- State level Voter ID
    - Election DAY, not election season
    - ONLY votes cast by the time the Polls close count
    - Votes to be counted promptly after the Polls close
    - Early voting in person only in the week before Election Day
    - No mail in voting
    - No Drop Boxes
    - No ballot harvesting
    - Absentee Voting limited to those physically unable to come to the Polling place
    What about deployed military?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It does address the after. Worth the read IMO.
    I do want to understand your viewpoint better but I ain't gonna dedicate my life to it ....so if you give me the best one book to read I will order it :)

Otherwise I am still trying to do what I like. Kinda like Mel Gibson in the Patriot. Other than taxing me to death, it's all not having a real effect on my life and I try to keep it that way. I lived More of my life than I have left and insulating form outside interference is probably my prime objective.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For Starters here's a few,
    - State level Voter ID
    - Election DAY, not election season
    - ONLY votes cast by the time the Polls close count
    - Votes to be counted promptly after the Polls close
    - Early voting in person only in the week before Election Day
    - No mail in voting
    - No Drop Boxes
    - No ballot harvesting
    - Absentee Voting limited to those physically unable to come to the Polling place
    Might want to add in X number of polling places to X number of registered voters.

Otherwise only votes before polls close can be manipulated by location.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The first thing we need to understand is that no matter what voting system you create: #1) There will always be ways to cheat,and #2) There will be very upset people, some with a very good reason to be upset!

To my thinking we need to agree on why we want/allow/desire/support voting at all. I believe we should want all of the people allowed to vote who want to vote to have a very great opportunity to vote!

So, who should vote? I would start with all competent, adult, citizens who are not currently incarcerated.

Already a problem if you agree with competent. Who decides who is competent? I think it would be a good starting point to presume competence unless challenged.

Why adult? Hopefully mature(?) enough to appreciate the repercussions of the vote.

Why citizens only? Because they are the most affected to good or ill by the choices about to be made.

Why not incarcerated? They are in the process of being punished and are currently having certain rights/privileges oppressed. Once out of incarceration in my opinion all debts to society have been paid and therefore all rights/privileges should be restored.

To reduce one form of cheating you must appear in person with photo ID to prove that you meet the above criteria. However, folks could be wrongfully stopped from voting if ID was lost through no fault of their own. Stolen. Fire. Tornado. Russian invasion. So some corrective system in place to allow voting IF no ID.

What about in person? Appendicitis? In hospital, cannot appear in person. Car accident. Cannot appear in person. There should be some system in place to allow for absence.

One could argue that paper ballots are a deterrent to fraud. However, there was much corruption even with paper ballots. It has been often said that it doesn't matter who votes, but who counts the votes. People can be bribed, threatened, blackmailed. No system is without some risk. So how to minimize...? See Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall.

Regarding the opportunity to vote. Easy. Make election day a national holiday. No worker who's work is critical may work more than six (6) hours. However, some people such as LE, doctors, nurses, dentists could get caught at the right time and go over this, thus being disenfranchised. How to correct?

What about retirees who live in one state for part of a season and another state in another season? Or college students who go out of state? Each may have the opportunity to cheat and vote in two (2) states? Force states to share voting data with names and DoB. If there is overlap than further investigation. However, some people could get swept up in overlaps. There are two (2) of ME in the same city. I have met my other self. Thank goodness we don't have the same birthday, but some Smiths might...

I am certain there are many nuances I've overlooked, but fixing a problem isn't as easy as it might sound. And by changing the system other unforeseen problems WILL arise. Then those problems become the soapbox of someone to rage against, not necessarily without reason.

An important question to answer is this: what percentage of error can you tolerate and STILL be content? .25%? .5%? 1%? Zero (0) percent is simply unattainable, so expecting that is just going to lead to a very unhappy life. Voting, like life, isn't perfect. Deal with it. That said, we should reduce the imperfections to as low as we can, and hopefully accept that it isn't perfect. Then move on.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom