Why does FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL need this ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    About 8 years ago we were given the option of using the BDU style uniform. The honestly have been great. I carry about 20 pounds of gear when I get out of the car, most is the vest and gun belt but there are several other things that I carry now that I couldn't have with the class A uniform. There are pockets all over them. Plus, working second and third shift it's loose enough going over fences. Easier to clean also. The big thing is we pay for them ourselves. Yes we get a uniform allowance and have to maintain 1 class A uniform. As far as the pistols, we started to transition to semi automatic pistols way before 9-11. I hope that clears things up a little.
    We switched to S&W 645's in the 80's. :)
    We used the class A uniform for everyday Duty use until after I retired. :(

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We switched to S&W 645's in the 80's. :)
    We used the class A uniform for everyday Duty use until after I retired. :(
    In the mid 80's we started to use 9MM. The department not knowing any better had a wide range of ones we could carry. I had the S&W 639. The department started issuing the SIG for all new officers. We eventually went to the Glock 21 and now the new generation Glock 21.

I can remember my first issued winter pair of pants. It had a "slapper" pocket on the right side. It was just below the pocket and you could slide a slapper into it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Or, are you just talking about their armored car?

As for myself, I don't care if IMPD has used it. They shouldn't have it. It serves as a springboard for more and more toys.

Let Godzilla come. He won't and you won't need your toys.
    You still have not told us what you would use in their place (APC's). "Godzilla" has already come several times bouncing 7.62 ammo off the outside of the V150. Without that, the rounds would have been ripping through the officers. I can show you what a 7.62 round does to a patrol car. Jason Baker knows and died because of it.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    • Armored Personnel Carriers In November 1998, the Florida Highway Patrol acquired 3 armored personnel carriers from the Department of Management Services, Bureau of Federal Property Assistance. The fully functional units were acquired for a total of $1,500.00. These military surplus V-150 carriers have been re-

I'll admit I haven't read all 27 pages, but where can I get one at the price (with no weapons of course)?

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm surprised the ATF doesn't use them to transport guns into Mexico. They could these them in as an extra bonus for every1000 guns bought by the mafia.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    What did you do before you had the toy?

Do that then.
    We borrowed what we needed. We had a guy in a nearby city that had a restored Vietnam era vehicle that he offered to let us use. The point is that if it can be utilized in a manner as such to prevent another person and/or officer from being injured, why not use it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Bottom line it does not matter what the whiners think, armored vehicles have a legitimate place in modern law enforcement. Even though they are cheap (almost free) we still have a few guys crying about tax payers money:rolleyes:. Heck I am a tax payer and I don't mind.

These vehicles are here to stay like it or not. Also worth noting, the US DOD is getting ready to hand off a VERY large amount of up armored HUMVEEs off to the LE community. These have rifle rated armor and windows, run flat tires, and the more powerful GM diesel engine. They are not very good for IED's but will be nice for the LE functions. :yesway: All they will need is a paint job.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    We didn't. How many people did Charles Whitman kill in that tower while Officers were powerless with their handguns to stop him. It took almost 2 hours and with BORROWED hunting rifles, the officers were able to storm the tower and kill him. .

What did you do before you had the toy?

Do that then.
    Your question was answered by Denny many pages ago.
    See above!!
    Muzzle loaders were just fine up until the Civil War.
    I suppose you'd be happier if LEO's were restricted to them as well. :rolleyes:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    We borrowed what we needed. We had a guy in a nearby city that had a restored Vietnam era vehicle that he offered to let us use. The point is that if it can be utilized in a manner as such to prevent another person and/or officer from being injured, why not use it.
    He doesn't care if LEO's are killed.
    The primary concern is that his potential clients survive the incident.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    It's a case of not understanding or not wanting to understand. Officers go out there day in and day out. I am not saying that they are special, it's just that they are doing a special job. One that most don't want to do or find fault at those who do. Utilizing surplus equipment, borrowing from others or buying their own is more of the norm since the money crunch that cities say they have. Taking cuts in pay or losing jobs through attrition or losing benefits have become normal in our job. But when the time comes we get into our cars and go available for service. Complain if you must, it won't change our service you receive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    He doesn't care if LEO's are killed.
    The primary concern is that his potential clients survive the incident.

I would be very careful about slandering a man like that, Sir. It is one thing to disagree with him, another entirely to belittle his character.

My :twocents:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I would be very careful about slandering a man like that, Sir. It is one thing to disagree with him, another entirely to belittle his character.

My :twocents:
    Perhaps you're right.
    Maybe I was a bit harsh.
    I apologize for my emotional post.
    Now!
    Maybe Kirk will redact this statement that he made a few days ago in which he slanders all Officers of The Canton Police Department by stating that they have in the past Committed murder and other crimes against Citizens.

"I agree, President Schulman.

In order to combat this potential harm, I demand that you disarm each and every officer of the Canton Police Department, on duty and off, that way your officers can no longer going on to threaten Murder and other crimes against citizens.

The names and addresses of all officers and their families should be published to ensure that citizens avoid your officers so citizens are not harmed in anyway."

The post can be found here;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._threatens_to_execute_ohio_ccw_holder-61.html

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Let's face it, whether people like it or not, military tactics do have a place in the police hand book. Why? Because they work. Military tactics should not be misused, at times when they are, I have a problem with it. IFVs do have a place in the police garage, unless it's being misused.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Let's face it, whether people like it or not, military tactics do have a place in the police hand book. Why? Because they work. Military tactics should not be misused, at times when they are, I have a problem with it. IFVs do have a place in the police garage, unless it's being misused.

And there lies the voice of reason and common sense........from a person that has publicly both supported and denounced the police.

+1 and rep inbound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

So long as officers are willing to accept that additional equipment and training, particularly those of a military nature, must add additional scrutiny to their actions, I have no problem with this. :yesway:

I only say this because there are politicians who want the police to be a very well equipped military-lite equal to the National Guard at least in terms of training and equipment. We maintain that the military must remain separate from the police, and vice-versa, so any additional space taken away from that separation must of necessity result in heavier scrutiny than before to ensure that what little room remains between the two stays between them. This will mean more criticism, valid and invalid.

I respect that officers can use this equipment for their own protection and the protection of the rights and lives of those they are sworn to serve, and I hope that these machines are never misused.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    • Armored Personnel Carriers In November 1998, the Florida Highway Patrol acquired 3 armored personnel carriers from the Department of Management Services, Bureau of Federal Property Assistance. The fully functional units were acquired for a total of $1,500.00. These military surplus V-150 carriers have been re-painted courtesy of the Apalachee Correctional Institution at an average cost of $260.34 per unit, and now proudly display the Florida Highway Patrol colors and seal. These units will be strategically placed throughout the state of Florida as a means of providing law enforcement support and safety in the event of high-risk emergency situations. Currently, the carriers are assigned to Troop D- Orlando,Troop E-Miami, and Troop G-Jacksonville.

According to the Greeneville Sun the Greeneville Police Department has acquired a military surplus armored personnel carrier for use by its Special Response Team.

Assistant Chief Terry Cannon said the U.S. Army surplus M113A2 armored personnel carrier (APC) arrived by tractor-trailer Friday from the Army's Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.

Cannon said the vehicle was acquired after a year-long effort begun by recently retired Chief Mack Jones.

"Mack started it and I finished it," Assistant Chief Cannon said, noting that the 25,000-pound vehicle cost more than $400,000 new and still has an estimated worth of $250,000.

The vehicle, he said, didn't cost the Greeneville Police Department anything, other than the cost of transporting it to Greeneville.

He said plans are to use the armored vehicle to provide cover for Special Response Team (SRO) members during hostage situations or armed stand-off situations.

"Its armor will stop anything up to .50-caliber machine gun rounds," Assistant Chief Cannon said.
    v150's and M-113
    s will stop most rounds up to .30, however, .50 BMG is going to blow fist sized holes through both sides... ;)
    Then again...some folks don't think the police should have guns
    No I think Police should have Firearms, they should just have to follow the exact same rules as the rest of the Civilians... ;)

Top Bottom