• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ended up running over to the Jeep dealership to check out the new Gladiator. Happened to be OC. No one cares.

Waiting for the non-loaded Gladiators to hit the lots. $54K is a bit steep.

I couldn't drive a vehicle called, "Gladiator." Too much communal bathing and quartering with other dudes. I've seen "Spartacus." I know what happens!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Got the "So... what do you do?" question from another Rickers employee.

Told him IT, he said he always assumed some sort of "special agent" or something. That's the second time I've gotten that from there, but I'm in there nearly every day.

OC while wearing something professional you'll get that assumption.

The few times I've OCd in a polo and khakis (and a bald fade haircut) I've received the "Be careful out there" as I leave a gas station. Apparently the only guys OCing while neatly dressed are professionals on the clock? :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OC while wearing something professional you'll get that assumption.

The few times I've OCd in a polo and khakis (and a bald fade haircut) I've received the "Be careful out there" as I leave a gas station. Apparently the only guys OCing while neatly dressed are professionals on the clock? :dunno:

Many of us have been mistaken for cops solely for open carry, but I was actually mistaken for a truck driver due to my open carry once. I was paying for my soda at a convenience store and the clerk asked me if I was a trucker. When I asked why, he said he'd heard a lot of truckers were starting to carry in his area. "Starting"?? Haha!

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Open carried on Saturday at a UWSP ROTC 8 mile Ruck March fund raiser in Stevens Point, Wi. Probably the second most liberal place in the state, after Madison. The race is 8 miles with a 35# pack, but I just walk it with a +\- 3.5 pound backpack. Some water and various stuff.

Got asked a few few times if I was a Police Officer, or what kind of service dog. Neither, merely a family pet and a guy who believes he is responsible for his own safety. Onissues and no mention of a firearm. Dog was a big hit with the female cadets, which didn’t make me too upset.

When I first get there I have her in a red “Do Not Pet” vest as sometimes she does not like crowds of people charging up on her. Then, right before the walk I take it off and I walking and talking to people when I get back I let people pet her. She’s a sweetheart, but still a German Shepherd.

Attachments

• 72046AF5-0443-4AE8-BE22-DC6ADECA33A9.jpg
      72046AF5-0443-4AE8-BE22-DC6ADECA33A9.jpg
      135.1 KB · Views: 23
    • 721FC6CF-1BA4-4615-9AE3-7F092EBE1EA8.jpg
      721FC6CF-1BA4-4615-9AE3-7F092EBE1EA8.jpg
      179.4 KB · Views: 19

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Walked with this guy for a mile, he was dying from the heat. Said his first year somebody called the cops on him. They mentioned him and his “gun” during the intel portion and said don’t worry, it’s a toy. Not sure if that is funny or sad......I told him to bring a real gun next year, but doubt he wants to tote the extra weight.

Portions of thr Ruck went thru Sculture Park with is a wooded area with different abstract things, made by students I think. It was vandalized and tagged either Friday night or Saturday morning. Sad. On FB at Reeders Ruck if you care to see more.

No mention of my “gun”, a Sig 226 SAO. I did have a vest on that covered it all but the bottom two inches of exposed Harrell, but ditched that in the first mile, and when I was allowing petting at the end. 8 miles, 2:10:xx but last two years was 1:57:xx. I talked to a few people that didn’t realize I was in a timed event for at least 15 minutes. No prizes unless you carry the 35#s, winner usually under an hour.

Attachments

• 94E1A60B-88B3-410F-AEE2-4EDBB88D6827.jpeg
      94E1A60B-88B3-410F-AEE2-4EDBB88D6827.jpeg
      169.7 KB · Views: 14
    • 509D8032-0B37-4028-9606-BDDCF70574D8.jpg
      509D8032-0B37-4028-9606-BDDCF70574D8.jpg
      123.2 KB · Views: 8

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Walked with this guy for a mile, he was dying from the heat. Said his first year somebody called the cops on him. They mentioned him and his “gun” during the intel portion and said don’t worry, it’s a toy. Not sure if that is funny or sad......I told him to bring a real gun next year, but doubt he wants to tote the extra weight.

Portions of thr Ruck went thru Sculture Park with is a wooded area with different abstract things, made by students I think. It was vandalized and tagged either Friday night or Saturday morning. Sad. On FB at Reeders Ruck if you care to see more.

No mention of my “gun”, a Sig 226 SAO. I did have a vest on that covered it all but the bottom two inches of exposed Harrell, but ditched that in the first mile, and when I was allowing petting at the end. 8 miles, 2:10:xx but last two years was 1:57:xx. I talked to a few people that didn’t realize I was in a timed event for at least 15 minutes. No prizes unless you carry the 35#s, winner usually under an hour.

Welcome to INGO!

1. Given your choice of firearm, you are clearly an erudite and perceptive individual.
    2. What does the dog carry and what kind of holster does she use?
    3. Eight miles with a 35# pack is impressive. I know that's a normal thing for a few on INGO, but for a lot of us, it's a noteworthy accomplishment even without a time limit.
    4. Does the dog need water and treats along the way (I know almost nothing about animals)?
    5. Does the 35# include water you are carrying, and does your pack still have to weigh 35# at the end?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Welcome to INGO!

1. Given your choice of firearm, you are clearly an erudite and perceptive individual.
    3. Eight miles with a 35# pack is impressive. I know that's a normal thing for a few on INGO, but for a lot of us, it's a noteworthy accomplishment even without a time limit.
    4. Does the dog need water and treats along the way (I know almost nothing about animals)?
    5. Does the 35# include water you are carrying, and does your pack still have to weigh 35# at the end?

As if you or I could walk 8 miles.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Welcome to INGO!

Thanks, I’ve been here a while but just figured out my password. Plus, I’m from Wisconsin tho born in Indiana, so I don’t want to overwhelm the site with non relevant stuff.

That’s a lot of questions I’ll do my best!

1. Thanks!!! I think.

2. Dog doesn’t carry anything once the vest comes off. I use an ElPaso Saddlery belt slide, mostly. While this is a non active retention holster, iffy for open carry maybe, with the dog I’m not too worried about being bum rushed by unfriendlies. It has not been an issue, but if someone thinks it’s a bad idea, I’m happy to let you. It does hold tight to my side and one would have to be digging into my love handles to get it out of there. The Beavertail on the SAO is a GREAT weight gain inhibitor.

3. If you want to compete in the main event, the Ruck, you have to carry the 35#s. !!!! I DO NOT!!!!
    I’m almost 61, and while there might be some 60 year olds that can run 8 miles in an hour while toting 35 pounds, I’m not one of them. My pack had two bottles of water, the dog vest, my vest, and an extra pair of shoes and socks. It “might” have weighed 8-10 pounds at most.

You actually have four options.
    1. 8 mile ruck with weight, for a trophy.
    2. 8 mile walk, with or without weight.
    3. 4 mile race, no weight, for trophy
    4. 4 mile walk

I’m a truck driver and trying to not be a typical very overweight one, so my dog and I walk 3-4 miles a couple of times a week. My personal best is 72 miles in one week, when I was running California every other week. I was about 55 years old, and in a little better shape. So, eight miles is a bit of a stretch but you kinda get along different people and talk so it’s not too bad. She was an energetic pup, that was 5 miles morning and evening. Not an energetic walk, just kind of a meander while chasing chipmunks and squirrels on a hiking trail. She probably did twice that.

4. They have water stops at 2 and 4 miles, and you hit 2 at the 6 mile mark also,on the way back. This is my third year doing it, last year was cold. They have dog dishes at each one and she was thirsty. She’s 5, after the hour ride home she was ready to go again. I took a nap. I had a pretty full bag of Charlie Bears, 3 calories apiece. I give those to her every couple of minutes on off leash heal. At the end the girl cadets finished them off feeding her. I normally wouldn’t give her that many, but.....they were enjoying themselves.

5. They weigh your Ruck at the beginning and the end and if it’s under 35 you’re disqualified. So, you could have water, bricks, gold bullion, whatever. Last year a guy even had his kid in his pack! You just need to start out with more than 35 and not drink up the winning weight! One guy said he was training for a Grand Canyon hike and said he had 50 pounds, and another guy said his was closer to 45. Out of 50 participants, I’d said 35 or so carried the weight. Mostly you Military/ex military studs. It’s fun and since my third time people started to recognize me and talked to me a little more. I went there planning to do the 4 mile walk, but the guy at the 2 mile check Point said no one had turned around yet, and I wasn’t about to be the first!

Hope that answeres your questions, are we going to have an Indiana contingent of Rucker’s next year?????

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hope that answeres your questions, are we going to have an Indiana ontingent of Rucker’s next year?????

Sounds like a good time and you clearly lead a healthy lifestyle!

I can't speak for anyone else, but the probability of my attendance is < 0.0001!

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    If you’re a Sig aficionado (I don’t know what erudite means?) you might enjoy these pictures. The one and only, as far as I know, Sig 226 SAO Scorpion.

I open carry when I don’t need a cover garmet. Since I don’t wear t shirts, or sweatshirts, and my shirt is ALWAYS tucked in, that’s usually a lot. Wisconsin is no license open carry, but you need one to conceal. I have a CCL since it makes driving while open carry less of an issue. (Don’t care to be a test case....)

My wife says I’m “peculiar” since I always wear a collared shirt with a pocket, always tucked in. I decided 8 some years ago to open carry instead of changing the way I dress. This was right about the time WI got a concealed carry option, before that it was only open carry and hope for the best! This from a School District Administrator who should know better than to offend or insult ANYONE!!

Attachments

• 52F92230-5CF5-4C04-A615-BF9F78E6A3E6.jpeg
      52F92230-5CF5-4C04-A615-BF9F78E6A3E6.jpeg
      72.9 KB · Views: 13
    • 7077E823-5D6E-4C66-A653-E8B894D5E9FF.jpg
      7077E823-5D6E-4C66-A653-E8B894D5E9FF.jpg
      147.7 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you’re a Sig aficionado (I don’t know what erudite means?) you might enjoy these pictures. The one and only, as far as I know, Sig 226 SAO Scorpion.

I open carry when I don’t need a cover garmet. Since I don’t wear t shirts, or sweatshirts, and my shirt is ALWAYS tucked in, that’s usually a lot. Wisconsin is no license open carry, but you need one to conceal. I have a CCL since it makes driving while open carry less of an issue. (Don’t care to be a test case....)

My wife says I’m “peculiar” since I always wear a collared shirt with a pocket, always tucked in. I decided 8 some years ago to open carry instead of changing the way I dress. This was right about the time WI got a concealed carry option, before that it was only open carry and hope for the best! This from a School District Administrator who should know better than to offend or insult ANYONE!!

That SAO Scorpion is a beauty! Other than Legion SAO, I've only seen SAO P220s in real life.

Well, you have a year so start training!
    so, there’s a chance.......

We'd label that chance as . . . small. If I weren't taking a statistics class right now, I'd say "zero," but we'll have settle for P(rhino participating) < 0.0001.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Took the kids grocery shopping at the Meijer in Noblesville this afternoon and decided to open carry my G19 Safariland ALS combo.

I didn't get any dirty looks, but did notice a few people turn their heads when they saw the gun. I did have an older gentleman stop me to ask if I was police. (I was dressed in a white button down and khaki pants so maybe he thought I looked professional enough despite my sneakers and semi-scruffy beard.) I replied, ”No, just a responsible citizen."

He said he was former Indianapolis Police and said he likes to see civilians carrying.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Open carried on my daily dog walk down thru our small town, where there is the yearly Festival set up. Had 8-10 people ask to pet the dog but nothing was said about the firearm. One guy asked me if that was a K9/canine, which I always find to be an interesting question to answer.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've been open carrying on my bicycle rides which, over the past 10 days have taken me through Munster, Highland, Griffith, Schererville, and Dyer. During one of those rides I rode past a Highland squad car that was parked in a heavily used area in Wicker Park. There's a loop around the park that I sometimes use as part of my routes, many people use it for both walking and riding bicycles. Nobody, including the officer, had any reaction whatsoever. That is my typical experience about 99.99 percent of the time when I'm open carrying. I really think that people generally don't even notice me at all, much less the fact that I'm carrying. Just goes to show that being boring is not always a bad thing!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Stopped in Aldi after Church yesterday. My wife stood in line while I went to the bagging area. The security guard stood there staring at me with his baton out slapping his hand. He didn't have a gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stopped in Aldi after Church yesterday. My wife stood in line while I went to the bagging area. The security guard stood there staring at me with his baton out slapping his hand. He didn't have a gun.

dude. You misspelled “babysitter”. Security guards have guns.

Top Bottom