• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    If anybody has a problem with me wanting to use gloves while I hold a catfish, just ignore me if you ever see me fishing or I'll will tell you to go jump in the creek.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If anybody has a problem with me wanting to use gloves while I hold a catfish, just ignore me if you ever see me fishing or I'll will tell you to go jump in the creek.

you are getting a lot of good advice here, yet seem to have thin skin from a little joshing going on.... lighten up Francias. ;)

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    If I catch a cat I usually throw a glove on, lip them and remove the hook. Yeah they might lock down and give a good shake but it's not enough to break a finger (at least with smaller cats...5 lbs is the norm for what I catch). Bigger ones I hold down on their back up next their head and remove the hook the easiest way possible; needlenose or fish hook remover. Here's a pic from last year of one that weighed slightly over 5lbs and measured 25".

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just an FYI but I am sitting here wearing my half price Fila water socks/boat shoes whatever you want to call them! On sale at basspro. I got the pair with toes and no belts, straps or Velcro. These are good in the water or on land. Been wearing them the pat 4 hours. Love them, great traction in and out of the water!

As for fish gloves, I find single gloves in gear all the time. Back in the day my mom would wear one glove so she could bait her own hooks with worms. Nobody minds seeing gloves in the field. It is just easier if you don't need them. Again. Buy a cheap jaws spreader, I never leave home without them!

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    you are getting a lot of good advice here, yet seem to have thin skin from a little joshing going on.... lighten up Francias. ;)

I'll lighten up once I start pulling bass out of the water like Bill Dance and Shaw Grigsby. By the way - the Bill Dance app (free) is nicely done.

I've noticed Shaw Grigsby has gloves on a lot. Does he do this because he's always dealing with fish or does it help him pull slick fishing line when tying knots?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'll lighten up once I start pulling bass out of the water like Bill Dance and Shaw Grigsby. By the way - the Bill Dance app (free) is nicely done.

Tv has a wonderful feature life doesn't... Editing! Remember, the more you do anything, the better at it you'll get. Personally, I catch more fish on nightcrawlers than on artificial bait, I think I've caught 10 fish on lures, and Lord only knows how many on worms. I posted a pic of the biggest bass I've ever caught towards the beginning of this thread, it was caught on a crawler, along with most other nice sized fish I've caught. Find what works for you and pratice, you'll do just fine!

Don't discount the bluegill either, a nice gill on an ultra lite puts up a hell of a fight, some will rival a decent bass...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

I've noticed Shaw Grigsby has gloves on a lot. Does he do this because he's always dealing with fish or does it help him pull slick fishing line when tying knots?
    I have not watched Shaw Grigsby in years BUT if he is wearing gloves it is because he is being paid to wear them. Based on your posts so far this year, it will be awhile before you are the next Bill Dance. I would shoot for being Bill Dances Great Grandson's red headed unwanted step child from his third wife's ex husband's Great Aunt. I am just keepin' it real in here!

In the mean time watch some Bill Dance bloopers or his "Don't do that commercials"

This is you at the end of the first video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlDMx6Tk7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IiVyLIzrjM

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    gloves are fine, although some of those small cats could probably stick through most gloves. I would never put my foot on a fishes head though. And I always keep them off the ground when possible. Got to protect the slime coat.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana

I got a little miffed. I'm a newbie fisherman. Yes, I do want to learn how to hold catfash with my bare hands eventually. But I didn't like the comment about people should not go fishing unless they know how to hold fish. How in the world are people supposed to learn how to hold fish unless they get out and go fishing in the first place? I have books from the library. I have bought a book on bass fishing. I have watched lots of TV shows and youtube videos. On another forum I asked how to hold bass correctly and safely. But when it comes to catfish I think I'm going take my time and not rush into holding them with my bare hands. I see too many comments online about grown men getting stung and now using gloves or towels. When it comes to holding catfish I think I want to learn in person and not by watching youtube videos.

I'm a nature lover and animal lover. I definitely want to return all the fish I catch back into the water and give them a good chance of survival.

And yes, I enjoy reading this forum for fishing advice!

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Do any of you use Berkely Gulp minnows? I bought some this evening. At first I could not tell if they were real or plastic or something in-between. I got home and opened it up. They are really slimy and slick. I'm not kidding, they almost look good to eat or swallow! lol.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    But I didn't like the comment about people should not go fishing unless they know how to hold fish.

It's the internet, ignore the dumb shiz :)

How in the world are people supposed to learn how to hold fish unless they get out and go fishing in the first place?

Exactly ;)

When it comes to holding catfish I think I want to learn in person and not by watching youtube videos.

I've been fishing my whole life and still watch youtube vids, because we don't know it all. I've focused so long on catch bass, I'd forgetten how to catch anything else. BWFrame will tell you I've been asking him the best way to catch and cook bluegill and crappies.

Speaking of which, today was a good day :D

1040726_10151557012378528_654211099_o.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...But I didn't like the comment about people should not go fishing unless they know how to hold fish...

No one said that. Here is a reminder of the comments you apparently were offended by;

Do you want to be the GUY who puts on gloves to handle catfish? What are you gonna do if you fool around and accidentally catch a toothy fish like a walleye or pike?...
    ...I try my best to respect the lives of all critters. Either quick clean kills or handling with as little pain as possible. If I had to use my foot to hold the fish on the ground to take the hook out, I wouldn't fish.

You asked a question, you got an answer. Sorry you didn't like it.:n00b:
    If you'd pay attention as opposed to being "miffed" you'd learn that often the fish doesn't have to be touched or harmed at all.
    http://www.funoutdoors.com/files/Fish Habitat and Handling.pdf
    Catch & Release Best Practices ~ SAFE Angling, Catch & Release ~ Recycled Fish

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Some new fishing tackle. Pair of Crow Wing kayaks. 1080 Pro Angler Plus models. So far we love them. Although designed for small waters like those you find around the Crow Wing lakes in MN, an area I know well, they can handle rapids. I am no kayak expert, I have 40 years in canoes and about 40 minutes in kayaks (one of these) before I went through a class 2 rapids with it. I got wet and filled it with water but me, the kayak and fishing gear all came out right side up. Not bad. Three float trips later and about 8 hours in it, I love it.

232323232%7Ffp54365%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3A48%3A%3A462346nu0mrj

Also, I have a bad shoulder and until it is fixed I can't drag around a ton of weight. At 9'2" long and only 49 pounds these things travel light, load easy and drag like a dream. Also with the flat stern it can stand on end to be stored in a vertical space and it ties down nice and tight in the truck bed. I can fit two of these, gear and a dog box in my F150 Super Crew with the short bed with the tailgate down.

I know this is a fishing thread but a healthy relationship is conducive to doing more fishing. When a canoeist and a kayaker enter into a relationship, it is easier for the canoe guy to learn kayaks then it is for the kayaker to learn canoes and team work. Plus now you can go drift off and fish alone and do what you want.................yes you are in a committed relationship BUT you are in separate boats!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom