• ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    An Aimpoint Pro of course!

Never touched an Aimpoint before, but I like it already. This thing is built like a tank. Nice clear glass. I really like the torque-limiting screw thingy...makes it nice and easy to know you have enough. And a 3 year continuous battery? Forgetaboutit. Now to find time to hit the range.

2012-03-08154505.jpg

2012-03-08154450.jpg

2012-03-08154606.jpg

2012-03-08154536.jpg

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've really been thinking about one of these for my sbr (in progress). I just can't decide if a vortex strikefire will suit me well enough for the lower price. Do you have any expeirience with the strikefire that you could compare it too? The battery thing is what's really making me lean toward the aimpoint though.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i dont have a lot of experience with the vortex. a friend of mine had one on his piston AR and was having trouble with it keeping zero.

I do own a PA Aimpoint clone and while it has held zero during my range trips, I can tell just from holding the two that the Aimpoint is made of much tougher stuff. And having a 3 year battery life is hard to beat.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    It's fine. I do really like the torque bolt. You just tighten it until it slips and it's good to go.

I'm just not sure I could deal with that big bolt sticking out the side. That's my only hold up with this RDS. I just don't like extra buttons and knobs sticking off the sides of my guns. Is not quite as bad as the pictures make it look?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I've really been thinking about one of these for my sbr (in progress). I just can't decide if a vortex strikefire will suit me well enough for the lower price. Do you have any expeirience with the strikefire that you could compare it too? The battery thing is what's really making me lean toward the aimpoint though.

I have both.

If the gun is a range plinker the Strikefire will work just fine, but if your building a SHTF AR, go with the Aimpoint.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm just not sure I could deal with that big bolt sticking out the side. That's my only hold up with this RDS. I just don't like extra buttons and knobs sticking off the sides of my guns. Is not quite as bad as the pictures make it look?

i think my pics make it worse than it is, but it is a knob that sticks out...definitely not stream lined like a LaRue QD mount. I can deal with it; at least for now. :)

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    i think my pics make it worse than it is, but it is a knob that sticks out...definitely not stream lined like a LaRue QD mount. I can deal with it; at least for now. :)

Thanks for the reply! I want to check one of these out. I think I can re-engineer that knob and make it smaller. But then again, I like to tinker with things. :D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Thanks for the reply! I want to check one of these out. I think I can re-engineer that know and make it smaller. But then again, I like to tinker with things. :D

np. I'm not smart enough to attempt something like that. I will though that the knob doesnt seem like it would interfere with anything.

you could always replace it with a LaRue mount, but that kinda defeats the point of buying the PRO.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont have a lot of experience with the vortex. a friend of mine had one on his piston AR and was having trouble with it keeping zero.

I do own a PA Aimpoint clone and while it has held zero during my range trips, I can tell just from holding the two that the Aimpoint is made of much tougher stuff. And having a 3 year battery life is hard to beat.

wich one does your friend have? if its not holding zero send it back. vortex will make it right

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

vortex defintally does not have the battery life of a aimpoint. but the strikefire has 4700 hours on minimum power and the sparc has 3400 on minimum, so its not like they run down quick. on my demos i turn them on at the beginning of a show on friday, they turn off automatically over night, and i turn them on and leave them all all day each day. they have been threw 3 shows and are not showing any sign of letting down.

but to answer your questions its not really fair to compare a 170 dollar red dot to a aimpoint. the aimpoint will win every time

Top Bottom