• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I still hold the Morgan County record for vertical leap after seeing my first Timber Rattler in Morgan-Monroe.:D

I shot one off my leg in '82 opening day of squirrel season. 47 1/2" long, 2 1/2" around. 10 rattles and a button. I still have the polaroid and piece of the boot where the Timber hit my leg. IF you broke my record you earned it. I couldn't jump over 20' backwards for the dung around my ankles.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Generally when Im in the woods, I'm either coyote hunting or plinking/camping with my Polish AKMS, and I always keep a spare mag loaded with 8m3 hollowpoints for hunting or SD.

Also, I generally have my tokarev in a leather flap holster. 7.62x25 Tok actually is a interesting little round and is pretty useful in the woods. Shoots flat out to like 50 yards, is pleasant to shoot even with hot new production ammo, and with proper shot placement is not the worst SD choice. Also, flap holsters are great for the woods because they are easy to get to, cheap, and if you fall down or something it keeps the crap out of your gun

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The .41 Blackhawk is just the cats meow. :cheers:With so much metal removed it handles nice!

Copy snip:

Kinda surprised nobody is carrying a single action .357 or .41 Rugers.

That's cause mine's a .44 :)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Not as nice as a 4 5/8" barrel 1873 38-40 Colt, but real nice just the same.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Seems to me the definition of "woods gun" is relative. I had bought a glock 20 since 10mm is going to be my "woods" round, problem is I don't want to risk beating it up, so it's now a BBQ gun, which leaves me without a woods gun. I suppose my "go to" gun for te woods would actually be a ruger American rimfire or a Remington 550. This is a pretty funny discussion. :):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Seems to me the definition of "woods gun" is relative. I had bought a glock 20 since 10mm is going to be my "woods" round, problem is I don't want to risk beating it up, so it's now a BBQ gun, which leaves me without a woods gun. I suppose my "go to" gun for te woods would actually be a ruger American rimfire or a Remington 550. This is a pretty funny discussion. :):

I don't think it is 1) possible for a Glock to ever be a BBQ gun or 2) beat up a Glock. I mean come on, its a Glock. What are you going to do make it uglier?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had bought a glock 20 since 10mm is going to be my "woods" round, problem is I don't want to risk beating it up, so it's now a BBQ gun, which leaves me without a woods gun.

I am repping you Aaron580....I have never seen "Glock" and "BBQ Gun" in the same sentence before.....Did you maybe mean BBQ as in "The wife asked me to go pick up some Famous Dave's BBQ and I had my Glock on me?????":):

I am still stumped with the premise of the OP's question....

This is INGO for Pete's sake...We have designated Zombie Apocolypse Guns, Watching "Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan" Guns, Watching "Dirty Harry" guns, Truck Guns, Farm Guns, Coyote Guns, Loaner to the nephew guns, Squirrel guns, Rabbit Guns, Bird Guns, Turkey Guns, Deer Guns, Daniel Boone flintlock guns, Jeremiah Johnson style Hawkens Rifles, CAS weapons etc....etc....And he is shocked that we have a designated gun for strolling through the woods hunting morels, ginseng, golden seal, etc....:):

We are nerds dude....And nerds like guns.....Period....:yesway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now that I think about it shouldn't a "woods gun" be a .22lr?

I mean Smith & Wesson made a bunch of beautiful, gorgeous "kit guns" with this premise in mind. I think a "woods gun", if a pistol, is a .22.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Now that I think about it shouldn't a "woods gun" be a .22lr?

I mean Smith & Wesson made a bunch of beautiful, gorgeous "kit guns" with this premise in mind. I think a "woods gun", if a pistol, is a .22.

Dang lawyers always spouting precedent. I think a "woods gun" is any gun, the purchase of which, you are trying to justify.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    The more classifications we come up with helps throw the wife's off our trail. My wife refers to one of my higher capacity pistols as my "Indy gun". I typically carry a single stack daily. But the few times a year I go to Indy I typically carry something in the neighborhood of 17+1 9mm and a reload or two.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I fish at a lake that is way out in the middle of nowhere, and I always carry my Super Redhawk Alaskan, I guess it's my "fishing gun", so yeah, I've finally justified buying it.:rockwoot:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    The more classifications we come up with helps throw the wife's off our trail. My wife refers to one of my higher capacity pistols as my "Indy gun". I typically carry a single stack daily. But the few times a year I go to Indy I typically carry something in the neighborhood of 17+1 9mm and a reload or two.

I live in Indy and never have fewer than 27 rounds on my person, another 13 in the truck.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Woods gun, zombie gun, HD gun, cc gun, surf (different than zombie gun), dress clothes gun.... whatever it takes to justify a purchase. A woods gun in my eyes is reliable, and can be beaten up a bit. Even if I don't wander around the woods regularly, I like to have one handy if I need one!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom