who has a camper, motor home or pop up trailer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Most RVs have fresh water tanks, generators and large propane tanks have DC wiring throughout - heck you can get solar panels and almost never need a generator.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm back....(I had parent and in-law crisises at the same time) Since some of you didn't follow instructions:rolleyes:, I'll post on the thread.

How does your "camper" fit in you emergency plans?

I have thought about that.

The problem I have with driving my motorhome in a SHTF scenario, it does create a large, desirable target for gangs, thugs, or just a group of people who want it for themselves. Even on side roads it would still attract un-wanted attention.

I am thinking I would rather use my F-350 or Yukon to get out of town as both are faster, smaller and able to get off-road.

If you leave in enough time, before the stupid people realize what is going on, a RV is a way to go.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with you Super Bee. My motorhome is just too big to be a functional shtf vehicle. I couldnt get it off the road enough to not be noticed and anyone needing food or supplies it would be an easy target. id hate to do it but id just have to let it sit and stay behind in that situation.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    RV

Agreed, a large RV or Pull behind is not the best vehicle for a SHTF scenario...

BUT, if sufficient time is available, the RV can be moved to a safer location (I.E. farm, woods, etc) before the trouble starts. With a full water tank, propane tank and fuel tank, it would make a great temporary hide out. Mine is always ready to roll. I don't always keep the water tank full (water quality, weight and freezing issues), but the fuel and propane tanks are always topped off. With charged batteries and an operational generator, you can be self-sufficient for quite a while.

My RV stays loaded with the minor stuff needed when going camping, bedding, dishes, clothes, campfire kit, chairs, etc. I have access to a few locations within a two-hour drive that it can be moved to. We have made a few wet runs to different locations and ironed out some of the bugs.

Food, water, firearms and other supplies can be loaded prior to the move or taken when you bug out.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Agreed, a large RV or Pull behind is not the best vehicle for a SHTF scenario...

Fleetwood and a couple other manufactures make a "Off Road" pop up ( a pop up which sits up higher and oversize tires). Coleman even has a toy hauler version of this model, might be nice to strap a four wheeler this model. Something like this may be good for a SHTF scenario. I do not have any of these in stock, but may hang onto one if I do happen to get one, just in case.

BUT, if sufficient time is available, the RV can be moved to a safer location (I.E. farm, woods, etc) before the trouble starts. With a full water tank, propane tank and fuel tank, it would make a great temporary hide out. Mine is always ready to roll. I don't always keep the water tank full (water quality, weight and freezing issues), but the fuel and propane tanks are always topped off. With charged batteries and an operational generator, you can be self-sufficient for quite a while.

My RV stays loaded with the minor stuff needed when going camping, bedding, dishes, clothes, campfire kit, chairs, etc. I have access to a few locations within a two-hour drive that it can be moved to. We have made a few wet runs to different locations and ironed out some of the bugs.

Food, water, firearms and other supplies can be loaded prior to the move or taken when you bug out.

Enough time is the key to get that big thing going, otherwise you are a big target going down the road.

We also keep ours partially loaded like you. Then, all you need to do is grab the family, fuel and food.

BOAA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RV

I have a 35' 5th-wheel, brother has a 30' A Class pusher.

Last year, we both purchased used "mobile construction offices" like they use on large construction sites. Both were already wired for 110 & 24, we added the generators and such. Works well for the BOL.

We parked/set up both on our property way out in BFE.

Very secluded - been hunting there for years so we know the terain very well.

Top Bottom