• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I am wanting to get a 1911 for a shooting gun and not a carry. Wanting to get someting that I can build on if choose to fine tune but also something that can shoot as is. Was looking RRA and Springfield but not set on anything yet. What would you get? Why? anything I should make sure whatever I get has?

And then once you help me out with which one where should i go look for it. Missed a RRA at the show from PSS when i went back to a different table to look at something else.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I am really happy with my Rock Island Armory 1911a1. It comes with many of the common upgrades and for the price (<$450) it seems hard to beat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Starter gun in 1911 at a budget price, RIA or Taurus.

Springfield Armory is higher priced but tough to beat for value.

On the other hand, I'd take a serious look at the ParaUSA P14 or its lower priced brother the BigHawg. Its a double stack 45, all the traditional 1911 controls, with almost twice the capacity and is the basis for many competition guns so if you want to build it up it would be a great option. Plus, it will likely go up in value if there is another AWB because of the ability to hold more than 10 rounds.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I am partial to my Kimbers, all of mine are series I or series II w/ internal extractors. I know that Kimber has had their issues...... but I have had good results w/ them.

No matter what brand, for just range duty I would suggest staying with the 5" and also using Wilson Combat magazines.... this also applies well to a carry piece also!!!

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I would give a look at the STI Spartan. :twocents:

If you can find one, this is a great way to go. Although it shares some parts with other entry level 1911s, STI does the fitting and adds some of there parts...a great value.

I am also a fan of Colts for a good first 1911 if you think you might add to them later on. I noticed you said RRA in the original post. I don't know if you meant RIA (Rock Island) or if you meant RRA (Rock River). Rock Island is a good entry level 1911. Rock River has suspended making 1911s and when they did, they were in the semi-custom level, on the spend side (around 2,000) and a heck of a nice gun.

The recommendation really depends on your budget as there are some good options at each price point.

s346k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    i have a s&w 1911 sc commander. i am unaware of its aftermarket, but i am in love with the weapon itself. nice gun, but the sc/pd smiths are a little pricey, imo.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    New 1911

If it dont say Colt its just a copy
    seriously tho there are a lot of fine 1911s out there today
    I own Colts ,Springfeilds, Kimber and I have been happy with them all but there is something special about a Colt

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Also worth a look is the Auto Ordnance/Thompson 1911A1. Good solid WWII reproduction and reasonably priced. Also, Khar is now partnered with Auto Ord.

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Well I have a Kimber, but I really like the Springfield models, I think I am going to order on real soon, they are very nice looking guns and very well priced!!!!! .......R

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    If it dont say Colt its just a copy
    seriously tho there are a lot of fine 1911s out there today
    I own Colts ,Springfeilds, Kimber and I have been happy with them all but there is something special about a Colt

There is something special about the pony!!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have aSpringfield and have been happy with it. I have to admit though that I am getting the urge for a Colt. It would go well with the Colt AR.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have had a Colt, Springfeilds, Kimbers, and a Rock Island. I currently own a Springfeild Loaded Micro Compact and a Kimber fullsize. All have there goods and bads I suppose. If I was to choose again for my first 1911 on a budget I would look for a used Springfeild Milspec, used base line Kimber or a new Taurus.
    Matt

Top Bottom