some decent loads. But I am wanting to push my 9mm rounds a little faster and I worry about pressures as I go above 1150 fps with W231.

Is it true that WSF is a slower burning powder and I can therefore get more velocity with less pressure? I will also be using this with 380 and 45 since I want to use the same powder for all my reloading...negatives in those calibers?

Lastly, I can see prices for WSF online but is the price per pound of WSF comparable to W231 at local stores in the Indy area? Does anyone know if there's a store in the Indy area that carries WSF?

Thanks for any feedback!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, WSF (Winchester Super Field) is a shotgun powder that is slower than 231. It is about like the now discontinued Hodgdon HS-6. I didn't know they still made WSF. I use TiteGroup in my 9mm loads these days. I have used Hodgdons Universal Clays and Accurate number 5 with good results, and they are slower than 231 also. Good Luck

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    HS-6 was the other powder I was thinking about trying. Didn't know that it's discontinued though. I got the idea for the switch while reading various load data manuals and saw how WSF and HS-6 have higher velocities with less pressure at similar powder levels. I also see that Power Pistol can move a proj faster with less pressure but seems I can't get nearly as many rounds per pound with that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard that Power Pistol (from Alliant?) was a good modern powder for higher performance loads, but I have never used it on 9mm myself. Good Luck

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I use a lot of WSF but in 40 and 38 super. It is a good powder for those. It should be a good one in 9mm. I have limited experience with that but I have a lot of old data books that show WSF. It is similar to WAP that I used before it was discontinued. There is a new powder from Winchester. Autocomp that is evidently a replacement for WAP. 231 is good for reduced loads. Accurate #7 is a good one for high performance loads.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Are you able to buy the WSF locally or do you get it online? I'm looking for a store that carries it in or within 40 miles of Indy.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I first bought some at the 1500. I think Gander had some at one time. I buy it in 4 or 8 pound kegs. Checking my last kegs. They were from a store in Paducah Kentucky. Not much help there. Another shop is Down by the tracks in Galveston. They have a good supply of powder.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    HS-6 was the other powder I was thinking about trying. Didn't know that it's discontinued though. I got the idea for the switch while reading various load data manuals and saw how WSF and HS-6 have higher velocities with less pressure at similar powder levels. I also see that Power Pistol can move a proj faster with less pressure but seems I can't get nearly as many rounds per pound with that.

I am using Power Pistol in a variety of cartridges, but mostly 9mm, under 124gr projectiles. It's certainly true that you won't get as many loads per pound of powder, but the difference would be measured in the pennies-per-load range. It meters well, gives higher load densities, faster muzzle velocity at the same pressure, and has proven to be plenty accurate. In fact, out of my son's 9mm Hi-Point carbine, he had 3 out of 5 shots touching at 50 yards...with a peep sight! The whole group was just over an inch.

I'm using 5.4 grains of PP under the Hornady bulk 124gr RN FMJ bullet. This works well out of several pistols and the aforementioned carbine. I like it so much in 9mm, 44/40, 44RM and 357 that I bought 4lbs of it, even though I don't really shoot pistol a whole lot. It is also working well in my wife's new 380. It's definitely my new favorite pistol powder, even if it's not the most economical.

Please consult a reloading manual before loading with a new powder.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I thought I would post that I was able to find Winchester WSF powder today at Atterbury Shooting Complex...in case anyone else was wondering where to find it. It was $18.50/lbs. I also saw Power Pistol there and it was only $16.50/lbs so I might have to try that next if WSF gives me any problems. I was actually very impressed with the huge selection of powders they have.

Top Bottom