• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Needing another 1911-22LR pistol. Had my mind made up on the Browning 1911-22lr. Then get to Gander Mountain tonite (only ones who had in stock) to buy...and find out that the pistol they had was the "compact" version of the Browning 1911-22.

Yes, I know the Browning 1911-22 is smaller than the typical 1911-22lr, but this model had a much shorter slide. Almost felt like my Ruger SR22. So, wanting to not leave emptyhanded, I began again to contemplate the Umarex/Colt 1911-22 and the Sig Sauer 1911-22 (yes I know its made by GSG); and was stuck on what to buy.

Need firsthand input on which to go with...Already have the GSG 1911-22, and have experienced a love hate relationship thus far.
    Pros: looks great, good weight, solid feel, best quality magazines IMO, well priced for what you get.
    Cons: not very accurate out of box, jamming issues, does not like to shoot dirty (at all), and poor finish(wears off slide constantly). I was going to list it as being finicky ammowise, but based on this video I saw the other night, it appears the jamming issue may be due to the such poor paint flaking off...rather than ammo. I typically shoot CCI Minimag fyi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNGNSG-zdCI

Ive had similar ftf issues with my Umarex/Colt M4, GSG5SD, and HK416D (albeit the HK much less than other two). Therefore, I understand that its all a tradeoff one must make for the current products on the market. Look vs function, quality vs cost. However, I am not a gunsmith and just want to be able to enjoy shooting tons of cheap ammo with my family....without having to explain why the gun jammed (again), or why I didnt bring that gun out today (needs cleaned), etc. Dont mind a little more, just want them to work as they should.

Try to keep the comments on topic...not on why the Ruger Mark iii, Colt 22 Conversion, Walther, Sig Mosquito, Chippa, (and etc) are a better choice...Unless Ive missed another model 1911-22, Im left with only three choices. Im almost set on the Browning, and likely would have not even started this thread had GMtn had the correct one in stock....However, its cost is significantly higher than the rest...and the mags feel very flimsy (IMO)...To be honest, I dont mind the cost as long as it has the same quality as what Browning is typically known for. This is written under the premise that brand/model name is actually the manufacturer...unlike the Colt (I mean Umarex), Sig (Uh GSG), etc. And if Im just buying the same issues as the GSG, I should just save the $, and get the SIG. Same feel, weight, different look (desert tan), and uses the same mags (per the GMtn employee)...Not sure about the mags...afterall, he thought the Colt 1911-22 was made by Colt, the Sig was made by Sig, and that the Browning only came in one model (until he saw their website).

When writing this, I didnt want to restate the actual model numbers of the 3 pistols over and over. However, if you dont know which three Im referring to in this thread...you probably shouldnt be replying anyway:).

Helpful information much appreciated. :ingo:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've owned both the GSG & the Sig (GSG) & IMO the Sig has a better fit / finished feel than the GSG. Things that I'd want "fixed" with the GSG would be non-issues with the Sig. i.e. - Clunky trigger, Pos Grip Safety clunky, finish wear, etc... Wish I'd have spent the extra $75-100 on the Sig to start!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've had great luck with my GSG. I didn't realize that the SIG 1911-22 was anything other than a rebranded GSG. I guess I'll have to look at one more closely to see if there are any actual differences. I agree with the poster above that called out the grip safety on the GSG. Don't get me wrong, it works - but without the "memory bump" that is pretty much standard on all beavertail safeties these days, I do find that the GSG version occasionally prevents the gun from firing when I intend it to. On the other hand, it happens so infrequently that I haven't bothered to take the obvious step of replacing it with a different one, or even JB welding a bump at the bottom of the existing one. The finish is a bit cheap, and it has started to wear at the front of the slide where the dust cover can touch it while cycling. Again, to me not a big deal. Someday I may Cerakote it and be done with it. I'll have to watch the posted video though; I haven't noticed any flaking finish impeding the cycling on my gun. The .22 ammo is pretty dirty. It certainly builds up after shooting a Federal 550 bulk pack. I could see how eventually that would cause problems with it. I pretty much just flush the chamber area with jetted CLP after every 550 pack, and then every couple of them I'll tear it down and clean it out. That seems to work for me. I actually consider the accuracy to be pretty good. It's a pinned barrel, and I'd say that 2"-3" groups at 15 yards is about normal for mine just shooting freehand. That's not match accuracy by any means, but it is certainly acceptable in my mind for a <$300 plinker/trainer. Works really nicely with a suppressor, too. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have had good enough luck with mine that I haven't bothered to try any of the other variants, so I don't know how they compare to the GSG, other than that the Browning is not full scale, and the Chiappa is almost universally panned.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shoot the snot out of my GSG 1911, it runs great! A friend of mine had the Sig version and I couldn't tell any difference between it and my GSG besides the name on it and the stocks. Anyways my GSG eats everything, cheap bulk pack, CCI, I love it!

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Ill have to research that RIA xt-22, didnt know about that one....perhaps that should be added to the list. Still havent heard from many Browning 22 owners...probably has something to do with the price. I liked the feel of the full size model, as I thought it would fit my sons hands better. He has a hard time getting to the safety and hammer on the GSG.

If anyone has a source thats done an actual review including these 1911-22s; that would be fantastic. Something including the GSG, Sigsg, UmColt, Browning...and RIA:).

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    got gsg for the boy for christmas, was going to get the sig but gsg makes the sig! just saved myself some dough to use on ammo instead of paying for the sig name. It eats anything, no issues.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Ill have to research that RIA xt-22, didnt know about that one....perhaps that should be added to the list. Still havent heard from many Browning 22 owners...probably has something to do with the price. I liked the feel of the full size model, as I thought it would fit my sons hands better. He has a hard time getting to the safety and hammer on the GSG.

If anyone has a source thats done an actual review including these 1911-22s; that would be fantastic. Something including the GSG, Sigsg, UmColt, Browning...and RIA:).

I could be mistaken, but I think RIA said they tried to use standard 1911 parts in there wherever possible.

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I have the GSG-1911 and for the most part, I love it. I do have an issue with the slide finish. Seems to wear on all sharp edges, no mater how carefully you handle the gun. I guess I'm old school and remember the days before paint was an aceptable finish for a gun.

I would recommend that right out of the box, polish the slide rails, removing all paint there. I also polished the feed ramp and the pistol operates flawlesly with any ammo.

Top Bottom