• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What training requirements should be implemented?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm all for it, in MI I made a ton of money teaching the mandated CPL course in the evenings and weekends! :rockwoot:Just kidding, it's like anything else you want to teach those who are there because they want to be not because they have to.

mtomaro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Anti-gunners WILL NOT teach their kids anything whatsoever about firearms safety. Nothing.:rockwoot:

And sadly it's the one thing that EVERYONE should know.

Aside from that, there's the very scary fact that the overwhelming majority of permit holders do not have proper training. In all areas from safety, to tactical, to legal. If you're going to carry you need to be safe, know how to react in situations when your firearm might have to be used, as well as the legal repercussions of using it.

It is, however, a catch 22. I think we have too much regulation and hoops to jump through as it is but at the same time there are so many people who buy a gun and throw it in their pocket or purse and forget about it, only to panic in an extreme situation years down the road.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I had a lot on my plate this morning and made an omission.
    When I mentioned 'session's in school, I was just talking about a short NRA safety video. Kids love videos. That way every one of them would watch and even if their parents are anti, they'll at least have some understanding...Maybe? Who knows. It couldn't hurt.:) It could prevent one of the numerous 10 Year Old Shoots Brother with Dad's Gun' stories that seem to pop up each year, imho.

Nothing more should be needed.

Last edited:

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Guess what folks, I'm gonna change my mind, or viewpoint if you will. Had a chance to do a little research and found this which gave some hard facts. For your reading pleasure, it is what it is.

http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=360&Itemid=37

I still believe that most if not all people should seek out basic training with regards to safety and operation of their arms. Obviously by the articule I linked to should not be mandated tho, I guess. I'm convinced, but still wonder.
    Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Personally, I think everyone should have gun safety training. And I literally mean everyone. Not just gun owners, not just people who carry or hunt, but every man, woman and child should receive training on proper gun safety. I think this would eliminate some stigma and incorrect beliefs about guns and gun ownership. I also think there shouldn't be any restrictions on where a person can carry and don't think people should need a license or permit to carry. And to clarify even further, owning a gun would not be dependent on a person having taken the course. The training would simply be a natural thing that happens. There would be different levels. As soon as a child is old enough to understand, they would be taught gun safety. As they get a bit older, they would be taught safe gun handling and shooting. Nobody would be forced to own a gun, but everyone would understand them. It's a bit utopian, but whatever.
    A beautiful dream.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Holy misleading thread title, Batman.

I am not against a "safety course", and have never met anyone who is.

I am opposed to overbearing government apportioning out the "privilege" of exercising basic human rights based on the whims, vapors and megrims of the anti-American, extremist special-interest groups that have infected this day and age.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Just because mandatory training is a bad thing (and it really is) that doesn't mean you shouldn't choose to make it a priority on your own. Since we all seem to universally agree that training is a good thing, maybe we'll see more gun owners taking some. Right?

Top Bottom