• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Level II and Level III matches must be RO'ed by certified people. Clip board and other duties do not have to be but the person on the clip board must be certified and for a Level III match there must be a CRO on the stage.

Level I it is not a requirement for a RO to be certified, and I support passing the timer around a bit but not everyone is ready and should not run shooters. There is more to it that meets the eye, and somethings need to happen. Proper range commands, safety, scoring, and hopefully avoiding mistakes. Many times the attitude is this is just a club match and all the rules do not apply or many things get fudged or let go and this attitude needs to be avoided.

I am not saying rvb is suggesting any of this is acceptable but it can happen when the timer is passed around and some are not ready. We all need to guard against this. The only way to get the experience necessary to be a good RO is to get out there and run shooters, but the person needs some preparation in order to do a good job.

Like a Level 1 Range Officer Class

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Level II and Level III matches must be RO'ed by certified people. Clip board and other duties do not have to be but the person on the clip board must be certified and for a Level III match there must be a CRO on the stage.

Level I it is not a requirement for a RO to be certified, and I support passing the timer around a bit but not everyone is ready and should not run shooters. There is more to it that meets the eye, and somethings need to happen. Proper range commands, safety, scoring, and hopefully avoiding mistakes. Many times the attitude is this is just a club match and all the rules do not apply or many things get fudged or let go and this attitude needs to be avoided.

I am not saying rvb is suggesting any of this is acceptable but it can happen when the timer is passed around and some are not ready. We all need to guard against this. The only way to get the experience necessary to be a good RO is to get out there and run shooters, but the person needs some preparation in order to do a good job.

Certainly that's NOT what I'm saying... I hope that's not what was read from my post.

but I often haer, even from folks w/ a few years of shooting under their belt, "well I would if I were certified..." and I'm just pointing out that you do not need to be cert'd to get involved. What I'm certainly NOT saying is to give the timer to people who don't want it* or are not ready. And I'm not saying the class isn't necessary... I hope to get in to it**. And I can assure you I don't think level I matches should be officiated to any lower standard.

-rvb

*well, hell, I don't want it.
    **Now it's just a decision whether to gamble the registration $ since end of Feb is so close to our due date... might wait to see what the Doc says as we get closer.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Certainly that's NOT what I'm saying... I hope that's not what was read from my post.

but I often haer, even from folks w/ a few years of shooting under their belt, "well I would if I were certified..." and I'm just pointing out that you do not need to be cert'd to get involved. What I'm certainly NOT saying is to give the timer to people who don't want it* or are not ready. And I'm not saying the class isn't necessary... I hope to get in to it**. And I can assure you I don't think level I matches should be officiated to any lower standard.

-rvb

*well, hell, I don't want it.
    **Now it's just a decision whether to gamble the registration $ since end of Feb is so close to our due date... might wait to see what the Doc says as we get closer.

-rvb

No it was coming through your post at all. I simply quoted you in my post in reference to the level II and III portion because those RO's must have completed the course.

I have seen in the past uncertified people ROing at club matches and they should not have been. It is not rocket science and most anyone can learn to do it and do it right, and we need more people who can and will do it. But there is more to doing it and doing it right that most people think.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Sounds like the class is going to be good sized by the way Jake was talking to day. That is great. rvb Im sure that Jake will work something out with you.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    If you are interested in this get them in and paid, I have had 10-12 email rerquest in the last 2 days for app's, we may have to limit class size so don't wait around.

Check out this comment about one of Troy McManus's classes:
    Level 1 USPSA Range Officer Seminar - THR

Jake,
    We need an address to send them to as it is not on the application when I got mine Sunday.
    I have the check and app ready to send but not sure where! :)

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Right now I have received 9 applications for the class, I have had several request to email them an app.

This is a great opportunity to come out and really learn and understand the rules. I highly recommend taking the class for anyone that shoots USPSA. It will help improve your game. By understanding and knowing the rules under which you are competing in is huge.

All you need for the class is
    something to write with and take notes with
    your USPSA gear (gun, holster, mag pouches etc0
    Ear & Eye protection

First day of the class is in the classroom
    Second Day will be some classroom and then all students will
    shoot a stage and run a shooter thru a stage with the trainer of the class
    watching and coaching you.

I took the class 2 years ago and learned more about this sport and the rules and what I could and could not do in those 2 days then I did the whole 3 years I spent shooting matches before then.

Because of class room size we are going to be limited in space and will end up capping this so don't wait around get your application in

email me for info
    Jake Martens

jakemartens@comcast.net

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I read through the first page and I'm unfamiliar with what 'RO' means. I'm new to firearms and this forum and would love to participate in a class where I can learn how to properly shoot a gun. Also, I can take the pictures of our outing. :)

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I read through the first page and I'm unfamiliar with what 'RO' means. I'm new to firearms and this forum and would love to participate in a class where I can learn how to properly shoot a gun. Also, I can take the pictures of our outing. :)

RO = Range Officer. In this case specifically USPSA Range Officer.

It covers the rules and scoring of USPSA matches.

If you get into shooting sports it would be very valuable but not what you need for general shooting instruction.

Check out ACT's Pistol 101, something by Indy Gun Safety or one of the other classes in the Tactics and Training forum they will get you started out in the right direction.

And welcome to the world of shooting!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    A Level 1 Range Officer Seminar will be held on Feburary 19th-20th at the club house at the Atlanta Conservation Club. Atlanta Conservation Club
    Now it's just a decision whether to gamble the registration $ since end of Feb is so close to our due date... might wait to see what the Doc says as we get closer.
    Right now I have received 9 applications for the class, ... Because of class room size we are going to be limited in space and will end up capping this so don't wait around get your application in

How many openings do you have left? I'm still iffy on those dates. I'm willing to chance loosing the course fee but I don't want to cause someone else who can attend for sure to miss out, so I'm going to wait till the last minute to sign up.
    When is the cutoff date to signup?

-rvb

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township

I couldn't reply to the PM since I'm still a nooby. LoL. But the message was received and I appreciate all of the information you have given me.

I will take a class with ACT and once I've graduated to a member of USPSA, I will come and see you guys for the RO instruction. Thank you all for your responses and patience when dealing with a noob such as myself.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Top Bottom