• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    For the first time in 32 years, I have a boat. Its just a 14 foot aluminum, but I hope to get it kitted out soon for this year. Not sure where to take it though.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    For the first time in 32 years, I have a boat. Its just a 14 foot aluminum, but I hope to get it kitted out soon for this year. Not sure where to take it though.

White River up near Broad Ripple has a boat ramp, some GREAT smallie fishing there. Eagle Creek has some decent fishing too.

Geist is worth the trip every now and then for some pretty good bassfishin.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I cannot wait to get my tin out on the water. I picked up a 15 johnny this winter. Going to go great on my 1648 flat bottom river boat. I'm ready to get onto some bronzebacks.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    White River up near Broad Ripple has a boat ramp, some GREAT smallie fishing there. Eagle Creek has some decent fishing too.

Geist is worth the trip every now and then for some pretty good bassfishin.
    I had a friend who in the early 90's would hit that stretch of river often. I lived not far from there so I did too but for him, he was looking for a state record Smallie and would drive into town to hit that stretch. After the chemical spill an hour north it went down but imagine by now it has bounced back. There is also the dam up near Noblesville which makes for a nice pool for small boats. In general if fishing close to Indy, I would fish North of Indy, South of 38th street gets nasty. If you need reinforcement, wait for a hot day then go drive Fall Creek road south from the fair grounds with your window rolled down, especially after a big rain. Yes those are turds you are smelling.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I'm gonna try a carp tourny with West Side Bait & Tackle this year .

We donated a knife to them a few years back as a prize and never even got a thank you. Not even sure who got the knife or anything since it was never announced on their forum.
    Good luck in the tournament. Catching carp is fun and even more fun if you can win some money.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I cleaned out the old boat I hauled away from a customers house, after she said she wanted it gone. I filled it halfway with water and didnt see any leaks, so far so good. I parked it at my dads house at least until I can get it ship shape. All I need is a trolling motor.
    Im gonna build some boxes to hold my plano tackle containers, and a couple rod holders. Should be fun. Alot different than my kayak.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I love six pound mono for bass. Would any of you ever use four pound mono for fluorocarbon line for bass in open or mostly open water? I want to try four pound this summer.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I am not sure where you are located but there is a tackle store in Greenfield that carries a few of his products. I have also seen some at bass pro shop. I'm a big fan of his 1 1/2" grub sliders on a road runner jig. I have caught bluegill, crappie, small mouth, large mouth, walleye, and a small northern on them This is the only plastic bait I use.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I love six pound mono for bass. Would any of you ever use four pound mono for fluorocarbon line for bass in open or mostly open water? I want to try four pound this summer.
    I catch a lot of Smallmouth Bass, Pike and Walleye in the river on 4lb and 6lb. The key is to have your drag set properly. A longer rod helps too. A 5 1/2' UL rod is good for some things but a 7' UL or Light rod gives you a lot more ability to keep tension on the line, wear the fish out and not break off. You also need to patient while playing the fish. If you hook a new state record, tough luck, you still have to take your time. This is where a net can really help. If you are going to break off, lifting him with the line is one place you will do it.

Knowing where to cast in regards to structure, current and wind can help keep you out of snags. You don't use Kowabungagonnacatchmebigfoot hooks. Jigs with wire hooks are good because you can often pull free when the hook straightens out, then use pliers to rebend the hook.

If you want I will take some pics of my ultralight tackle so you can see what I use most of the time.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I catch a lot of Smallmouth Bass, Pike and Walleye in the river on 4lb and 6lb. The key is to have your drag set properly. A longer rod helps too. A 5 1/2' UL rod is good for some things but a 7' UL or Light rod gives you a lot more ability to keep tension on the line, wear the fish out and not break off. You also need to patient while playing the fish. If you hook a new state record, tough luck, you still have to take your time. This is where a net can really help. If you are going to break off, lifting him with the line is one place you will do it.

Knowing where to cast in regards to structure, current and wind can help keep you out of snags. You don't use Kowabungagonnacatchmebigfoot hooks. Jigs with wire hooks are good because you can often pull free when the hook straightens out, then use pliers to rebend the hook.

If you want I will take some pics of my ultralight tackle so you can see what I use most of the time.

That's cool. You use 4lb? I posted on another forum about a show on TV called - Jarrett Edwards Outdoors, and I've seen episodes were he uses six and even four pond line. Some on that fishing forum are shocked he would go after big bass with four pound line.

If you can I would be interested in seeing your ultralight tackle.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Do I use 4lb test? I could easily have half a dozen reels with it on them right now. But the line is only 1 of 4 factors you have to consider. We already know you want to catch Bass.

So There is the Rod, Reel, Line and weight/size of bait or lures you want to use. In general the farther you can cast any rig the better but you need balance. Do you already have a rod rated for 4-6lb test? A reel? Or are you building up a new rig from scratch? IMHO this should be a spinning reel and rod.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Do I use 4lb test? I could easily have half a dozen reels with it on them right now. But the line is only 1 of 4 factors you have to consider. We already know you want to catch Bass.

So There is the Rod, Reel, Line and weight/size of bait or lures you want to use. In general the farther you can cast any rig the better but you need balance. Do you already have a rod rated for 4-6lb test? A reel? Or are you building up a new rig from scratch? IMHO this should be a spinning reel and rod.

I have three nice spinning reels - Shimano Symetre 2500FL rated for 6 to 10 pound mono (have ten pound mono on it now), Shimano Sahara 2500FD rated for 6, 8, and 10 pound mono (have eight pound mono on it now), and
    I just bought for my birthday a new Daiwa Lexa 2000SH. That Lexa is probably the smallest reel and I want to use it exclusively for six pound for four mono mono.

My lightest is a St. Croix Triumph medium rated for six to twelve pound line. I don't really have a light or ultra light rod. Every time I look at light rods I think I will hook a bass and it will break the rod.

Top Bottom