• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Looking back, I know my first handguns was the Hight Point. I purchased it because of the price and the ability to get into firearms, cheaply. I don't know if it was me or the gun, but it jammed a lot and wasn't pleasurable to shoot at the range. I know many people have asked about High Point's on INGO and all I could give them was my experience with that particular gun. I'm not sure if they are all bad, but due to that experience, I will never purchase another one.

I traded the High Point in on the Taurus 24/7. It was a good gun, but after hearing so much about the Springfield XD I traded in the 24/7, but found it to be uncomfortable. I read a few more reviews and decided to trade in the 24/7 on... I can't even remember. But, after that I found INGO and stopped trading in guns. :D I also learned that just because a lot of people own a certain gun doesn't mean it's right for me. Now, I do carry a Glock 23 everyday, but it's because of size, weight, magazine capacity, reliability, feel, and my comfort level with the piece. I would recommend that everyone try one out, but I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    P95 DC is one of the best 9s out there. I would love to buy mine back from my buddy but he won't sell it. In close to 10,000 rounds I had 2 FTF and it was my reloads when I was a new reloader. Outside of that, never had an issue.

I'm surprised to hear that the P345 jams. I appreciate the heads up on that though.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've never really considered a Ruger, so I Googled some images and it is a nice looking firearm. Do they all come with safeties? If so, that is one reason why I would never own one. I just prefer my EDC have no safeties other than my finger.

not sure about his ruger, but mine had the decocker/safety lock...DA/SA otherwise. I did wish you could cock and lock with the p345, but they didn't make them that way.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    P95 DC is one of the best 9s out there. I would love to buy mine back from my buddy but he won't sell it. In close to 10,000 rounds I had 2 FTF and it was my reloads when I was a new reloader. Outside of that, never had an issue.

I'm surprised to hear that the P345 jams. I appreciate the heads up on that though.

I sent that pistol in twice, never got it fixed...not saying the next p345 will be the same as this may be an isolated case. I just gave up on it and was looking to upgrade to something reliable, maybe I'll give it another go after I get a kimber 1911.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Great OP and excellant thread idea :yesway:

I agree, you picked your gun, don't look for approval from other just go and shoot it :ar15: and have some fun !!!!!

PS if you really want to have fun, watch 1911 owners defend their brand (Yes, I've been guilty myself :):), can be more fun then a thread of Glock vs XD owners :D

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I am a fan of the Ruger P series. I have a KP-97DC (.45acp, stainless slide with decocker only... no safety) and that is my everyday carry. It is built like a tank, easy to maintain and I have never had a FTF/FTE with factory ammo. I will admit I have had some on my reloads while still working up the load but that is a failure on my part, not the gun's.

My wife carried a .380 and did not like it so she tried my p97... loved the feel of it but was uncomfortable with the recoil and follow-up shots so she picked out a KP-95. Basically the same gun, dimension-wise but in 9mm (she could use my extra holsters if hers didn't have the rail on it) She loves it and shoots it well. Her gun, being the newer design has a safety with a decocker which is fine... she just engages the safety to decock and then flips the safety off.

This:
    i never use the safety and i decock with the trigger and thumb
    I do not understand:n00b:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Personally speaking, I don't think there is a brand out that I would not try if the price looked like a good value.

My assortment of handguns is small compared to most guys here, but only a couple are from the same company (cz). The other few are standard stuff from different companies. No exotics.

I guess I'd draw the line at getting into those cheaper so-called saturday night specials that come all polished up for under $150. I've really no desire to buy those.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I am one of those that finds what they can afford and what is comfortable to me. I really don't care what someone thinks of my choices in fire arms and I TRY to not pass judgment on others choices.
    Excellent frame of mind!

In regard to the OP,..... it seems some folks simply cannot give another credit for having enough sense to make a wise choice and or, are too limited of mind to realize that tastes are varied. In the firearms world there are often several " right" choices because of any given gun type there will be more than one offering sufficient reliablity and performance to fulfill a need.
    There are also those who simply have limited experience with a wide variety of arms( even though they may be distinguished experts with their own choices) ie... limited imagination, and rely on less than personal experience or first hand witness knowledge.
    Another will even recommend what even in his own experience has been problematic and not acknowledge that another can choose for him/ her self.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    just don't like using the safety on mine...its a manual safety model also...i have spent hours and hours practicing this maneuver into a decock condition, although i do understand the risks..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Glocks are a love/hate relationship, Beretta has their own fan club, and I never had good experience with my ruger p345.

I love the ruger p345, it felt the best of any guns I've ever held but jams like nobody's business. I would love to have another one, but my experience scares me away every time.

People are going to love what you picked out, and people are going to hate. shake the dust off of your shoulder and pick what you like.

JOC... did you call Ruger and discuss your problem with the gun?

Edit: Never mind! I see you did.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    JOC... did you call Ruger and discuss your problem with the gun?

Yes, multiple time... they told me the gunsmith took it to their range and shot fine with it using Winchester ammo, I did the same after I got it back and while it was better then it was, it still jammed. Pissed me off bad enough to practically give the gun away...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've never really considered a Ruger, so I Googled some images and it is a nice looking firearm. Do they all come with safeties? If so, that is one reason why I would never own one. I just prefer my EDC have no safeties other than my finger.

Most P series pistols were available in a decocker/safety model, a decocker only model, or a double action only model.

Just because a double action pistol has a safety doesn't mean it's necessary to carry it with the safety on. We were trained to carry the M9s hammer down, safety off, using the safety only as a decocker.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Most P series pistols were available in a decocker/safety model, a decocker only model, or a double action only model.

Just because a double action pistol has a safety doesn't mean it's necessary to carry it with the safety on. We were trained to carry the M9s hammer down, safety off, using the safety only as a decocker.

I used to carry my p345 cocked and unlocked...I took heat for it from several unnamed individuals

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    fireaxes- dont get me wrong, i could give a **** about people think of my firearm, that was the point of the post...unless i misinterpreted your post, then my bad...

Que- check out the new SR series no safety, loaded chamber indicator, high cap, beautiful design..but yea, all of Ruger's hammer opt designs are either going to have a safety or decocker...i never use the safety and i decock with the trigger and thumb...

The SR series actually does have a manual safety.

fasteddie48

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    pekin indiana
    i carried for 5 year what looked like the south end of a north bound cow it had been dropped kicked mud water thrown around lost when i moved paint on it but this gun never failed me when i used it still have it in the safe now keep a cleaner nicer gun to carry but if i knew i need it it will still be my first choice people use to laugh when i went and got it but the laughting stopped when it spoke doesnt matter what other people think it what in your heart when u need it

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    fireaxes- dont get me wrong, i could give a **** about people think of my firearm, that was the point of the post...unless i misinterpreted your post, then my bad...

Que- check out the new SR series no safety, loaded chamber indicator, high cap, beautiful design..but yea, all of Ruger's hammer opt designs are either going to have a safety or decocker...i never use the safety and i decock with the trigger and thumb...

Nooooo problem, I get what your saying. I was just giving you a little encouragement. We all have stuff that gets under our skin. I have my own list. Now I'm off to start a new thread on the whole 2 versus 4 slot toaster flame war!;)

Top Bottom