• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something else I was thinking about. In 1997 it would cost you $100-120 a square for us to tear off your roof, haul away debris, install new shingles. We use to price $35 for material, 35 for tear off and 35 to install. Today we have $125 and up per square in materials, minimum. Tear off is still only about $45-50....and install is 65-70 a square, and then we have 2 story and steep fees. So you can see materials have went up about 200-300%+, tear off has went up about 25% and install up 100%.

Now if these numbers hold true.......in 2040, materials could cost us $300+ a square, tear off $60-65 and install $120-140. Total in 2040 projected to be about $450-500 a square to have your home roofed, with no decking included. In 2000 it was $100-120 in 2020 $230-300 in 2040 $500.

So if I am thinking right, HOA dues really need to increase at least 5% a year? And that's just for the roof, correct? I assume HOA's take these projected increases into consideration when figuring HOA dues? I can see how that could be very tough to figure...probably takes a lot of time and preparing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder if DeSantis is an INGO member?

HOAs will be barred from:

— Banning residents from parking non-commercial, personal or work vehicles on the property. First responder vehicles are also exempted.

— Creating requirements or rules for the interior of a home that is not visible from the street, a neighbor’s property, an adjacent common area or a community golf course.

— Requiring a review and approval of plans for a central air conditioning, refrigeration, heating or ventilation system that can’t be seen from the street, a neighbor’s property, an adjacent common area or community golf course.

— Preventing homeowners from having a vegetable garden that can’t be seen from the street, a neighbor’s property, an adjacent common area or community golf course.

— Fining residents for leaving garbage cans at the curb or end of their driveway within 24 hours of a scheduled trash collection.

— Fining residents for leaving up holiday decorations or lights longer than indicated in the HOA’s governing documents without prior notice. If the association provides written notice of the violation to the homeowner, the homeowner has one week to take the decorations down.

Ever wonder why work trucks are banned in HOAs so often? Are they that unsightly, or is it who drives a work truck isn't really welcomed by folks super duper concerned about the style of hinges on your garage door?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ever wonder why work trucks are banned in HOAs so often? Are they that unsightly, or is it who drives a work truck isn't really welcomed by folks super duper concerned about the style of hinges on your garage door?
    This is government intervention in a purely private matter. A government that can tell you what you cannot do can also tell you what you must do.

From the article:

During a town hall meeting last year, Porras said HOAs faced “no form of accountability,” an that needed to change.

HOA’s are accountable to the members and courts routinely enforce covenants.

“We’re seeing harassment of homeowners,” he said. “We’re seeing selective enforcement of bylaws and covenants.”

If true this should be easy to prove and get corrected by the courts, where civil issues are resolved which is what this is, not a state government matter.

Reactions: Leo

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Personally, I think it's because people who live in HOAs believe every other work truck actually belongs to a 3 letter agency that's out to get them.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

That is long overdue in Florida. That place is batcrap crazy concerning HOAs. I mean Neighborhood Watch groups can't co-exist with HOAs level of batcrap (and that was in the National Sheriff's Association's guidance for Neighborhood Watch groups.)

Where we were (between Williamsburg and the bridge-tunnel on I-64, Langley AFB/Fort Eustis) in Virginia? Actually worse.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

It is pretty clear that wreckers, heavy equipment service trucks, even full on 18 wheelers add nothing to the neighborhood aesthetic. Do you believe that property value will increase or decline relative to the number of big trucks parked in the neighborhood? This is most peoples biggest investment is it irrational they want to protect it by keeping resale values up?

(I know, most of INGO doesn’t want increased resale values because they are not moving and it increases their taxes that should not ever change.)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Interesting, wonder from a legal aspect, how this will work with HOA's with existing covenants that contain these things that pre-date the law?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It is pretty clear that wreckers, heavy equipment service trucks, even full on 18 wheelers add nothing to the neighborhood aesthetic. Do you believe that property value will increase or decline relative to the number of big trucks parked in the neighborhood? This is most peoples biggest investment is it irrational they want to protect it by keeping resale values up?

(I know, most of INGO doesn’t want increased resale values because they are not moving and it increases their taxes that should not ever change.)
    So just ban commercial vehicles over a certain size. Problem solved. No reason a standard duty van or 3/4 ton truck shouldnt be allowed to park there. So the 1500 with a logo is bad but Buffy's Expedition or Grand Waggoneer is OK?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So the 1500 with a logo is bad but Buffy's Expedition or Grand Waggoneer is OK?

Who's driving the Buffy-mobile and who's driving the 1500 with a logo on it? HOAs came into being after overt racial discrimination in real estate covenants were deemed unenforceable by SCOTUS. You couldn't simply say 'no blacks, no jews' any longer. Don't want too many of "them" in the neighborhood to drive down prices, as we've been constantly reminded the HOA's mission is to police the neighbhorhood's home values. You really want those PBR swilling blue collar workers in the neighborhood? I've even heard some of them are *whisper* hispanic...

That's your real reason. It has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. It's exclusionary for the people who drive them.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Interesting, wonder from a legal aspect, how this will work with HOA's with existing covenants that contain these things that pre-date the law?
    We went through that in 2012 (IIRC) and one more recently. Indiana Code changes were specific on dates (covenants before a certain date could continue with a policy, other IC changes were "change this now".)

The US Flag flap in Greenwood that lead to IC change? Wouldn't happen here because we ain't stupid.

Number of months in arrears/can still vote as a HOA member changed with IC.

How matters are handled (lets say, vacant lots owned by a developer that resembled a hay field... and yes it was in the front) were specified in IC. Letter followed in 10 days by a strongly worded letter followed in 10 days by a terse memo (kinda kidding, kinda not) is now in IC. In this case we had the Town of Avon be the bad guy and the developer got a bill for mowing from the town.

Solar panels were addressed recently in IC. It had a caveat for covenants before a specific date. Our neighborhood does pre-date the cutoff in the new IC. While it hasn't come up (nobody has approached on installation of solar panels) I can say it is viewed as "not a hill worth dying on" and if it's good with the town zoning peeps we'll go with it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest problem with an HOA is that the H doesn't represent what they claim it does. It represents the developer that makes up the rules as the sole owner of the area and then hands it over to the homeowners after a certain point. Of course at this point, there is almost no way to get a collection of the homeowners large enough to agree to changing anything for better or worse. IMO the fix is for the rules to be wiped clean after handing it over to the actual homeowners and no rules will be recognized by the courts without a majority agreement from the real homeowners.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest problem with an HOA is that the H doesn't represent what they claim it does. It represents the developer that makes up the rules as the sole owner of the area and then hands it over to the homeowners after a certain point. Of course at this point, there is almost no way to get a collection of the homeowners large enough to agree to changing anything for better or worse. IMO the fix is for the rules to be wiped clean after handing it over to the actual homeowners and no rules will be recognized by the courts without a majority agreement from the real homeowners.
    This implies that those that purchased from the developer did not agree with the covenants as set forth by the developer but they bought anyway.

The fix is to make actual modifications the property owners want. Every year thousands of developments successfully amend their covenants to what they want them to be, but the trick is a solid majority must approve the change. Would even anti HOA INGO approve of a small number of homeowners being enough to change the covenants for everyone?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom