• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    Okay so my daughter has been wanting to hunt squirrel for some time now. It's new to my wife and myself also. We've taken her out to a friends place in Paragon where we seen one. Since then we have been to Atterbury twice and Morgan-Monroe SF three times all in different areas. We've walked trails, walked along roads, creeks, even sat today for about an hour in one spot surrounded by acorns and hickory nuts and not a single one. I've got a call that we've even tried a few times. Needless to say she has been frustrated for a while, but now I'm getting just down right annoyed. Can anyone suggest somewhere or something that we haven't tried yet. We would appreciate any help we can get right now....

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Come on up to my place and look out the front door. Take aim and fire. It would be that easy. Too bad I live in city limits.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Okay so my daughter has been wanting to hunt squirrel for some time now. It's new to my wife and myself also. We've taken her out to a friends place in Paragon where we seen one. Since then we have been to Atterbury twice and Morgan-Monroe SF three times all in different areas. We've walked trails, walked along roads, creeks, even sat today for about an hour in one spot surrounded by acorns and hickory nuts and not a single one. I've got a call that we've even tried a few times. Needless to say she has been frustrated for a while, but now I'm getting just down right annoyed. Can anyone suggest somewhere or something that we haven't tried yet. We would appreciate any help we can get right now....
    Find a comfortable tree and sit down against it and hurry up and wait. Sit tight and they will appear in 10-20 mins or so. Squirrels arent stupid...most know that you are not suppose to be there.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Sounds like too much walking around to me. Find a comfy stump or downed tree and relax for a bit. I wouldn't bother with the calls. What time are you hitting the woods? Squirrels are most active at dawn and dusk, though they can be found out and about most of the day.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I saw about a half dozen fresh kills on local roads this morning (almost hit one on the way home from church).

Perhaps you need to look closer to roads and streets (they seem to like playing frogger this time of year). :D

:ingo:

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    If you are limited to public land, then I'd hang it up until the deer season is over. Wandering around through a woods not knowing where the deer hunters are and them not knowing where you are at is not something that would make me feel very comfortable.

Deer hunters should only be using bows right now. Unless you run across an overzealous new crossbow hunter they should not pose a threat to you, but you will likely ruin a few days for the deer hunters by walking about so much.

ETA: There's also the classic answer of grab a bow and your deer license and you'll see plenty of squirrels and no deer.

PS: There are reasons deer hunters see so many squirrels. They are in position before the sun comes out and sit relatively motionless waiting for the right moment.

Last edited:

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I think all the squirrel are in my deer woods! A couple were coming within knifing distance!

(I had my son out for youth season)

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    Sounds like too much walking around to me. Find a comfy stump or downed tree and relax for a bit. What time are you hitting the woods? Squirrels are most active at dawn and dusk, though they can be found out and about most of the day.

That's what we did today at MMSF. We walked in the woods and sat in one spot for about half hour and then we moved to another spot about a quarter mile away and sat there for another 20 minutes and didn't see a damn thing. We went and had lunch in the "No Hunting - Safety Zone" where we seen three of them. After we had lunch we went back in a different area where me and my daughter went one way and my wife went another way. We all sat and waited for close to an hour without any luck.

Today we did get a bit of a late start, we didn't get out until about 0930. Normally we have been getting into the woods right around sun up.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    trying paying attention to whats happening on the ground around you. poor mast conditions will put them on the ground alot of the time. they love to cut roots and plants as much as the acorns and hickorys. good luck

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Deer hunters should only be using bows right now. Unless you run across an overzealous new crossbow hunter they should not pose a threat to you.

So let me get this straight a crossbow will automatically make you lose common sense and shoot a human, but a compound bow wouldnt in the hands of an "over zealous" new hunter as you put it? Where does all the crossbow hate come from:dunno:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    They are taking over my yard/woods. I see them everyday. In fact there is one squirrel that appears to be albino. I have seen him a couple of times in very short intervals but it looks almost white. Never seen anything like it. I would like to catch a picture or two of him if he gives me the chance. The two times I've seen him its at the end of the driveway while pulling up to the house.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    So let me get this straight a crossbow will automatically make you lose common sense and shoot a human, but a compound bow wouldnt in the hands of an "over zealous" new hunter as you put it? Where does all the crossbow hate come from:dunno:

Feeling sensitive? Where did I say a crossbow "automatically" makes one lose common sense? I believe I specifically said an "overzealous new crossbow hunter". Anyone with too much zeal can be dangerous. A new hunter, even more so. And one with a crossbow will likely have a bolt loaded and ready to fire the instant they see movement. The crossbow is also easier to be quickly proficient with (at least in my opinion), meaning there's a better chance that overzealous newbie will hit you. A hyped-up newbie that bought his compound bow two days ago and still doesn't understand his sights will likely miss his intended target by a mile.

Quit reading into things so much and being so thin-skinned when you do. I have no crossbow hate. I'm glad everyone is allowed the option. I think crossbows and the new bundle tags will add up to a lot more new hunters (which I'm excited about) and a lot more deer being taken (which I also consider a good thing).

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. My apologies to the OP for the threadjack.

Top Bottom