When you know its time to quit fixing and buy new.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We bought it in 2014. Don't recall those chats back then. Did you tell my wife? She wants what she wants
    I definitely remember telling you that it wouldn't be a wise purchase. But, no. I didn't tell her. Ain't my place.

I remember telling you that even a new set of tires and/or brakes were going to be $1000+

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    When your business depends on it, staying supported is a good thing.

I've never understood how even big companies run such outdated stuff with no support for years, in business critical functions.
    Ouch, this topic hurts my head! For starters, I agree with you MOST of the time. At other times, I never understand how a business can throw out something that JUST KEEPS WORKING in favor of a new fangled whatchamacallit that that know one knows what will happen. Too many times I've "Upgradded or Updated", only to be hit over the head with "If it ain't broke, why did you try to fix it!?"

As for 'Support', have you called much Tech Support lately? Fixing some old device/system I've been familiar with for years is almost always easier than understanding "Rloger" reading from a script in broken Engrish, and usually quicker than the hold times on the call!

I've been an IT Systems Engineer and consultant for over 20 years, and owned a couple of IT businesses. I've designed or redesigned and upgraded a lot of IT environments. Most of my clients are high traffic healthcare offices. I'd rather migrate the Servers than replace a printer in a check-out area. I call them "New Millennial Devices". They don't work much of the time, they are entitled to add bloatware you don't need or want, they use catchy (confusing) names for the simplest things (like a paper tray = multi-media alternate input port 2), and they think they know better than you how you should do everything. Then, when it screws things up, it prompts users to "Let me help you with that - click here :) ->", then trashes the environment, and still doesn't work. My tech will spend hours untangling the mess, and it will all work fine for a few months. The the printer does an update (you configured it NOT to do), or Windows updates, or Mars is in retrograde, or... and it all blows up again. I'd love, love, love to be able to buy NEW versions of the OLD devices that just did the job that needed done.

In healthcare IT, we must update and stay relatively current. I'm riddled with all the compliance shrapnel, and may have picked up IT-PTSD to boot. To rub salt in the wounds, this new crap makes us look like we don't know what we're doing. "They fixed this just a couple months ago. It keeps breaking and we can't get our work done. Honest, we didn't do anything...they just can't keep it working. Maybe they should call the support number on the printer."

Again, I agree Most of the time. Production is no place to pinch pennies, and reliable efficient systems pay for themselves MANY times over. IF the new stuff wasn't so disfunctional, I'd agree with you ALL the time.

Good luck, and may the Silicone God's smile on your new project and grant you peace!!!

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Ouch, this topic hurts my head! For starters, I agree with you MOST of the time. At other times, I never understand how a business can throw out something that JUST KEEPS WORKING in favor of a new fangled whatchamacallit that that know one knows what will happen. Too many times I've "Upgradded or Updated", only to be hit over the head with "If it ain't broke, why did you try to fix it!?"

As for 'Support', have you called much Tech Support lately? Fixing some old device/system I've been familiar with for years is almost always easier than understanding "Rloger" reading from a script in broken Engrish, and usually quicker than the hold times on the call!

I've been an IT Systems Engineer and consultant for over 20 years, and owned a couple of IT businesses. I've designed or redesigned and upgraded a lot of IT environments. Most of my clients are high traffic healthcare offices. I'd rather migrate the Servers than replace a printer in a check-out area. I call them "New Millennial Devices". They don't work much of the time, they are entitled to add bloatware you don't need or want, they use catchy (confusing) names for the simplest things (like a paper tray = multi-media alternate input port 2), and they think they know better than you how you should do everything. Then, when it screws things up, it prompts users to "Let me help you with that - click here :) ->", then trashes the environment, and still doesn't work. My tech will spend hours untangling the mess, and it will all work fine for a few months. The the printer does an update (you configured it NOT to do), or Windows updates, or Mars is in retrograde, or... and it all blows up again. I'd love, love, love to be able to buy NEW versions of the OLD devices that just did the job that needed done.

In healthcare IT, we must update and stay relatively current. I'm riddled with all the compliance shrapnel, and may have picked up IT-PTSD to boot. To rub salt in the wounds, this new crap makes us look like we don't know what we're doing. "They fixed this just a couple months ago. It keeps breaking and we can't get our work done. Honest, we didn't do anything...they just can't keep it working. Maybe they should call the support number on the printer."

Again, I agree Most of the time. Production is no place to pinch pennies, and reliable efficient systems pay for themselves MANY times over. IF the new stuff wasn't so disfunctional, I'd agree with you ALL the time.

Good luck, and may the Silicone God's smile on your new project and grant you peace!!!

Just last week Microsoft updates bricked my printer port to my EFI Fiery server on one copier, for no particular reason. Three other servers/printers just fine - just the one affected. Added new port and print drivers to two computers on Friday, then Monday, two other computers affected, after they did their updates.

It never freakin ends!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just last week Microsoft updates bricked my printer port to my EFI Fiery server on one copier, for no particular reason. Three other servers/printers just fine - just the one affected. Added new port and print drivers to two computers on Friday, then Monday, two other computers affected, after they did their updates.

It never freakin ends!

There have been some significant updates around Print Spooler the last few months. Not sure if that's what got you. But yes, these days it's never ending.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There have been some significant updates around Print Spooler the last few months. Not sure if that's what got you. But yes, these days it's never ending.
    No. Its part of a kit we absorbed during an acquisition. They just kept doing what they have always done, but now they are in a new office and their shirts have a different company name on them. It is driven by a Vista based system, and thats gotta go due to no more patches. We cant kick the can down the road any longer.

As a last result, we are reaching out to the company that makes the software that actually sends the data to the printer to see if they have ever made it work with the dedicated HP print servers we use everywhere. Just swapping it out to one resulted in gibberish instead of the part details/barcodes that should be there.

And the most frustrating bit? Its the same damn printer, just with a different part number. Same chassis, same "ink" carts, etc. I'm sure they just upgraded some circuit boards internally and called it new.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No. Its part of a kit we absorbed during an acquisition. They just kept doing what they have always done, but now they are in a new office and their shirts have a different company name on them. It is driven by a Vista based system, and thats gotta go due to no more patches. We cant kick the can down the road any longer.

As a last result, we are reaching out to the company that makes the software that actually sends the data to the printer to see if they have ever made it work with the dedicated HP print servers we use everywhere. Just swapping it out to one resulted in gibberish instead of the part details/barcodes that should be there.

And the most frustrating bit? Its the same damn printer, just with a different part number. Same chassis, same "ink" carts, etc. I'm sure they just upgraded some circuit boards internally and called it new.
    Was talking about @mmpsteve

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

And I fully understand the frustration. Way back when I had to setup printer libraries on VAX servers for whatever printer anyone decided to buy… and then figure out how to get it to print their custom forms just like their other completely different brand printer, etc. I still hate printers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I fully understand the frustration. Way back when I had to setup printer libraries on VAX servers for whatever printer anyone decided to buy… and then figure out how to get it to print their custom forms just like their other completely different brand printer, etc. I still hate printers.
    Thank God that except for the copier debacle, we are allowed to have set standards. And if you buy a printer outside that? Tough. figure out how to make it work yourself. We wont support anything outside our approved list.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Well, I'm not so bad, but watch out for that Printcraft dude!

You were right though. It was updates to Print Spooler that caused my issue. Networking, copiers, and printers has always had it's challenges, but it seems like I didn't used to worry about updates bricking my whole operation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom