• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm pretty new to the scope world, just go my first one a few months ago. So I'm very inexperienced with them and need feedback.

I plan on getting both my boys a 22 rifle for christmas. One is getting a marlin 795, other not sure yet not found a good deal. But that will free up my speedmaster to set up for me.

I am wanting a rifle that I can reach out to 100+ yards and hit a 3"-4" target. But it would be nice to be able to plink with the boys at shorter ranges. I saw this scope and this is something like I am looking for I think
    BSA Sweet 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Side Focus Duplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

My questions are

Can this rifle hold a 2" group at 100? How about 200? If not what size group is normal?

I know I'm going to have to scope the rifle with a pretty good size scope to hit those targets. Any suggestions of good ones that won't break the bank?

If this rifle won't do what I'm looking for what is a good choice on my next one?

While on the topic here. If I sight in the rifle at 100yd I can then just aim lower to shoot targets at 50yd right? Same for going longer just aim higher? Or can you get scopes that have preset "zero" for diff ranges you just click to the one you want?

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    10/22...NUFF SAID

Going to get bashed for this I think but here goes.......I like the 10/22 but from what I hear they are not as accurate as a marlin. And the farther you go the less accurate they get. Now I don't know this first hand just reading forums, reviews, and talking with guys at the range.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Going to get bashed for this I think but here goes.......I like the 10/22 but from what I hear they are not as accurate as a marlin. And the farther you go the less accurate they get. Now I don't know this first hand just reading forums, reviews, and talking with guys at the range.
    I have a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 and they are both accurate, I've had the 10/22 longer (and had more of them) so I know how good they are at long distance, but I will bow to your experience with the Marlins! To add to that...10/22...Marlin....nuff said!

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 and they are both accurate, I've had the 10/22 longer (and had more of them) so I know how good they are at long distance, but I will bow to your experience with the Marlins! To add to that...10/22...Marlin....nuff said!

I have not even shot a 10/22 they have tons of after market stuff so that is a huge plus. I have not discounted them at all.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The 552 will do the job fine with the scope listed in the OP. 2 inch groups are very possible with that rifle when using ammo it likes. Try as many brands as you can and then stock up on what it likes best.

I like the 10/22 but from what I hear they are not as accurate as a marlin. And the farther you go the less accurate they get.

Never could understand how they could get less accurate as distances increase...do the bullets go straight for 50 yards then turn left?

If a rifle is capable of 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards the it is capable of 1 inch groups at 100 yards, 2 inch at 200, etc. It is the rifleman's job to be able to shoot well enough to make those longer shots.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    3x9x40 is my standard scope, I buy alot of these. Tasco to Leupold. It's what I have on almost all of my .22's. I switch over to .22 mag out to 200 yards. I like the fast focus eyepiece on the Bushnells, it really helps.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ditch the BSA

Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes. All that "Sweet" anything is marketing BS. BTW, I got that directly from a BSA dealer. The gun is gonna' be more capable than the scope.

Top Bottom