• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Two Texas Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on Hwy 77, just south of Kingsvill , Texas

One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the town of Kingsville . The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour and climbing.

The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then it suddenly turned off.

Just then a deafening roar over the Mesquite treetops on Hwy 77 revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet which was engaged in a low flying exercise near this, it's Naval Air home base location in Kingsville.

Back at the Texas Highway Patrol Headquarters in Corpus Christi the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the US Naval Base Commander in Kingsville for shutting down his equipment.

The reply came back in true USMC style:

'Thank you for your letter....

You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down.

Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment's location.

Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position on the side of Hwy 77 So. of Kingsville.

The pilot suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech.

Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar. It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.'

Semper Fi

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Funny story, Charles, but it looks like an urban myth.

Truth or Uban Legend?? - RC Groups

As a CHP Officer I can confirm this is a myth. I have been able to lock onto airplanes but I have to be on a slope at an angle in which the antenna is pointing towards the plane's flight path, and the airplanes have to be in the take off or landing mode of flight. (Close to the ground). As for the missile lock... the jets are so high up when they fly to and from the base to the bombing range it is very unlikely the jets radar would pick up the CHP radar. Just figure this; the jets are at least 20,000 feet being tracked by ground-based radar from the FAA. The power output of the CHP radar wouldn't be strong enough to override the FAA radar.

Also, the CHP radar is limited to a top speed of 225 mph.

Definitely busted.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh poo, someone always shoots holes in a great story. Remember, we all embellish a bit...ie, the fish get bigger, the woman get prettier etc. It is not the story or even the facts...it is the telling that draws us in......enjoy

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Dunno. Some of the missions, and therefore the practices, are indeed at low levels. Very low. I've had A10s pop up over the highway I was on from nowhere and just about crease the roof of my car. Ok, I exaggerate, but only a little. ECM (electronic counter measures) are in large part automatic, and the missiles are as well. You have to tell them not to fire, and catch them before they do. This may not actually have happened the way they say it did, but it is in fact plausible, in that, at least the planes may well have been within the pattern of the radar. They're working a couple orders of magnitude beyond what everyone else is.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Spent 12 years as a jet engine tech on A-10s. We had to do ground engine runs for various ops checks. Every once in a while, the plane would have an AGM-65 Maverick training missile on station 3 or 9. We would fire up the camera and track the security forces patrols in our cross-hairs.:D

Top Bottom