• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Tried to go to Wilbur Wright to shoot after work today only to find the gates locked up and a sign saying the range closes at 5.:xmad: I normally shoot on my property but I was going with a couple of friends who live closer to New Castle and they didn't want to make the trip to my place. It's sad that we have daylight savings time so it doesn't get dark until 10 o'clock yet state properties are only available during bankers hours. Thanks Big Brother :(

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I believe they are closed Monday's and Tuesday's anyways. So even if you did get there before 5 yesterday you would have still been dissapointed

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Actually they close WW around 4:45pm on the days they're open.. The guy has to have time to clear the ranges, kick everyone out, and lock the gates by 5.. lmao

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a hard time complaining about the Wilber Wright range since it is FREE! For it to be open later, the DNR would have to pay someone to stay later instead of paying one person. For them to find the funds to stay open later, and or add Monday and Tuesday shooting would require money that the state doesn't have.

I personally appreciate the fact that it is free and my tax money and license fees are used for something I can actually enjoy without added costs.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    WHY? Why does it "need" a rangemaster after 5:00? Does it really need a full time rangemaster at all? Why couldn't they just leave the gates open, and let the range master come in a few hours a week to police up? Maybe post a few hours on the weekend if someone feels they need him there?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    WHY? Why does it "need" a rangemaster after 5:00? Does it really need a full time rangemaster at all? Why couldn't they just leave the gates open, and let the range master come in a few hours a week to police up? Maybe post a few hours on the weekend if someone feels they need him there?

have you been there lately? All of the nearby village idiots go there, they NEED a full-time range officer!

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have a hard time complaining about the Wilber Wright range since it is FREE! For it to be open later, the DNR would have to pay someone to stay later instead of paying one person. For them to find the funds to stay open later, and or add Monday and Tuesday shooting would require money that the state doesn't have.

I personally appreciate the fact that it is free and my tax money and license fees are used for something I can actually enjoy without added costs.
    Free, yes. But our tax money in Indiana goes to a general fund. Not to natural resources...So the tax collected from every box of ammo, fishing rod, gun, clay targets, etc goes to the general fund. IF there is any left over after we build a stadium or an arts park or finish privatizing the state, they throw a bone to the DNR or teachers occasionally just to shut them up......
    I once offered to donate time and materials to build a small dock at the boat launch at Province Pond and was shot down by the DNR...said they had to get approval from the state and it was too big of a hassle. This was pretty disappointing.

A few years ago there was no range officer. When I was a kid there were nice tables with roofs over them, and the 100 yard range was open for rifles...people shot up the tables and roofs so they took the roofs down, they closed the 100 yard range when houses were shot because people shot over the back stop. So as is par for the course, a few "tool boxes" ruined a good thing for everyone.
    My rant is done......:cool:

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I just went to Wilber Wright today. What a great place to shoot. The range master was awesome. Very helpful. I don't remember his name ( I think it was Sam). I just got a DPMS AR15 last week and finally got to shoot it. :rockwoot:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    have you been there lately? All of the nearby village idiots go there, they NEED a full-time range officer!

yep. they're 50% of the reason i quit going....the cocky RO's were the other 50%. There was a cool old cat that worked there for a long time and once they got rid of him it went downhill fast...

rangeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Hagerstown
    You should come back and try it again. Some of the changes I think you might like. They have a real gun guy as a range officer and he is trying to make some changes for the better.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Ive been out there a few times in the last month or two, and its been great, sometimes the pistol range gets a little crowded but ive never had a probem getting a lane on the rifle range. (usually ony one or two other people there) I went out there sunday morning with my wife, father-in-law and wife's uncle and we had the rifle range all to ourselves for about an hour and a half, RO's have been great too, the young guy is real laid back, and the big older guy seems a little more hard nosed, but if you follow the rules nothing will be said.

Top Bottom