• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You will get more lead in your blood stream from rubbing your sweaty face and eyes on a hot day with dirty hands while shooting. I take lead seriously and have for 20+ years when a friend had elevated levels in his blood, all from shooting, and I never worry about transfer from my line. If you have OCD issues beyond what most fisherman have, you can use brass or tin weights instead. I wonder if you can get a script from a Dr. for it and use FSA dollars to pay for it :).

If you want to freak out about licking your line, look up Beaver Fever, fury beaver not Justin, or Giardiasis. Of my many outdoor adventures hypothermia, a large hole in my leg to the bone and Giardiasis are the most memorable. I avoid all 3 these days and we have every fury creature possible in the river here but I don't obsess with it when fishing. Just wet your finger with lake water and run it on your line. The studies done by Berkley and others assumes the knot is tied correctly. With you that is not happening with dry line. Another reason to use the Palomar knot, easy to tie and easy to SEE if it is tied right. If the knot is wrong, you cut and retie.

When I fish I have a large anglers pal clip on a lanyard around my neck and hemostats clipped to my shirt. I keep smaller clippers in all my primary boxes. The easier it is to deal with your line and fish the more enjoyable it is.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This fellow handles his filleting similar to how I do it. A notable exception is his missing a fair chunk of 'head" meat with his cuts. The idea of using the plastic table as a large cutting board is cool one. Personally, I have a working compost pile that gets the fish carcases, but the freezer opposed to garbage stinking idea is good also.

[video=youtube_share;an9ayPPLzm4]http://youtu.be/an9ayPPLzm4[/video]

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Jesus I would shoot myself if I had to bend over that low to clean fish for an hour or two. The Metro cart I use these days is rib high on me and I toss on a large poly cutting board. I want to upgrade to marine starboard and cut a piece to fit. I also have an aluminum shelf we made up back in 77-78 that I can mount to a wall or posts. I use to just clamp a board on that shelf.

I have a stack of white separator sheets used to protect copper sheets used in printed circuit board mfg that are two different thicknesses. I use them as roll up cutting boards, work surface on one of my shop benches too. I thought about gluing some to the stainless steel sheets I use with the metro cart and make them reversible cutting boards. Maybe on the aluminum shelf too.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    OK, I started fishing in the spring, caught some bass. Caught a lot of bass during the summer. But now we are into fall and cold weather is here or coming. When it comes to bass fishing in Indiana - is the season over or can bass still be caught? I've used (and still do) plastic worms Texas Rigged 99.9% of the time. Will plastic worms still work or do other lures become more effective? I've watched lots of videos on bass fishing but every one of them takes place in one of the bass Heaven states (south) or Minnesota or California. I went fishing on Sunday but the wind was so chilly I only stayed (bank fishing) for about an hour. No bites at all.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    My father and I went fishing yesterday for a few hours. Together we caught 4 bass 6 crappie and 1 bluegill. All the crappie and bass that I caught were on a chartreuse road runner with a 1 inch Charlie brewer slider. The slider was black body with a chartreuse tail. My dad caught most of his on a little white inline spinner bait. He also caught one a gold and black top water Rapala.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    and some people still cant get why I fish exclusively for bass...

Bass are way fun...

...that said, I just had two of the best bluegill sammiches one could even imagine. Fillets simply sauteed in butter until crusted w/salt, pepper and cayenne. Swiss slices, my own tartar sauce and a slice of sweet onion topped...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I never got to go once last year. I bought my license and then it kept raining...then it was too hot....somehow we just never got that boat into the water last summer! This summer will be different! I need bluegill in my freezer!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... This summer will be different! I need bluegill in my freezer!

Sorry darlin'. I'll be thinking about you when I set one of these out here in a minute.

2012-04-19_21-44-05_775.jpg

Good luck this year!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sorry darlin'. I'll be thinking about you when I set one of these out here in a minute.

2012-04-19_21-44-05_775.jpg

Good luck this year!

I don't even mind scaling and cleaning them.....there is just nothing better than good old bluegill! Pan fried.....mmmmm...I am salivating!!!!

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have been fishing all winter!! :)

Very nice! I almost made the trip down there today. I've been out 3 times this month, with the smell of skunk all over me.

What were the flies of choice? Princes? Hares ear? Pheasant tail?

Not sure if you know this or not, but you shouldn't "lip" trout. Their mouths are way more sensitive than bass. Instead, grab them around the belly, and if need be, grab the tail. Also, avoid the gills completely. I'm not trying to be a dick, but they need all the protection they can get.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom