• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I shop there for just about everything, especially dairy. Eggs, half and half, cheese. As far as produce, I've had good luck with vegetables, but not so much with fruit.

Love their thick-cut bacon.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You have that right. Wife bought produce from a local farm market and the stuff was bad in a few days and the things from Aldi's last almost two weeks and a whole lot cheaper.

The unfortunate truth is that buying from a farm market doesn't mean that the produce was freshly harvested from a local farm. It can just as easily be the same palletized produce from California or wherever that a conventional distributor did not sell to a conventional customer, and 'Farmer Bill' hauled away their surplus to sell while wearing his straw hat.

I shopped there a lot when I lived in Plainfield, especially before Walmart had groceries. One of the nicer things about is is that rapid rotation appears to be part of the business model, featuring fresh goods and things like breads that are not loaded with preservatives, which keeps costs down if you can move the stuff.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    We buy a lot of canned and dry goods there.

This. Plus their milk and egg prices are usually a lot less than Krogers too.

Checkout times can vary from 2 minutes to 15 - depending on when you go and how many people are shopping. Since they run so lean, they don't have 10 registers to open at "peak" times. Kind of a PITA but it's the price you pay for the cheap prices I guess.

They're not our usual place to go, but I'll stock up on canned good, pasta etc a few times a month and stock up the basement storage.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Their products never indicate where they came from. I stay away from any seafood from Asia and IIRC they don't show origin on seafood either. They have decent cheap wine.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    They used to have a cheap fruity wine that came in apple and peach and cost $2.99. Man, that stuff was good. I'm not a wine person (and obviously this was closer to Kool-Aid than wine anyway). I've never tried their beer.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    we buy all of our meats from Marsh Supermarket and Dave's Meat Market in Greenfield. in the summertime our produce comes from the myriad sources locally. the rest of the year and for every other grocery item it all comes from Aldi.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Yall would be surprised to know that alot of products that you buy at Aldi are actually made at the same facilities that the name brand products are made. Literally all they do is slap a different label on it. Alot of your produce comes from exactly the same distribution points too. Having been to a myriad of these facilities and farms over the years as a truck driver, that has been my observation. Aldi is ok with me.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    We hit the one in Huntington a lot, really like it. Their chicken and pork chops is as good as any. Save a lot of money thats for sure. Their corn and green beans better than any name brand for way lower price. Always pretty clean and fast checkout. I remember when everyone had pineapple for like 4.99 and aldis had them for like 1.79 or something, man they were good too….I don't now how they do it on some stuff.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I shop there weekly and have for years. Love it. They sell lactose free mill cheaper than walmart or kroger. I always end up getting more for my money. For such a small store they almost always have everything I need.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yall would be surprised to know that alot of products that you buy at Aldi are actually made at the same facilities that the name brand products are made. Literally all they do is slap a different label on it. Alot of your produce comes from exactly the same distribution points too. Having been to a myriad of these facilities and farms over the years as a truck driver, that has been my observation. Aldi is ok with me.

This is said a lot and not entirely true. There are many large manufacturers who also produce private label products but they're rarely same recipe. Some are close but many aren't.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    The gluten free items are nice and they have a very nice selection of them. It is nice to save some cash on GF bread. Kroger is $5 per loaf and Aldi usually marks it down $2 and turns out to be $1.99 per loaf. The GF pasta is good too. I will not be getting the ground beef or bacon from them again. Way too much water added for me but the whole muscle meats are good to go. Patience is often needed in the check out line but that is to be expected when there are only 2-3 employees per shift and saving money is worth the minimal line wait.

Top Bottom