• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is a list but I have no idea how it works. If I had to guess, once my "turn" comes up I'd have 3 days to sell my house, buy a new one out of county and move or lose my "turn".

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Lol, damn. Seriously 3 days or did you just make that number up? I know you said if you had to guess, but that guess has to be for a reason.

It seems like if you are unhappy where you are living (not saying you don't absolutely love your house), you could find out the line, find out where you are in line and plan accordingly by talking to others in front of you ready to retire or move.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just went by Walmart and Kroger and no luck. Kroger had nothing and WM had one huge packer for $53 that wouldn't fit into my BGE and another with the vacuum seal broken. I can't remember if Costco carries them but I won't go near that place on a weekend any more. You'd think they were selling rock star sex lives for $.50 or something.

I usually buy mine at Walmart. I take the huge packer and cut off the flat and trim it for smoking and then trim and grind the cap/point for burgers. It makes great burgers.
    If you know a member, give SAMs club a ring. Theirs are usually choice and are my preferred brisket. Walmarts are usually select and are harder to get to come out how I want the.

There is that. But I cheat. I smoke, then wrap in foil and oven. But I don't have a BGE. Or if I really really want to cheat, crock pot. But then I feel dirty. Almost midget stripper dirty.

Good for you, flashpuppy. Not everyone wants to sell their house, find a house with land, buy cows, maintain cows, slaughter cows and then process cows for a brisket.

I'm sure philo appreciates the input though.

Hey they answered the title. I would like to but my wife won't let me. Something about having a young child and wanting friends within walking distance. I tell her isn't that why God created cars? And the slaughter and process, everyone that wants brisket wants that. It's just if you want to do it yourself, and raising your own beef doesn't mean you have to do those two yourself.

Phylo you can look in my freezer, I just put two smaller, trimmed, choice briskets in there. But it's probably not worth the drive for you. But if you're desperate send me a message. ETA It's Monticello/Lafayette area.....

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    costco is the best place for them. Can get prime for cheaper than choice at another store.
    since when has costco sold prime brisket?

I've never seen whole briskets at Costco or Sams, just flats.
    whole packers are in the back, you have to ask which sucks, I usually have them bring out 3 or 4 so I can decide which one.

I was considering trying to smoke just a flat this time around to see how it goes.
    smaller flats are less forgiving but if you have brisket experience you can cook them just as good, however no burnt ends

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    We go to Lengerich Meats Inc. ? Butcher Shop | Zanesville, IN

We received a side of beef from them for our anniversary, and it is absolutely the bestest meat I've ever had...and I used to work in a meat shop. It's about a 20 minute drive for us though, and I believe they slaughter on one side, and process on the other.
    Just went by Walmart and Kroger and no luck. Kroger had nothing and WM had one huge packer for $53 that wouldn't fit into my BGE and another with the vacuum seal broken. I can't remember if Costco carries them but I won't go near that place on a weekend any more. You'd think they were selling rock star sex lives for $.50 or something.

Sooo, where should I look? I'd really prefer someplace on or near the NE side of Indy. I was hoping to smoke one tomorrow but that isn't looking likely at this point.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was considering trying to smoke just a flat this time around to see how it goes.

So you're not venturing out of the city into the wilds of Monticello to pick one up? And for the Walmart ones being select and not choice, look at why the brisket became popular. It is a tough, nasty chuck of meat that had to be made edible. When done right select is just great, hell even standard or commercial is good. Although you probably won't ind that in your local market.

And if it's the same as my local Wallyworld, it's not a flat. It's the whole brisket which is the flat, point/cap, and all the attendant fat. A judicious use of knife will render a good to go for smoking brisket, a good bit of beef to grind, and a chunk of fat to do with as you will.

Top Bottom