• ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I agree... partly.
    Everyone needs a rifle with in a potent caliber... LIKE a .308.

I've had 2 rifles in .308, and they were both good rifles. The only thing they had that was better than any other caliber though, was covered at the very beginning of the video. Same thing Col. Cooped liked about the round... the fact that it was available almost anywhere.

My Lee Enfield is just as capable, holds 10 rounds, and has a faster action.
    My .243 is enough gun for anything around here, and is the single most accurate rifle I've ever owned.
    My 7mm Mauser chambered Remington 700 Classic can do anything a .308 can, and has softer recoil.

These rifles don't have the universal "find ammo anywhere" ability of the .308, but I like them better, and they can do the same job.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    The real question is why not have multiple calibers? I love my 3006 but have a 308 too
    After so long, you end up with 7 or 8 different sizes of ammo which starts to get expensive. When i buy s gun, i tend to stick with calibers i already have ammo for.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    After so long, you end up with 7 or 8 different sizes of ammo which starts to get expensive. When i buy s gun, i tend to stick with calibers i already have ammo for.
    I do get caliber compatibility and I have multiple systems that are just that, but its also good to have a range of guns that take different calibers. The way I see it is if TEOTWAWKI I wont be screwed if I find 9mm and have multiple 45. JMO.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I don't know when this link was posted but all the listings are Wolf.

I've only ever seen Hornady and Wolf
    If you exclude wolf on the search you will see more. Hornady, PPU/Prvi and Nosler are showing available now. Nosler is $$$$$. Saw some Barnes Match and a few others I am nor familiar with too but caveat emptor. HaHa. Part of me is hesitant to post this, but just looked and Cabelas has Hornady Black in stock for $31.99 box of 20. Free ship to store and free shipping over $50. It will likely go out of stock soon.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think every man should have a good accurate rifle, period.

I've put deer in the freezer with 30-06, 308, 6.5 creedmoor, and 44 mag and none of them gave me any backtalk.

I've taken a 30-06, 308, and 6.5cm out to 1,000 yards and they all smack targets if you do your part.

At some point it all turns into a worthless debate because I'd feel comfortable with any of those if I was told I get one rifle for the rest of my life. My first deer was with an encore 30-06 that I still have. My 6.5cm is a competition/shtf no expense spared rifle that's outstanding on the range and the only complaints have been from the deer it keeps killing. My 308 bolt gun is for team competitions where one person is limited to a military caliber and I have zero concerns about running that rifle.

Having said all that, I'm in the process of reacquiring another M1A scout because selling the one I had is one of my bigger regrets and the way the world is going I want a semi auto 308 that's undeniably reliable, and functionally accurate for anything practical.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I started with 30-06 as the "standard" centerfire rifle caliber. "Not much trouble a man can't fix with $900 and a 30-06" was my motto.

With National Match competition I grew to appreciate the 7.62 X 51. It is a good cartridge. The 1000 yard target in regulation Palma matches is tricky with the 7.62 X 51, especially in a legal service rifle. I was able to shoot 1000 yards with a 30-06 loaded with 190 grain bullets in a match rifle. It is much far easier to stay supersonic. The more open class 6.5mm X 284 wildcat was so much easier it felt like I was cheating.

At 800 yards and closer the .308 is very capable and enjoyable. I think everyone should have a couple of them, a keg of IMR 4064 and a 5 gallon bucket of Sierra MatchKing bullets.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I never subscribed to the versatility of a cartridge.
    Bought for specific purpose/load.
    If I want hotter or more mild, I just get another rifle chambered for that level of performance.

Have a .30-06. My .300 winmag days are over.
    Like .308, have had a couple, am down to one.....but looking for my second.

7600 carbine, w an Aimpoint H2. My poor mans "Boar Fever" rig.

Proly shoulda kept my boat paddle 77mkII. It shot well, not great, but that stock, stainless......it was just an all around tough hunting rig.

Boring as heck too.

Am sure if I find another its gonna cost way more than my previous * smacks head against wall *

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I love the -06 (have a couple Garands, a 1917 and an 03A3), but I do need a .308. I used to have access to a couple of M14s at work, but we got rid of those a while back and I still have about 30 rounds loaded for them that I didn't get a chance to shoot up. I can't think of a more legitimate excuse to buy an M1A ;).

Top Bottom